• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    ADDED: Had my eye on a Kimber or a Browning. Let's see . . . 5% off a $800 - $900 gun saves me how much ??
    $40-$45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ill tell you my experience at Gander Outdoor's so called "Grand Opening". First, I was taken back that for a Grand Opening there were no freebies to draw people into the store. I did see those stupid plastic 5 gal. buckets, the wife wanted me to bring one home for the yard, but on Sat. 8/4 the cashier told me they weren't giving them away that day, it was the following day (Sun.) No big deal, I was there to shop for a new featherweight .308 rifle in either Tikka or Win. model 70 and to the store's credit it had a decent inventory. They had both rifles that interested me. I looked at the ones they had and the sales clerks on both days were very helpful and attentive. One person posted to this thread that the store looked great inside. Personally, to me, in a previous life having been in retail, I thought the merchandise was not displayed as well and orderly as the old Gander Mountain, which incidentally, had many more firearms in its inventory. The rifle that I zeroed in on while looking there was the Model 70 featherweight- sweeeet, let me tell you. The only hiccup was the 3 stage safety was a little loud and took two fingertips to lock it into the safety's 3rd position. The tip of the safety was pointed and felt a little sharp when I worked the safety. I came back again on Sunday to look at it once again and decided that when I bought a rifle I could overlook that slight issue and it would be the Win 70. On the way out, the cashier had those "free" buckets at the end of the counter. Asked again and she said oh, no you have to spend $25 or more or join the Good Sam club! Seriously? That told me all that i need to know. The prices were about the same as before and this new company can't even throw a decent grand opening. Trust me on this- you heard it from the old Gamegetter-Gander Outdoors, won't last long IMHO. Until then, i'll still go in there, while it's hot outside, to look at guns, but I will buy them elsewhere.

I bet they wish they would have just given you a bucket if they ever see this. I hope the store makes it, I don't like to wish bad things on anyone. If you buy online, yeah, it will be a little less expensive, but after you add the shipping, FFL, and not 100% sure what will arrive in the box....? someone has to help pay the power bill..... I thought it was a nice store, I don't buy a lot of stiff like this, but I'll go back and support them.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Gander was the only place I could find an AICS magazine. Unfortunately, it was the Magpul kind, and the feedlips are too thick.
    However, I was so happy with their service when I took back the opened package, I decided to buy some reasonably priced 9mm ammo with the cash.
    Quickly becoming my go-to outdoors shop.
    I hear they hydrodip too.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Anyone that's been there notice any Bergara HMRs or Howa HCRs? Tikka TAC A1s? I need to find the time to mosey over there...

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Went there last Friday and pretty sure there was a Bergara HMR on display at the far left of the counter. They had several Bergaras, I looked at a really nice B-14 with a standard wood stock.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Went there last Friday and pretty sure there was a Bergara HMR on display at the far left of the counter. They had several Bergaras, I looked at a really nice B-14 with a standard wood stock.

Thanks - been kicking the idea of an HMR around for a while but I haven't seen one in town yet. Might swing by this afternoon.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    almost bought a .45 in there last week, (impulse buy) I have to thank them for having 2 prices (one for members and one for the rest of the folk) I decided not to buy once I learned it was 40-50 more bucks because I wasn't a member. But I'll go back and buy some stuff.... prices are about what they are online, and after you add the ffl and shipping, its about the same, I'd sooner keep my business local....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For the people that are gonna use GO as their LGS for not just firesrms,but ALL associated equipment,I would suggest that you go ahead and get a Good Sam membership. Will save you 10%. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    In Gander Outdoors this AM. - - -> Great supply of AR's,both large and small receivers. Some "bolt AR's". No Pierce Grip extensions. 380ACP ammo was waaaaay overpriced. Reloader supplies ??? Extremely limited powder,primers,brass, . . . NO BULLETS. Great supply of loaded ammo but overpriced.
    I really believe that all prices have been raised due to the time of the year. NO sales that I saw.
    Gander is just another one of the places,like some of the LGS's,that when your walking out your telling yourself . . . "I'll order online". --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In Gander Outdoors this AM. - - -> Great supply of AR's,both large and small receivers. Some "bolt AR's". No Pierce Grip extensions. 380ACP ammo was waaaaay overpriced. Reloader supplies ??? Extremely limited powder,primers,brass, . . . NO BULLETS. Great supply of loaded ammo but overpriced.
    I really believe that all prices have been raised due to the time of the year. NO sales that I saw.
    Gander is just another one of the places,like some of the LGS's,that when your walking out your telling yourself . . . "I'll order online". --- SAWMAN

I'm learning that local stores are a good place to visit to check out an item in person before making the purchase online! Many times I've been interested in something but wanted to check it out first in a local store and then ordered it online via my phone before even leaving the store. It makes no sense to me how much they overprice stuff, if the price was close I'd by it in the store but online prices most of the time save you a lot of money. The most overpriced store I've visited is West Marine. It amazes me that the only store that competes with online pricing is Walmart.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm learning that local stores are a good place to visit to check out an item in person before making the purchase online! Many times I've been interested in something but wanted to check it out first in a local store and then ordered it online via my phone before even leaving the store. It makes no sense to me how much they overprice stuff, if the price was close I'd by it in the store but online prices most of the time save you a lot of money. The most overpriced store I've visited is West Marine. It amazes me that the only store that competes with online pricing is Walmart.
    Walmart throughout the US likely move 50 times more merchandise than the top 10 other retailers or online sources with the exception of amazon or ebay.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not a big box sportng goods store fan, Wally ammo isn't too bad. ACADEMY runs some good sales but driving 90 miles voids any savings for me.

I like the smaller local dealers. Find one you like, deal with the owner and do repeat business (even small purchases), introduce yourself and learn his name, shake hands. Call him by name every visit and remind him of yours. This builds a relationship. This was how business use to be done everywhere you shopped locally, too bad it has become lost in todays rush and impersonal environment. After a short time you're recognized and known as a repeat customer. Now when negotiating prices on spendy items you will get more consideration than one visit Johnny On-Line wanting an absurd price match. Not all guns can be found on gun-peddler.internet sites. A dealer that knows you as a serious buyer will put in more time searching various distributers inventories to find that hard to locate or high demand gun AND set up an Account with them in order to get it for you!

This may be too Old School for folks that 95% of their socializing via an App but there's real significance to handshake. You'll know just about everything you need to know from the firmness and enthusiasm. That holds true with the Ladies too but that's another Chapter.

Especially with the local shops: if your gonna grope the guns then buy on-line; at least buy an item or two to support his business or you may have to drive further to find a Shop still in business later on.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not a big box sportng goods store fan, Wally ammo isn't too bad. ACADEMY runs some good sales but driving 90 miles voids any savings for me.

I like the smaller local dealers. Find one you like, deal with the owner and do repeat business (even small purchases), introduce yourself and learn his name, shake hands. Call him by name every visit and remind him of yours. This builds a relationship. This was how business use to be done everywhere you shopped locally, too bad it has become lost in todays rush and impersonal environment. After a short time you're recognized and known as a repeat customer. Now when negotiating prices on spendy items you will get more consideration than one visit Johnny On-Line wanting an absurd price match. Not all guns can be found on gun-peddler.internet sites. A dealer that knows you as a serious buyer will put in more time searching various distributers inventories to find that hard to locate or high demand gun AND set up an Account with them in order to get it for you!

This may be too Old School for folks that 95% of their socializing via an App but there's real significance to handshake. You'll know just about everything you need to know from the firmness and enthusiasm. That holds true with the Ladies too but that's another Chapter.

Especially with the local shops: if your gonna grope the guns then buy on-line; at least buy an item or two to support his business or you may have to drive further to find a Shop still in business later on.

I guess I misstated, I was referring to local big box stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc not being able to compete with Walrmart. As far as guns go I bought a few of my first guns from Walmart but in general I buy online or at my go to local store which is Jimmy's Pawn Shop in FWB. I've bought enough guns there that they know me and will generally deal with me on price. Now that I'm thinking about I might have to stop in there today if I can get out of work early!

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Went to Gander yesterday. Son gave me a $50 gift card for Christmas there. Just found out they are carrying Suppressors now. Nothing I would like but they do have them in stock.

Bought some Wiley X Sunglasses, Larger Bow Target than I already had, Some bow wax and wife found her a shirt.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Whole case of suppressors. Dead air and sig. Also a few silent legion. Lots of used guns in the case today as well. Glock 17 for 345. That should be gone by now. It was there this morning.

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to Gander yesterday. Son gave me a $50 gift card for Christmas there. Just found out they are carrying Suppressors now. Nothing I would like but they do have them in stock.

Bought some Wiley X Sunglasses, Larger Bow Target than I already had, Some bow wax and wife found her a shirt.

smaller target will make you a better shot. Bigger target = rapid fire from your quiver!!! hah!

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Whole case of suppressors. Dead air and sig. Also a few silent legion. Lots of used guns in the case today as well. Glock 17 for 345. That should be gone by now. It was there this morning.

Glock was still there about an hour ago. Looks to be a really clean Gen 3

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would be hesitant to purchase a suppressor from somewhere that doesn't do a lot of them. Too many mistakes can happen with filling out the forms which delays my taking possession. Just my 2 cents. If Gander wasn't so far away for me, I would probably check them out more often just to peruse their used inventory. That's my favorite thing to do in gun shops.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At Gander Outdoors today. - - -> Seems to be even more firearms that usual. Could be that they just rearranged some stuff that makes it look more and/or bigger.
    Was looking for several different chamberings by different manufacturers. I am interested in the Bergara B-14 series in 22-250 because of the 1:9 twist. Will easily outrun a Valkyrie I would think. And with the twist rate down from the old assed 1:14 it should be great "way out yonder" with the >62gr bullets. The Ruger American has a 1:10.)
    For the 6.5Creedmoor fan boyz . . . they have tons of them in both bolt and AR's.
    Grest choices of rifle scopes,knives (bought one for my wife),and AR parts,including AR stripped and complete lowers. A few surpressors in stock also.
    As usual,great supply of factory ammo and some reloading consumables. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom