• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey all.. for those of you running a AR style PCC, what buffer setup do you use? I am running a Kaw Valley Precision 7.5oz buffer with their heavy spring (pretty sure thats just the equivalent of a 308 spring) and I just feel like I am getting more recoil that I should out of a 9mm rifle. For plinking its nothing noticeable, but when running Speed Steel or USPSA where I am double tapping I just feel like the sights are coming off the target a bit more than than I would like. I am considering buying one of the Hydraulic systems (Tappcom, MBX, Blitzkrieg, etc) but I figured why not ask around some before dropping anymore money. Any thoughts and/or input would be appreciated... thanks all!

SGB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm running a Spikes ST-9X 9mm heavy buffer (7.7oz) and a standard buffer spring and I have no problems double tapping the plates on the plate rack before they can drop.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I ran one with the VLTOR A5 H4(6.83) and a sprinco heavy carbine spring then moved onto a JPSCS. Not sure what kind of recoil you're expecting but the blowback setup is going to "recoil" more than an AR because of the heavy bolt and buffer moving around. I wouldn't say the recoil is bad but the gun definitely moves more. It took some technique and practice to get used to the sights moving around.

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I ran one with the VLTOR A5 H4(6.83) and a sprinco heavy carbine spring then moved onto a JPSCS. Not sure what kind of recoil you're expecting but the blowback setup is going to "recoil" more than an AR because of the heavy bolt and buffer moving around. I wouldn't say the recoil is bad but the gun definitely moves more. It took some technique and practice to get used to the sights moving around.

Yeah.. I would not call the recoil bad by any means.. I guess I am just trying to be picky and see what kind of options are out there to create the softest shooting PCC I can. Just want it to shoot as soft as my 10/22.. but that might be asking a bit much.. lol.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I had a couple of WC PCCs, as well as a JP. They were all factory built so they had whatever buffer they ship with. in the WC, I believe it was the equivalent of an H3, but with a very very heavy spring, but I could be wrong. The JP felt smoother and used this:
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP...ng-Gen-2-for-9MM-AR-type-ri-p/jp-scs2-9mm.htm
    However, I wanted the softest shooting, most reliable PCC I could possibly get. So I got an MP5 and never looked back.
    600cb9661af824500629d40f34a1e2ce.jpg

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a couple of WC PCCs, as well as a JP. They were all factory built so they had whatever buffer they ship with. in the WC, I believe it was the equivalent of an H3, but with a very very heavy spring, but I could be wrong. The JP felt smoother and used this:
    https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP...ng-Gen-2-for-9MM-AR-type-ri-p/jp-scs2-9mm.htm
    However, I wanted the softest shooting, most reliable PCC I could possibly get. So I got an MP5 and never looked back.
    600cb9661af824500629d40f34a1e2ce.jpg

Love the MP5.. I bet that thing is a blast to shoot!! (pun intended.. lol)

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After talking to a buddy of mine I am going to take the weight out of my BCG and try it with the setup I have now. Based on a post from BEnos forum, that will cut about 3oz out of the reciprocating weight so maybe it will soften it up some. If not, I may look at doing the JPSCS or some other option next.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Love the MP5.. I bet that thing is a blast to shoot!! (pun intended.. lol)
    So much fun. Especially since I fixed the sight picture and put a better trigger in i along with extended safety those two changes are absolutely necessary IMO.
    It’s particularly fun to shoot Suppressed, but ROs don’t like that since the shot timer won’t pick it up.
    The funny part to me is that while I never took the AR9s seriously, this feels totally legit. And they do the exact same thing. Lol

You’d be happy with JPs buffer, it’s very nice and smooth.
    Are you increasing the spring with the weight drop?

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So much fun. Especially since I fixed the sight picture and put a better trigger in i along with extended safety those two changes are absolutely necessary IMO.
    It’s particularly fun to shoot Suppressed, but ROs don’t like that since the shot timer won’t pick it up.
    The funny part to me is that while I never took the AR9s seriously, this feels totally legit. And they do the exact same thing. Lol

You’d be happy with JPs buffer, it’s very nice and smooth.
    Are you increasing the spring with the weight drop?

The spring is currently the "heavy" spring that comes with the KVP 7.5oz buffer. Which I am pretty sure is just a 308 flat wire spring. I have a JPSCS in my AR I built for 3Gun, and I love it in that gun so I figure that is the way I will go if this freebie change doesnt dial it in like I want.

Top Bottom