• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You left something out ...... further what you describe as a "shove" many see as a SLAM ........ perception in the mind of the shooter is the key here, from what I can see it's reasonable to believe that in the shooter's mind he was in "FEAR" of great bodily harm after having just been violently assaulted.

Very true, once things take a physical turn it is hard to jump inside the mind of the shooter and for all we know he truly was in fear for his life.

As many have posted there were dumb decisions made by all parties it seems.

The shooter should not have started a verbal altercation with someone, man or woman, over a parking spot while exercising his right to carry. Is it illegal? No, but responsible and implied. If you start an argument there is always the potential of escalation to the point of physical violence. If you are too old to roll around anymore that's understandable and self protection by any means is your God given right, but while carrying a gun, that guy should probably not have been picking a fight over a parking space.

The assaulter appears to be a big guy that should have easily known that he could he could have pulped the shooter no problem, so why shove or slam a guy that you know you can beat anyway? He could have just brushed it off and got in his car and been on his way. For "reasons" he felt the need to shove a guy weaker than him and he paid a hefty price.

As to perception in the mind of the shooter. That is where we have to be careful as responsible gun owners and set a good example so as to not be scrutinized by gun grabbers.

Example
    A vet recently returns from the war and is riding the bus alongside an arab looking man with turban, beard and rubbing prayer beads. The middle eastern man is heard mumbling to himself "Ala Akbar" is he praying or getting ready to detonate a bomb? The vet remembers a similar looking individual saying Ala Akbar right before blowing himself up and taking his buddy with him. So the firearm packing vet is truly in fear now for his life, draws and blows the arab guy away. Turns out he was just praying to himself, no bomb, no gun, nada. Should we set that legal precedent and rule it a good shooting?

Another example
    A CCW carrying mother used to walk her neighborhood streets with her toddler son. Years ago and a drunk in a purple SUV traveling 50 in a 25 hits her child and kills him. Fast forward and she is walking her newborn son and sees a purple SUV speeding down the street. She draws and kills the driver because in her mind she was truly in fear of her kids life. Yes the guy was speeding, but not drunk, and not close to her or her kid. Good shooting?

I guess what I am trying to say in all my rambling is that when it can be such as having video etc, deadly force should be quantifiable to an extent. Otherwise we would all be shooting each other and telling cops that we are in fear for our lives. It is just a slippery slope. I am grateful the stand your ground law exists specifically if a shooting were to happen with no witnesses or cameras. We just should not abuse the law in light of clear evidence that a loss of life did not need to take place.

Again just my opinion, and as stated it seems everyone involved made some poor decisions and unfortunately it cost a man his life.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Very true, once things take a physical turn it is hard to jump inside the mind of the shooter and for all we know he truly was in fear for his life.

As many have posted there were dumb decisions made by all parties it seems.

The shooter should not have started a verbal altercation with someone, man or woman, over a parking spot while exercising his right to carry. Is it illegal? No, but responsible and implied. If you start an argument there is always the potential of escalation to the point of physical violence. If you are too old to roll around anymore that's understandable and self protection by any means is your God given right, but while carrying a gun, that guy should probably not have been picking a fight over a parking space.

The assaulter appears to be a big guy that should have easily known that he could he could have pulped the shooter no problem, so why shove or slam a guy that you know you can beat anyway? He could have just brushed it off and got in his car and been on his way. For "reasons" he felt the need to shove a guy weaker than him and he paid a hefty price.

As to perception in the mind of the shooter. That is where we have to be careful as responsible gun owners and set a good example so as to not be scrutinized by gun grabbers.

Example
    A vet recently returns from the war and is riding the bus alongside an arab looking man with turban, beard and rubbing prayer beads. The middle eastern man is heard mumbling to himself "Ala Akbar" is he praying or getting ready to detonate a bomb? The vet remembers a similar looking individual saying Ala Akbar right before blowing himself up and taking his buddy with him. So the firearm packing vet is truly in fear now for his life, draws and blows the arab guy away. Turns out he was just praying to himself, no bomb, no gun, nada. Should we set that legal precedent and rule it a good shooting?

Another example
    A CCW carrying mother used to walk her neighborhood streets with her toddler son. Years ago and a drunk in a purple SUV traveling 50 in a 25 hits her child and kills him. Fast forward and she is walking her newborn son and sees a purple SUV speeding down the street. She draws and kills the driver because in her mind she was truly in fear of her kids life. Yes the guy was speeding, but not drunk, and not close to her or her kid. Good shooting?

I guess what I am trying to say in all my rambling is that when it can be such as having video etc, deadly force should be quantifiable to an extent. Otherwise we would all be shooting each other and telling cops that we are in fear for our lives. It is just a slippery slope. I am grateful the stand your ground law exists specifically if a shooting were to happen with no witnesses or cameras. We just should not abuse the law in light of clear evidence that a loss of life did not need to take place.

Again just my opinion, and as stated it seems everyone involved made some poor decisions and unfortunately it cost a man his life.

Not to argue for the sake of arguing, but your examples may be false equivalent:
    Did portly in the 4Runner ever gets his butt whipped after confronting a woman before?
    Your examples are of people who have experienced prior trauma, and I would personally give them more leeway because of it.
    Now idk, maybe the shooter in the video has gotten his Bell ring a half dozen times, maybe even typically blind sided, while asking people to provide their handicap sticker at that convince store. Would that knowledge change our views of the shooting?

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi Everyone,

I live in Clearwater.
    The African American community here pretty much has a victim card so they act like they can do no wrong. It is rather "black identity" and their culture.

From their perspective alone, that incident could have developed this way:

https://youtu.be/YkwIT-kKyHE

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It looked to me like he was about to start kicking him after pulling up his pants - that is until the guy begins to draw... Maybe the next tough guy will think twice before blindly assaulting someone.

But then, arguing with a thugette because she feels entitled to the empty blue parking spot simply isn’t worth it in my minds. It wasn’t going to change anything.

As much as I’d like to give vehicles a ticket when they shouldn’t be parking there or using grandmas placard when she isn’t in the car - I’m not going to go looking to confront people doing so as this guy had a history of doing...

No winners here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Like I said in my 1st post in this thread, the police/sheriffs office didn't charge them but I knew the State would pick it up... It'll go to trial but where it goes from there will depend on the jury pool. If I were the defendant I would want the trial moved to another location.

Police shot an armed man the other day who was in the process of pulling his gun out and was killed by 2 officers. of course the family and community is protesting saying the want the officers charged with murder and that was after all the facts were laid out!!! These dern protestors get their ways and instead of being shut down (like in Portland) they let them get away with violence and free camping leaving all their trash behind!!! It's disgusting!

Hawkins

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    MFer should have kept his hands to himself. Maybe the next asshole will think twice.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drejka minded his own buisness we wouldn't have this conversation. Here is a link to a Facebook live video I did and it is public for all to see because there is alot that needed to be said. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=204463593581910&id=100020548126953

It's about fear of serious bodily harm or death. I'm not sure if you know it, but if you physically assault someone, especially if they are smaller and older, you are committing a felony and in states where there are stand your ground laws, the victim has no duty to retreat. Media propaganda and opinions aside, if you attack someone, you may very well be shot within the law!

Mic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have only drawn my CCW once. While traveling through Destin a man got out of his truck at a red light (I had observed him riding bumpers and aggressively changing lanes for a couple of miles as he approached where I was from the rear). As he came by me I glanced over at the truck to see if there was some emergency as to why he was driving so erratically. I didn't even think enough about it to even keep an eye on him any longer. Next thing I know he was standing at my window challenging me to get out of my car. With restraint, I had a Glock .40 pointed at his mid section and he didn't even know it. He soon gave up and went back to his truck. He will never know how much danger he was in. Point is, I carry a gun for my protection, not for retaliation. In my opinion, this shooting looked like retaliation. Everyone could have walked away from this one. Everyone should have.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s good to know that so many are willing and able to take an ass whipping.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    . . . . .and I have been friendly with so many here thinking that they would protect me.
    Sheeeeesh !! ---- SAWMAN

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I got your back Sawman, but you are always better armed than I am. My attitude, Touch me fool, It is a Felony, I am over 65 and if I feel like I am in fear of anything you are dead. I am an old man and will not sit still for a beating, so don't F**k with me.

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Everyone could have walked away from this one. Everyone should have.

You mean the violent agressor could have, should have walked away, right?

And do you mean the retaliation was a violent attack for being an old annoying rule enforcer?

Ricochet

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Different way to say it, is many of us are unwilling to kill another human for a simple shove.
    Different way to say it is: many of us are human enough not to violently attack another more vulnerable human with bodily harm over a perceived offense.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You mean the violent agressor could have, should have walked away, right?

And do you mean the retaliation was a violent attack for being an old annoying rule enforcer?

No body should have died in that situation. The weapon should not have been fired. If he is prosecuted the jury will have a hard time accepting that this killing was justified. If he does go to trial he is going to need some kind of expert to explain what stress does to a persons perception and field of vision etc . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom