• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I bought a Glock 40 MOS off of Gunbroker brand new and had them equip it with a Leupold Delta Point. I realized that red dots and my eyes don't play nice. I put it up for trade here, but no interest, so I just decided to go with Sawman's suggestion and put a green laser Viridian on it.

Soo, go to start taking off the delta point and put the standard Glock plate back on. The place that installed the DP used a bunch of blue loctite it appears. I got the delta point screws off OK. But when taking off the MOS plate - which is a smaller size star bit(10 I think), I had a heck of a time. I stripped one of the screws out, got one of them out finally ok. I ended up having to drill the head of the stripped one off to get the MOS plate off. I was able to put the base plate back on with one screw and it holds it in place fine.

But - it bothers the hell out of me. What would be the best route to take - call Glock and see if they would get it back to standard specs for me, try a local gunsmith or just live with it?

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Call glock and see what they have to say or get up with JJ (oneshot) and he is sure to square you away

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    By the way who installed the sight and did you call them? I would at least let them know that they have someone screwing customers firearms up and if they are a stand up company they will take care of you.

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Thanks, will probably see what a gunsmith can do for it I suppose. I would have to go back and look, but it's the gun shop I bought it from on gunbroker that put it on there. Not anyone around here. Doubt they would do much for me.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Might be ahead of yourself if you buy a new slide, and sell the other one (maybe on ebay). You'll probably recoup enough from the sale and the difference lost may be less than what a smith will charge you.

Army_of_One

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    By the way who installed the sight and did you call them? I would at least let them know that they have someone screwing customers firearms up and if they are a stand up company they will take care of you.

Not seeing where the company who installed the sight did anything wrong. OP admitted he stripped the screws.

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Not seeing where the company who installed the sight did anything wrong. OP admitted he stripped the screws.

I agree, I'm the one that stripped the screw and as I stated above, that place isn't going to care or do anything about it. But loading those tiny screws up with loctite was pretty unnecessary. Searching around on google, stripping out these screws is a pretty common issue, so it's obviously not a great design from Glock to begin with.

I talked to Glock, they said that in order to get a new slide from them, I would have to send this one back and they destroy it before they could sell me a new one...but that he didn't think they even had those in stock right now. He did say I could send it back to them and they "could try and get that screw extracted for me". I've sent oneshot a PM, maybe he can help me out.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You should have been able to remove the screw IF it was installed using BLUE LocTite. I use that all the time or clear fingernail polish. Using either . . . a little goes a long way.
    If the screw was a "Torx" #10,that is pretty small,however it should have come out and not strip using steady,straight down torque.
    Probably too small for easy out. Probably will have to drill it out all the way.
    JJ can get it out . . . GUARANTEED !! ---- SAWMAN

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Loktite on those screws is necessary to prevent your RMR from flying off. The problem is using undersized wrenches. The one thats included in the kit is garbage.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    It's not Necessary to use so much Loctite that you can't get the screw back off as sawman stated Loctite or clear fingernail polish works great when used in moderation

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You should have been able to remove the screw IF it was installed using BLUE LocTite. I use that all the time or clear fingernail polish. Using either . . . a little goes a long way.
    If the screw was a "Torx" #10,that is pretty small,however it should have come out and not strip using steady,straight down torque.
    Probably too small for easy out. Probably will have to drill it out all the way.
    JJ can get it out . . . GUARANTEED !! ---- SAWMAN

Yeah, it's a 10 and I wasn't using the included tool, was using a screwdriver style torx tool, there was just a ton of the loctite for the size screws, I had gun in vise, yadda, yadda...it is what it is, the screw is stripped now and I'm just trying to solve it. I have a PM out to JJ.

Anyways, thanks for the advice on the Viridian Sawman, have one on the way, Palmetto has a pretty good deal on them right now.

ChrisC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I get it, you wouldn't have had this problem. Thanks so much for your helpful input.

it was a reply to Bowfreak's post. a little testy aren't we... good luck on your first world problem.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From Mfg Site Locktite Threadlocker Blue 242:
    RECOMMENDED FOR Use on metal fasteners 1/4' (6 mm) to 3/4' (19 mm) in diameter such as bolts on small engines, swing sets and furniture

I take the measurements as shank/thread diameter. I think a lot of optics mounts, bases and plates commonly use fasteners smaller then 1/4 inch which falls outside Mfg guidance. I quit using it unless its a repeat loss of torque (like my PT1911 rear sight mount screw).

Instead of Locktite, I use Torque-Seal (TM) to "mark a line" across the fastener onto surface it mounts against. If line cracks or shifts out of alignment: it lost set tightness. It allows you to visually check fastners at a glance, no tools, busting existing locktite bond or need to remove other parts to access other fasteners. Come in bright and subdued colors. Tube is $4(+-).

hallb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You can’t grasp what’s left of the screw with some needle nose pliers?
    Pics would help.

There is nothing left sticking out.

Yeah, wildrider, I don't care how much loctite claims that the blue stuff should allow a fastener to be removed with standard hand tools, this stuff was piled on a TINY screw and as much as I tried to delicately get it out with the best #10 torx tool I had, it wasn't budging. And end result is it's stripped out and I'm going to be contacting JJ today to resolve.

So thank you to those of you who have provided helpful info and feedback.

Top Bottom