• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lnDc480OhU

Short video less than 2 minutes

First this is no pro or anti police thread, it is about tactics. This is simply a video that shows three situations where the police shot at a suspect through the front windshield of the police cruiser. In each case, the suspect was believed to be armed and dangerous -

I was surprised by two things watching the video. First, I would have expected glass fragments (even micro fragments) to have hit the officer shooting through their windows but the windshields held together really well. Second, in the second video, the officer makes a long range shot (40-50 yards?) at an individual on foot, a suspected armed robber, and seems to get good hits on the suspect. I would have thought the bullet deflection would have made getting good hits at that range nearly impossible especially from a moving vehicle.

Is shooting through the windshield something that officer are being trained to do?

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thank you! On the video the bullet shot a good 12" high at 10 feet. That makes the officers hits at such a long distance on the second video I posted all the more impressive.

I am working my way through the article now. Thanks for that as well.

Edited to add - I just finished the article, very informative. thanks again

Last edited:

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Saw the shooting in Vegas on the news the other morning. Did not think that would be allowed other than to save a life. Seems like driving and shooting through the windshield would make it easy for a bystander to get hit.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    should have dumped another mag, killed them both...save money in the long run, find their family, kick them out of the country, bulldozer their house....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Shooting through the windshield,directly in front of you,of a moving vechicle,by anyone,especially a police officer,is a really,REALLY, dumb move. The typical spray & pray.
    Only one thing would justify shooting through the windshield from inside to outside . . . vechicle stopped,BG walks up in front of your car and points a weapon at you. No time to try to exit vechicle + vech will give you a certain amount of protection. Pull your weapon and let 'er rip.
    If this is normal/standard practice for that department . . . pretty sad. --- SAWMAN

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    and they stopped at a school and he just kept firing. im sure those rounds werent target rounds, lol. could have easily went through the building. could have been noone there. so many variables you think about while watching. looked like a movie scene

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    i had the Whiskey Tango out on the reload too...then again.. I have never reloaded under that much stress. I also wonder how many rounds went through the same hole.nowhere near the same amount of deflection if any

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was part of discussion elsewhere on this. One of the participants mentioned he had shot out the tires of a car he was pursuing using an RMR on his glock. Such a technique is not unknown. Others that were long time LEOs said it was clear that the Las Vegas officer had been trained with a revolver originally that accounted for his clumsy handing of the pistol. Those trained with revolvers transfer the empty revolver to the left hand for ejection of empties and reloading. I was so instructed by a secret service agent on how to properly handle a revolver.
    Apparently for accurate shooting through the window enough shots have to be fired to remove enough windshield to allow non-deflected shooting.
    As a civilian I was alarmed that some of the shooting occurred under conditions where the officer could not be sure that none of bullets would not hit a bystander. But the final shots at the school wall I think were not as bad. There was a brick wall without any apparent windows. Pistol bullets normally do not do a good job of penetrating masonry walls.
    Since no civilians were hurt the local PD seems to be ok with the shooting.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Uhhhhh . . . . . I know your not sayin' that the officer told himself . . . "now lets see,I am using a pistol rd that only puts out XX energy and XX penetration and that wall is XX thick and XX high and it should be OK to shoot in that direction" are you ??
    No,your saying that the wall just happened to be there. When he was shooting,he did not have a clue that the wall was even there,right ??
    He just "got lucky". We will most likely never know the full extent of property damage also. This could have easily turned out much worse. --- SAWMAN

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This particular shooting will be justified (even though the news are not on LEO's side) due to the lethal force of the scroats firing at the officers while in pursuit. They stopped at the school and of course folks are gonna cringe about shots being fired around a school so what do they think, just let the scroats go into the school and take hostages...? You gotta deal with situations fast and until you have been in a deadly force situation, you will criticize a little more harshly.

Now this is a great through the windshield shooting (AR) that happened about a year ago.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KurkBRjgw

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bet a gun going off inside a closed vehicle is extremely loud, their ears have to permanently ring now.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This particular shooting will be justified (even though the news are not on LEO's side) due to the lethal force of the scroats firing at the officers while in pursuit. They stopped at the school and of course folks are gonna cringe about shots being fired around a school so what do they think, just let the scroats go into the school and take hostages...? You gotta deal with situations fast and until you have been in a deadly force situation, you will criticize a little more harshly.

Now this is a great through the windshield shooting (AR) that happened about a year ago.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KurkBRjgw

What’s a scroat?

I was part of discussion elsewhere on this. One of the participants mentioned he had shot out the tires of a car he was pursuing using an RMR on his glock. Such a technique is not unknown. Others that were long time LEOs said it was clear that the Las Vegas officer had been trained with a revolver originally that accounted for his clumsy handing of the pistol. Those trained with revolvers transfer the empty revolver to the left hand for ejection of empties and reloading. I was so instructed by a secret service agent on how to properly handle a revolver.
    Apparently for accurate shooting through the window enough shots have to be fired to remove enough windshield to allow non-deflected shooting.
    As a civilian I was alarmed that some of the shooting occurred under conditions where the officer could not be sure that none of bullets would not hit a bystander. But the final shots at the school wall I think were not as bad. There was a brick wall without any apparent windows. Pistol bullets normally do not do a good job of penetrating masonry walls.
    Since no civilians were hurt the local PD seems to be ok with the shooting.

That’s what I thought too, especially with him wrapping his left thumb around his right hand like that.
    I can’t beleive noones noticed him taking both hands off the wheel to fire. I’m sure he knows that at those speeds his vehicle is basically a deadly weapon, since it was Law Enforcement that explained that fact to me.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Maybe he was holding the steering wheel straight with his knees? Also yea you did guess the revolver training as a reason for left thumb cross over when we were talking about this yesterday.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Maybe he was holding the steering wheel straight with his knees? Also yea you did guess the revolver training as a reason for left thumb cross over when we were talking about this yesterday.

Oh well In that case,

But in all honesty my guess is half a joke, but interesting others have drawn a similar theory.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You ain't lived until you fire off a .308 while sitting in a 1965 Oldsmobile. It's damn loud. Don't ask me how I know......

Because you won't be able to hear the question?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom