• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Will put this in general gun talk, as I got a call from my wife about sunset, rather excited saying "James didn't bring his pistol" What? "James didn't bring his pistol!"

OK, my wife is with our daughter's family renting a cabin in the Tn mountains. No big deal, my son in law forgot his pistol and she wants me to make sure its secure in his house...I have the key and am taking care of their rottweilers. She then says they just arrived, hadn't unloaded the frozen breast milk kept for my newest grandson from the van yet and a bear is in the van going for the breast milk. James doesn't have his pistol to shoot in the air to scare the bear away. They are not leaving the cabin and the police are on their way to chase the bear away. Wife says she'll get a picture of the bear for our insurance company.

I get more texts that the police have arrived, the bear is now gone, and no damage to the van. Tn does allow Fl concealed carry permits.

IMG_2265.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpg
      IMG_2265.jpg
      301 KB · Views: 341

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Always exciting stuff in the wilderness!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    glad it worked out...bear / car interiors encounters do not usually work out well , for the car.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Don't know about the milk. Wife just texted "no damage". I believe they are in the Pigeon Forge area.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I wonder if the last wild fire up there has the wildlife pushed a little closer to town and interested in local trash cans and such more than usual.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You do not have to go Tennessee to have encounters with black bears. There just reports the other day of bears again in Navarre or was it gulf breeze. A few months ago they raiding garages and trash cans in Pace, fl.

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Frequent bear sightings in the Gulf Breeze area. I live in Poly Isles and last year my neighbor had a mama and her cub spend nearly 3 hours in their swimming pool. Very interesting pics from inside the house. Report of sighting in my neighborhood just last week.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Frequent bear sightings in the Gulf Breeze area. I live in Poly Isles and last year my neighbor had a mama and her cub spend nearly 3 hours in their swimming pool. Very interesting pics from inside the house. Report of sighting in my neighborhood just last week.

I'm a few miles east of Poly Isles near the end of Hickory Shores and we've heard of several sightings in the last couple of weeks. Including one the other day that supposedly was a very big bear.

About a year or 2 back my wife was in the driveway when a medium sized bear walked right down the middle of our street! Had a small one on our front deck a few months ago.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    From a photo it sure looked like damage to the door, but son in law says it's only muddy paw prints. Police say lock doors, as bears know how to pull the latches and open car doors. Bear zoomed in the the snacks that were in the van for the kids on the trip.

When bear was in the van, son in law set off the car alarm...it'd did not bother the bear at all. Have seen a video of the bear in the van, but don't know how to get it off Facebook and post here at this time.

PS. Daughter and son in law cleaned the van out last night. It was not a cub bear. It did not appear to have a collar with "Yogi" or "Boo Boo" on it.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From a photo it sure looked like damage to the door, but son in law says it's only muddy paw prints. Police say lock doors, as bears know how to pull the latches and open car doors. Bear zoomed in the the snacks that were in the van for the kids on the trip.

When bear was in the van, son in law set off the car alarm...it'd did not bother the bear at all. Have seen a video of the bear in the van, but don't know how to get it off Facebook and post here at this time.

PS. Daughter and son in law cleaned the van out last night. It was not a cub bear. It did not appear to have a collar with "Yogi" or "Boo Boo" on it.
    Click on the face photo to make it enlarge. Hit right clicker on mouse. Hit save as and save it to a file on your computer. Use image icon here to load on to this thread for your next post.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I go up there every year the hotel in Gatlinburg reminds everybody not to leave food in their cars.

RH

Attachments

• MR4 041.JPG
      MR4 041.JPG
      709.3 KB · Views: 182

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Very young/immature bear in the pic.
    Next year when they go up,they will hear the car alarm sounding as the bear drags the vechicle off through the woods. --- SAWMAN

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Wife and her van got home last night. No known bear damage to the van...unbelievable! They saw bears everyday for 5 days. The police used their police car siren sounds to drive the bear away from the van...a honking car horn and doors opening and closing with the remove control didn't faze the bear. Police said bears can open unlocked cars. If a car is locked and they like the smells coming from within, they've been known to rip doors off and break windows.

Today my wife thought like a guy would and suggested we open a van door and see what our "farm dog" (a lab mix) does with bear scent. He knows our cats and goats, and they are just part of his world and they are left alone. BB jumped into the van and immediately held his nose up sniffing. He wasn't wagging his tail like for food smells, but neither was his hair standing up...he just stood there sniffing his nose and slowly moving his head back and forth.

jettjon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    37663831_2317720038243365_5756579215545729024_o.jpg This is about week ago in my backyard about 2 miles north of Eglin AFB. :)

Attachments

• 37663831_2317720038243365_5756579215545729024_o.jpg
      37663831_2317720038243365_5756579215545729024_o.jpg
      770.9 KB · Views: 122
    Top Bottom