Crazy for thinking of trading Security Six?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    10 plus years ago I bought a Ruger Security Six .357 at a gun show for a pretty good deal. I was told it is un-fired and I have never fired it. It is in a ruger box that may or may not be original. 4" barrel, blued, adjustable sights with the big wood grips. I keep getting the urge to trade it for something that pops up/flavor of the week. Recently that flavor would be either a Glock 17 or 21, M&p 2.0 or possibly something CZ. Am I crazy for getting rid of it? I will add that my gun fund is going to be zero for a few years so any trade would involve no money added on my part

Info IMG_4958.JPG to add. I pulled it out and looked up the serial and it appears to be made in 1982

Attachments

• IMG_4958.JPG
      IMG_4958.JPG
      809.9 KB · Views: 230
    Last edited:

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    10 plus years ago I bought a Ruger Security Six .357 at a gun show for a pretty good deal. I was told it is un-fired and I have never fired it. It is in a ruger box that may or may not be original. 4" barrel, blued, adjustable sights with the big wood grips. I keep getting the urge to trade it for something that pops up/flavor of the week. Recently that flavor would be either a Glock 17 or 21, M&p 2.0 or possibly something CZ. Am I crazy for getting rid of it? I will add that my gun fund is going to be zero for a few years so any trade would involve no money added on my part

Nah, not crazy. They're nice guns for sure (like all Ruger revolvers) and a great value, but IMO they're nothing super special. I've seen them frequently at the shows, and they pop up on here every now and then. I sold mine here on the forum a couple weeks ago. Sell / trade it for something you really want and have fun with it. If you ever want another Six, they are out there.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMHO, the Security Six is a well respected revolver. Getting a good deal when purchased does provide wider latitude when you decide to trade/sell. Price/value will be set by the seller and buyer when the deal is made. Without a clear choice as to which other firearm (and condition) is considered in comparison, no comparison is relevant at this time. Intended use matters as a safe queen you no longer care for is less use then a gun you will shoot and carry. If the swap is for another safe queen its just a preference at that moment. We can be a fickled bunch, falling in love only to see a another shiny object to lust after. Lol. The old gun hasn't changed but our desire for something new may cloud our perception and value. Crazy - no, but that does not mean there will not be regret later. You can always buy another one later on.

Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMHO trading any Ruger for any Glock is a HUGE mistake. Especially a Security Six. The SS is practically indestructible and will only increase in value as the market gets further saturated with plastic guns.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I traded it for a Glock 17 a month or so back. I probably could have made out better by selling it and buying a glock off of here but the trade was quick and easy. Even still I paid less for the Ruger than I have ever seen a Glock 17 sell for so I am happy. Of course I bought it over 10 years ago

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not crazy...great revolver...wouldn't mind owning one myself. Most of my guns are range guns and I do like me some revolver shooting! From a value standpoint, without doing much research, I'm thinking the purchase price of a Glock 17/CZ and a Ruger security six are withing $50 of each other...I think anyways. I know my GP100 revolvers are <$600 and my 686 was bought new for $ 600 maybe 7 or 8 years ago and I think that was a good price when I picked it up. Now the M&P 2.0 is very inexpensive these days...just bought one with a great price and the rebate which came in at around $330.00. That security six would be worth substantially more imo

Bay Ranger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Shouda looked at the date of your post before replying. It came up as unread to me.

Looking to possibly getting a revo, may-be something will show up in the for sale section that I'd ne inerested in.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Murf, obviously your a younger "doode".
    Us older guys have started to liquidate the guns and ammo that are safe queens and are otherwise taking up space in our ammo stash.
    Cool,pretty,schweeeeet . . . ?? . . . if you don't shoot it or carry it turn it into cash or something you will carry or shoot.
    Been there,done that,down to two safes now.
    Sell it and move on. That revo should bring you $325-$375 locally. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I would have given $325 - $375 for that Ruger in a heartbeat.
    Collectors will pay more for a pristine model with the box.
    I’ve always got my eye out for a stainless 4” but never see them.
    But like Sawman says, I’m one of the old guys that needs to be selling, not buying.

Don357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got a stainless 4" Security Six with Pachmayer grip from the factory. Not for sale tho', belongs to the wife. It was her duty pistol when she worked for Loomis Fargo Armored Service.

Top Bottom