• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I was and still am into shotguns and rifles more than pistols, my first I inherited when my grandmother passed in 89 and I was 31 but I grew up shooting that H&R 22lr The next was on a trade CZ52 and I finally bought my PT-92 in 2014. I've added more revolvers than semi-autos since then and enjoy shooting them all but DA/SA revolvers are my favorites. All ways think of Denny when I break out the Redhawk 44 mag. he gave me a great deal on it,

Last edited:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I was in the AF at Eglin and went to a gun show in FWB and bought this Ruger Mark 1 and still have it.

EdDUJ8q.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Almost every "serious" trapper in Maine carries a Ruger MK1. Most of them are really scroungy looking with spruce and fir jammed into the action and mag cavity. Their mags are usually even worse. They carry them in their green plad Johnson Wool pants that are always wet. Or in their wicker pack basket along with their rusty traps or dead critters.
    How do I know . . . ?? ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    JJ has been busy lately so he asked if I would post a pic of the first pistol that he ever owned.
    He bought it new when he was 7 years old. He paid one chicken and a shoe shine for it.
    He carried it thru 8 different wars (including the big one) and finally retired it to the National Old Pistol Museum in Munson,Fla.
    "Your Welcom jj" ---- SAWMAN

Attachments

• 10488616_1.jpg
      10488616_1.jpg
      21.5 KB · Views: 290

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    JJ has been busy lately so he asked if I would post a pic of the first pistol that he ever owned.
    He bought it new when he was 7 years old. He paid one chicken and a shoe shine for it.
    He carried it thru 8 different wars (including the big one) and finally retired it to the National Old Pistol Museum in Munson,Fla.
    "Your Welcom jj" ---- SAWMAN

the companion to this one, his first AR...

bb41aaa08029a438677ff011bfef4e3f.jpg

hatecheese

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The first pistol I bought was a Dan Wesson 357, 6 inch stainless in about 1992. Not sure if it was a monson or a palmer, but dang that gun could shoot. Was a poor college student and sold it so that I could get a ruger p89 because I was worried about getting a gun with a high capacity magazine before the 1994 AWB. Still wish I had that dan wesson...

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’m surprised you were able to find a Model 29 in 1974. I remember a year’s waiting list after Dirty Harry came out.

jpcast

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first handgun was a 1981 Ruger Redhawk 8.5” 44 magnum

BSmitty

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first pistol was a $199 Academy sports special. Taurus PT 111 G1. Nothing but problems with that gun. As soon as I got my CCW, I was off to the local gun store for a new pistol. For some reason though, I cant sell it. Maybe I'm just a gun collector, not a seller :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ruger44.JPG

I was a young man then, big into hunting and not big into money...It was expensive to shoot so I fairly quickly bought a Ruger mkII so I could actually practice. Still have both guns but don't shoot either very much anymore

Attachments

• ruger44.JPG
      ruger44.JPG
      186.3 KB · Views: 257

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    First pistol I purchased myself was a gen 1 Glock 17 from a fellow officer in Lowndes County MS. It key holed and so I took it back for another. On the second one the slide would not return all the way forward. I got my money back and bought a Taurus .38 revolver which I still have. Next was a wonderful 1006 but I have small hands and the trigger would pinch my finger every time lol, what a great beast of a pistol though.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    This was the early eighty's. The big heart throb was for the S&W Model 66, .357 magnum, SS, 4 inch barrel, adjustable sights, large combat cocobolo grips. It is pinned and recessed and pre lock. I paid full retail at $300 out the door which was a boat load for me. I never told the wife I bought it. In my defense she never showed interest in any of my outdoor activities. I had been squirreling away a little money for a year and just did it. I bought it new on the recommendations of friends on the Indiana State Police force. If I was going to run with the big dogs. I Had to have what they had. It was their weapon of choice and issue at the time. This was the early eighty's. Even though it's an inanimate object I grow very fond of my second amendment items so I still have it and feel lucky when I have the time to go out and use it. I always take it deer hunting for that second shot to put the animal down if the first failed to, but never had to use it for that reason. I don't know what the law is or what is considered acceptable but as of right now the plan is that gun will be in my coffin with me. At that point we will both be cold and inanimate.

bbentley40

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first was a BiTone XDm 40 Compact. It was a sweet shooting gun.. but I sold it years ago. Kinda wish I had hung onto it now.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    A lot of great stories here.
    For a big city boy, I grew up shooting since I was little, my Dad was an outdoorsman. After being in the Marines for 10 yrs married with 3 little ones (read : poor) and wanting my own handgun, a neighbor of mine told me a story of him pawning a handgun from a friends gf to get his buddy out of the pokey. Once I realized it was a like new Ruger P-85, he told me his buddy didn’t have to money to get the gun. I ‘volunteered’ to save the day and my neighbor went back and un-hawked it with my $. I shot the shit out of that handgun. Gave it to my Dad to ‘hold it’ while I PCS’ed from NAS Millington TN to NAS Pensacola, and somewhere along the line he sold it to a neighbor for a ‘good deal’, of which I never saw a dime...oh well. My first new handgun was a S&W Sigma 40, the original version also bought in Millington a bit after the Ruger. I still have that handgun and have shot thousands of rounds through her, plan on handing her down to one of the grandkids sometime in the future...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom