• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know the holidays, the new year, loony anti-gun wackos and an early onset of Spring fever has got everyone actually experiencing life outside of the evil electronic box but anybody still up for the Book Club gig?

I think if we do continue this we probably need a "moderator" for lack of a better term. Someone who can formulate the suggestions for discussion, questions and subject matter. Maybe better would be to have that task rotate between members, someone else taking the torch at the beginning of a new read. Clay pretty much assumed that role in the beginning and did an exceptional job but it's a time consuming responsibility, especially for someone that has a full time job and a family.

Just some random thoughts this morning. I for one would like to get this back up.

I did finally get a Nook and have been enjoying it immensely, except for the funds I've already burned buying books on line. OK, I lied. Best entertainment dollars I've spent in years. LOL

I have a suggestion for the next book that I think the members here might enjoy.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm totally interested in continuing, just been absurdly busy as of late! A lot more folks made resolutions to increase marketing their businesses than I anticipated and have been working. Getting close to getting caught up though and definitely want to get back into reading. :becky:

As for moderating, I'm terrible at trying to formulate topics for discussion. :tongue:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know everyone is busy. Did nt mean to imply you are all shirkers. Or did I?

J/K

Just trying to keep thsis going and to say I`m about to download a book that I think this crowd will enjoy. I`ll post details later but I`m trying to learn how to type on this damn tiny keyboard.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just finished the second book in the series... I am still interested and will continue on reading the series.. I too have been super busy lately though.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I took would like to participate, if someone updates me on the current book?

Welcome A-Taz!

We were reading Patriots back in December and I think everyone finished it but the Holidays came along, then first of the year and all the stuff that comes with that so life got busy. Pretty sure we'll gear back up soon when things settle down.

If you want to read Patriots but don't want to buy it you can have my copy and get up to speed. I live in Beulah so we can hook up somewhere close to both of us.

I just downloaded a book that I think will key in with everyone's interest yet has a bit lighter tone:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Disaster-...d=1360459086&sr=8-1&keywords=disaster+diaries

Title is "The Disaster Diaries How I learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Apocalypse". Haven't started it yet but I think it might go over well. If you have something in mind please throw it out here.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bumping this to see if there is any new interest.

Read a lot of new stuff over the summer that gave me ideas for new avenues.

One genre while its on my mind is classic survivalist novels. So far I re-read "Alas, Babylon" and "On the Waterfront". One thing is apparent: The Prepper angles haven't changed.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been trying to read Beyond Collapse but can't find much time. I started out reading the .pdf on the computer but I hate doing a ton of reading on the computer. I bought the book from Amazon but I am only about half-way through it. It's the most practical, common sense, down to earth survival book that I have read. No tin foil, end of the world, let's build a bunker stuff. Just practical ideas on survival after all the services we have come to rely on disappear.

The author makes it available in .pdf form here:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6e3oH1LuRvzeGZlTHRkeHZQSkk/edit

You can read online or download the entire .pdf.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks to the GCGF book club getting me started and giving me the idea to occupy my drive time with "reading".

Since our first book, I have been steadily digesting audio books on my 90 minute daily round trip commute. I'd like to get it up and going again and have some discussion, its just tough to get everyone on the same page :D.

After I got through several of the Military Biography type non fiction books like Lone Survivor, Blackhawk Down, and American Sniper... I've drifted off into some of the zombie fiction stuff, the Zombie Fallout series, Surviving the dead series which are fun but admittedly akin to the junk food aisle in the grocery store.

If someone wants to take charge and get something organized I am definitely game for some more books and discussion.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll take charge of it Ian but I need to figure out what to do. Should I start a new thread?

Zombie Fallout series was kind of cool. I like the easier stuff to read at night in bed. Have you read any of the other Mark Tufo stuff? Don't read "Timothy" while eating.::puke: If you want to read any of the Tufo stuff I can lend it out through Nook Friends.

Top Bottom