• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wife and I recently bought 150 acres for our retirement homestead. Love the layout of the land but we have a real problem with trespassers. We have signs posted everywhere but they act like they can't read. I like to be a nice guy but I'm starting to think the only way to effectively deal with some of these hombres involves gunplay. Got a few videos of the trespassing varmints here:

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep, the videos are not showing up. I deal with tresspassers by making a call or two and having the local law enforcement deal with them.

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They’re fixed. Looks great. Congrats on the retirement acreage! What area did you buy in?

Sporter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Northeast Walton county, 3 miles from Alabama. Soil is pretty good in the lower fields. Lots of springs flowing into a cypress swamp on a dozen acres or so. Plan is to clear about 20 acres and leave the rest for hunting, orchards and maybe some planting.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Congratz on the acreage. I look at owning land like owning guns. Those two are a perfect example of the American dream. Both . . . should be coveted.
    Start early by putting up feeders or in the least putting out feed. Dry corn is best. Almost everything is drawn to it,and it is still pretty cheap. ($5.25 per bushel ,which is 56lbs,at the Co-Op in Walnut Hill).
    Salt licks(blocks) are another way to draw and help the animals. They can be had on sale at Tractor Supply for $5.00 for a 50lb block. Mineral blocks are cheap also.Things like this will help the critters stay on,or at least frequent,your property.
    Keep the coyotes in check also. They do not hurt the turkey population as much as most people think. Coons,fox,and birds of pray will take more young turkey than coyotes ever could.
    Hopefully you will have hogs on your property. If you want them,designate several bait sights to your likeing and install feeders. Most anything will draw hogs. Dry corn is easiest and best,IMO.
    Make shooting lanes,clear food plots(they do not have to be big ,1/4 acre will do) establish baiting areas early. It takes some time for the animals to get comfortable with coming to a certin area over and over again.
    Talk to the state or a University about all this. They are a wealth of info and are eager to help.
    Best of luck with the property. I'm sure it will become a sportsmans paradise with time. ---- SAWMAN

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ooops, I was thinking you were speaking of human tresspassers. Yeah, those tresspassers may definitely need to be taught a lesson or two! Lol! Nice property!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I only saw 2 trespassers

the yote will get fawns and the cat will get the turkey polts

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And . . . if that 12A "cypress swamp" has cypress and juniper half the size of a car hood with some nice sized sweet gun thrown into the mix,I would look at that as a real asset to your property. ESPECIALLY if it stays wet with standing water year round. --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Congrats on the property! I pray I can do that one day so I have a place to hunt with my two boys we can call our own! Yeah, Coyotes and Bobcats need to go!

Fishinspot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like a great property. That’s about in the same area my property is. Your just a little north of me. I have several gravity feeders i use and I get my corn from Florala in bulk. It is a lot of work but more so a lot of fun and satisfaction. Congrats and enjoy it!

m4a1sof

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice, I have a 110 acres in Jackson county, I left it solid woods and built my house in the middle of it. This is my deer stand, I like to rough it :). And entrance to the driveway.

Attachments

• deer stand.jpg
      deer stand.jpg
      245.7 KB · Views: 115
    • driveway.jpg
      driveway.jpg
      426.1 KB · Views: 133
    Top Bottom