• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi guys,
    I have a Colt 6920 that seems to have tiny cant one way which is pinching the gas tube a bit and if you look very close, OCD close, you can see even the handguard is ever so slightly canted to one side.

So I am guessing the main problem lies with the barrel nut? maybe too tight or not tight enough? I have a wrench but could not get it to budge in either direction. I took it in to a gunsmith and was told that it is well within spec and is nothing out of the ordinary.

For what its worth, there is no binding anywhere and it has never jammed on me, and I have put over 1k thru it without issue. It cycles smooth and is accurate. I just have noticed on the majority of military issue M4s that there is actually a tiny bit of wobble on the gas tube on the inside of the upper and the rails always line up true.

Its perfectly functioning as it is but I am a bit OCD when it comes to little things like this so please tell me AR gurus. What should I do? I can my old Colt to have the little gas tube wiggle and I want my handguards perfectly inline with the upper.

Please gents, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I take out the tube and attempt to line up the barrel nut? I am at a loss on this one. Help gents....
    Thanks in advance.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol but the slight cant of the handguards lol. I have CAR15 plastic on there now but I had rails on there and you could really tell. Its just the OCD in me I suppose.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As I read your post I'm a little confused, doesnt the colt 6920 have 2 piece plastic hand guards. If so, wouldn't the problem be the front site pinning or incorrect barrel extension pinning that causes the rotation issue? I always wondered if they drilled the gas hole after the barrel extension pinning or before cause I've seen a few aftermarket barrels that were a few degrees off in relation to the gas block hole. Or maybe it has a perfect gas block hole to barrel extension pinning and the issue is the front site was pinned slightly canted?

If you have an aftermarket barrel nut and a free floating hand guard disregard the above.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    thanks for the info guys, will have to take a look at the front site post and see about it. It is an older 6920 and honestly you cannot tell the handguards are off unless there are rails mounted then you can see where the handguard rail barely is offset from the upper receiver rails. Have over 1k thru it without issue and it is an accurate little carbine just one of those OCD things.

godncountry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am new to the area, and live in Baker. I could have a look at it for you if you like.

How is your gas tube/gas key alignment? Do you shoot iron sights? If so, is your rear sight rediculously far to one side to achieve zero? Is your barrel nut putting pressure on your gas tube? Do you ever fail to achieve bolt lock?

I'm a Certified Armorer, and worked for Sons of Liberty Gunworks out of San Antonio for the last 4 years until we moved here.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi Godncountry, I will have to sync up with ya...thanks a mil for the advice!! To answer your questions

- Gas Tube/Key alignment is good and with no real discernible sound or feel when they meet. however at least to me, the gas tube appears to be canted a bit in the upper. There is zero wobble in the gas tube
    - I shoot irons and have it dialed in great with no crazy adjustments to elevation or windage.
    - It does appear that the barrel nut is putting pressure on the gas tube
    - Never a malfunction of any sort, always locks back. Have a little over 1k thru her so far.
    Thanks again.

godncountry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You're welcome to come by any time. Just send a PM for location. It would be good to get to know someone around here lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom