• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree. Could have, should have, but didnt. Changed my mind at the last minute to go after something else that caught my eye at the time.

Man I hate how bright shiny things can catch the eye :)

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I remember being a kid in the 60s and W.T. Grants would have cardboard 55 gallon drums full of surplus rifles for $12.
    I don’t know what kind they were but I sure wished I had $12 every time I went in there.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Bruce lived in the slums back then.
    NOW . . . he is a "gentleman farmer" with a huge estate and migrant workers.

For me it would be the M1 Carbine or the M3 "Grease Gun". Neither of which do I own but have "some knowledge" of the use of. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may be wrong but I think the one for sale at that price was a US Postal Meter. Yep, the prices of them have gone up tremendously over the years. I think even the Universal ones are commanding some astonishing prices as well these days.

Why did you not tell me about this one? Geez... Paid $900 for my NPM...

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Because it was a couple of years ago and it sold on gunbroker anyway.
    Oh it was online lol... I signed up for the 15 Sep Talledega CMP matches... Have the rifles to shoot in all categories except the 1903 Springfield... Thinking I need one now... You gonna go drag your old butt out and shoot? I hear you can "squad" and multiple people use the same rifle... (after using hand sanitizer on the rifle...)

Swampy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first hunting rifle (other than .22 squirrel rifles) was a German K-98 Mauser, re-barreled to 30:06 - back in 60's. I had it drilled and tapped for a Weaver variable power scope and put a Timmy trigger in it. I also put a fancy sport stock on it and added a leather sling. Took my first deer with it. I traded it for a 6mm Remington, BDL which I still have. Wish I had kept the Mauser too, it was a superb shooter and that action was smooth as silk. Big mistake. I also have a M-1 carbine that I got through the CMP for around 18 bucks IIRC. It was/is in near perfect condition with a very nice stock. Neat shooter too, and no, I won't be trading it...lol.

Last edited:

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first hunting rifle was a German K-98 Mauser, re-barreled to 30:06 - back in 1962. I had it drilled and tapped for a Weaver variable power scope and put a Timmy trigger in it. I also put a fancy sport stock on it and added a leather sling. Took my first deer with it. I traded it for a 6mm Remington, BDL which I still have. Wish I had kept the Mauser too, it was a superb shooter and that action was smooth as silk. Big mistake. I also have a M-1 carbine that I got through the CMP for around 18 bucks IIRC. It was/is in near perfect condition with a very nice stock. Neat shooter too, and no, I won't be trading it...lol.
    I'll give you a crisp $20 bill for it... You got a little profit out of it...

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hunting with a K98 sounds cool. The Brazilians have a K98 clone chambered in 30-06. I don’t think there is much collectors value in them so a little drill and tap should not destroy too much of the historical value. I don’t think I would alter it though

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I still want a Martini-Henry... Probably not PC anymore to play audio clips from the 1964 movie "Zulu" at the range while shooting it....

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Martini Henry....the closest I can get to that rifle is using it on Battlefield 1 when I play video games lol.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Martini Henry....the closest I can get to that rifle is using it on Battlefield 1 when I play video games lol.

I love the sound effects when shooting it on that game... sounds just like a cannon going off... One thing I like about the Battlefield games is the weapon sound effects are spot on unlike COD that they all sound the same...

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah you actually hear the crack as the virtual bullet passes you. Well made game. Probably not all that historically accurate since everyone seems to be toting a semi or full auto rifle, but fun nonetheless

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah you actually hear the crack as the virtual bullet passes you. Well made game. Probably not all that historically accurate since everyone seems to be toting a semi or full auto rifle, but fun nonetheless

New maps just downloaded for me, don't have much time to play over here plus shitty internet mainly get good ping on the European servers but the new naval warfare reminds me a bit of BF1942... BF1 is also the reason why so many of these rifles we want are so damn expensive people playing the game suddenly want to buy all the guns they use in the game...

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah surplus has dried up unfortunately. 06-07 there were plenty still around but I was a lowly SSG at the time with bills to pay. Everyone always talks about the girl that got away. I lay awake at night thinking of the collectors rifles that got away lol.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I still want a Martini-Henry... Probably not PC anymore to play audio clips from the 1964 movie "Zulu" at the range while shooting it....

You reminded me that I have an Australian Martini Cadet in .310. 2 friends also have them. All are as-issued. I reload and cast bullets for the 3 Cadets. A bit more difficult to reload for, as heeled (like a .22 rimfire) cast bullets with outside lube are used and brass is formed from 32-20 cases. Also have a "running man" steel target we've used the Cadets on to simulate Zulu or other 1800's British foreign enemies.

1st rank fire! Rear rank fire! Rear rank fire!

With only 3 of us and another to give commands and for safety, we only have 1 rank to fire on command.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You reminded me that I have an Australian Martini Cadet in .310. 2 friends also have them. All are as-issued. I reload and cast bullets for the 3 Cadets. A bit more difficult to reload for, as heeled (like a .22 rimfire) cast bullets with outside lube are used and brass is formed from 32-20 cases. Also have a "running man" steel target we've used the Cadets on to simulate Zulu or other 1800's British foreign enemies.

1st rank fire! Rear rank fire! Rear rank fire!

With only 3 of us and another to give commands and for safety, we only have 1 rank to fire on command.

I have always wanted a Cadet ,but did not want to reload for it.. I do like the .22 Martinis, they are easier to feed.. Hey if you need more people in your ranks of fire.. Just do like the movie did and just bury a few Lee-Enfields in the the background..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom