• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bruce lived in the slums back then.
    NOW . . . he is a "gentleman farmer" with a huge estate and migrant workers.

For me it would be the M1 Carbine or the M3 "Grease Gun". Neither of which do I own but have "some knowledge" of the use of. ---- SAWMAN

I fired a M1 Carbine a couple of times. Handy little rifle. Never got to shoot a grease gun but that would have been awesome. I guess as semi auto surplus goes I am curious about the SVT40 or if somehow a semi version was found, a FG42 or STG44

For bolt action I have to agree that the K98 is superb, even more fun before my eye injury. Finnish M39 seems to have friendlier sights for me though it is a heavy club of a rifle. Have yet to try out the 1903A3 sight system

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Another Fantastic surplus rifle is the Argentine 1909 mausers in the White.. They are beautiful weapons Made at a time when Argentina was very wealthy and they had Mauser finish their rifles to high standards. They shot the new 7.65 mm ammo (at the time) they have a finish of a custom rifle. And they are a very good shooter..

Attachments

• 10487278_5.jpg
      10487278_5.jpg
      70.8 KB · Views: 145

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I fired a M1 Carbine a couple of times. Handy little rifle. Never got to shoot a grease gun but that would have been awesome. I guess as semi auto surplus goes I am curious about the SVT40 or if somehow a semi version was found, a FG42 or STG44

Well this is for sale

160628072950-german-assault-rifle-780x439.jpg

Working replicas of the Nazis' storm rifle, widely considered to be the world's first assault rifle, are now being produced in the U.S.

"It's been a surprise hit with us," said Mac Steil, co-owner of Hill & Mac Gunworks in Georgia, which has taken orders for 2,000 rifles since the product launch in January. "We sold more rifles the first day than we thought we'd sell all year."

Hill & Mac Gunworks, a startup in the Atlanta suburb of Alpharetta, is reproducing the STG 44 Sturmgewehr, which was developed for German soldiers in World War II. The German word "sturm" means to storm, or assault, and "gewehr" means rifle.

"This German STG 44 is where the name 'assault rifle' originated and it's the first one to be widely used," said Jim Supica, director of the NRA Museum in Fairfax, Virginia, which has an original Sturmgewehr in its collection. "The Sturmgewehr 44 was the predecessor of true modern assault rifles such as the Soviet AK-47 and the American M-16."

The original Sturmgewehrs are valued by gun enthusiasts and history buffs, selling for tens of thousands of dollars. Hill & Mac is selling its reproductions for $1,799.

Steil co-founded Hill & Mac in 2012 as a manufacturer of steel targets. The Sturmgewehr is its first gun. Steil said that he wanted to produce something unusual.

Attachments

• 160628072950-german-assault-rifle-780x439.jpg
      160628072950-german-assault-rifle-780x439.jpg
      22 KB · Views: 179

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This shop imports a lot of mil/LE surplus firearms. CLARIFICATION: Just a potential source, not an endoursement.

https://www.classicfirearms.com

Yeah surplus has dried up unfortunately. 06-07 there were plenty still around but I was a lowly SSG at the time with bills to pay. Everyone always talks about the girl that got away. I lay awake at night thinking of the collectors rifles that got away lol.

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This shop imports a lot of mil/LE surplus firearms.

I really do not wish to talk ill of any shop or business.. But I would research what you were getting from Classicfirearms before you jump.. Many times you can get the guns cheaper on GunBroker.. And then Classic has released a batch of k98s that were billed as proper k98s and yet up close you could see near perfect wood cartouches as well as some possible rebluing and capture x removals. you can look at this link. Form your own opinion.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2084

Also I have heard from several different sources that the guns they received had real crappy bores.. Again not ripping the company but a heads up is needed..

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This shop imports a lot of mil/LE surplus firearms. CLARIFICATION: Just a potential source, not an endoursement.

I have bought a few things from them, just easier to deal with sometimes. They have good process on the Star Model BMs right now, and the Tokarevs some things are cheaper elsewhere but that is why you shop around. They had the last batch of M39s left for commercial sale a couple years ago and I got mine from them as well. Probably going to order one last Tokarev from them when I get back.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I really do not wish to talk ill of any shop or business.. But I would research what you were getting from Classicfirearms before you jump.. Many times you can get the guns cheaper on GunBroker.. And then Classic has released a batch of k98s that were billed as proper k98s and yet up close you could see near perfect wood cartouches as well as some possible rebluing and capture x removals. you can look at this link. Form your own opinion.
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2084
    Also I have heard from several different sources that the guns they received had real crappy bores.. Again not ripping the company but a heads up is needed..

I and probably many other appreciate a heads up. FWIW: I read the linked posts at length but actually found what I needed in the first few. If the Business says the rifles are "original" K98s we know what it is. When they state the rifles have been 'refurbished" we know that altered the origional physical condition, then follows that "internals are "battle worn" (some marketing) and bores are "serviceable". Seller video shows smooth clean stocks and solid dark recievers/barrels. I'm user level and my non expert opinion is these are well worn K98s that have had external lipstick and rouge cosmetic changes (referbishment is always about the depth and correct repair which we dont know), the rifles have not been mechanically refurbished to Mauser Factory Specifications. It is exactly whats advertised: a pig in a party dress. IMHO, some folks want to judge it as "original" without the clearly stated modifier "refurbished and declared battle worn (hard and adverse use) parts". There is some discussion about "possible prior stamps/marking" taken off and others (stock) added. Well, Countries their factories do that and unless the BATFE has a problem with the markings done during refurbishment its moot. Some people infer that the high price contributes to the "deception"so it may be perceived as a higher quaility/condition firearm: not if you can read and take the time to do so. BUYER BEWARE: of course but we should use that same caution with a purchases.

Someone else may view the same information 100% differently and several comments there were adamant its a scam on the basis of the shiny object they want to see but don't find, instead of what's being marketed is a defined half assed refurb. and that's what ever the end product and its condition are. I didn't see any recognized grading standard referenced in any pro or con comment nor by the Businesses and that would have cut the debate to two or three posts. Lol

I don't know the Company, just their ads and never purchased from them.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have purchased from classic firearms. While they are not my one stop shop for all things guns, they do at times have very good deals. Just gotta read between the lines. The "hand select" option will usually just be a waste of money as many times their batches of surplus pistols or rifles are all withing the same grade mostly. The really messed up ones usually get sold separately for a discount

I did see their k98 mauser sale the day it happened and though I am no expert I have read enough and have enough reference books to know what to look for and could immediately tell they were not original duffle cut GI bring backs. Some responsibility does have to fall on the collector to know what they are looking at. Though i do feel the item should be represented as honestly as possible from the company. There is no excuse for omitting or misrepresenting an item to make a buck. In todays market most any k98 whether Russian capture or GI bringback is going to sell regardless, and for a good price too. Non matching RC captures will sell quickly for a good 5-600ish, Bolt mis matching rifles will sell for 8-9ish maybe depending and all matching (not forced matched) will fetch 1k and up all day. I may be wrong on my estimations just throwing numbers I have recently seen sold for. Lots of variables of course depending on factory, marks, deaths head rifles, etc.

But yeah just gotta self educate on some things cause the company will always market it as the best, rarest deal ever. They have a good price on Bulgarian Makarovs, but you will likely have to spend more for some original star grips and screw since they will ship with "import" grips, or the tokarevs that have safeties that originals do not have at all, but import requires them.

Just my thoughts, but overall I have had good dealings with them due to expectation management.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I had the bad experience with my 6.5 Carcano carbine
    The best mil-surp was my numbers matching M1 Garand
    Took a few bucks and one doe with it before I screwed up by letting it go when I was hard up for cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Took a few bucks and one doe with it before I screwed up by letting it go when I was hard up for cash.

I hear you on that. I believe many of us have let go of a few arms when in need of money to make ends meet for the family. Myself included.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

What was the bad part of the carbine if you do not mind???

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hear you on that. I believe many of us have let go of a few arms when in need of money to make ends meet for the family. Myself included.

So true but no regrets, priorities. I also pawned the same gun so many times the shopkeeper kept raising the amount he would "loan" on it to get a bigger interest return. Lol. Never forfeited one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom