• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Best Surplus Rifle in the World is the Enfauser..

Remanufactured in Turkey, the Turks took the very slick Enfield action and married it to the wonderful 8mm Mauser round and barrel and gave the world one of the Greatest rifles of all time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VQjo3MhgVw
    Relative the slick handling of the enfield to mausre configuration, is this your first hand person impression? Some turkish ammo is loaded up to higher pressures than is the US GI 30-06 loads. I guess it depends on the quality of steel that was used. These were guns IIRC that the turks captured during WWI and probably during some of things that happened in the Balkans and Armenia afterwards.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Relative the slick handling of the enfield to mausre configuration, is this your first hand person impression? Some turkish ammo is loaded up to higher pressures than is the US GI 30-06 loads. I guess it depends on the quality of steel that was used. These were guns IIRC that the turks captured during WWI and probably during some of things that happened in the Balkans and Armenia afterwards.

I would not swear that all Turk guns are 100% good steel.. But you do not see alot of issues with the quality of Turkish Surplus arms.. Per Turk 8mm, yeah its a bit hotter.. But you do not have to use it, you can dial things back to PPU or if you are a cheap skate and want to shoot surplus ammo.. Romanian 8mm is perhaps some of the best surplus... and heck Romanian is now being sold commercial with all the modern non corrosive qualities..

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not swear that all Turk guns are 100% good steel.. But you do not see alot of issues with the quality of Turkish Surplus arms.. Per Turk 8mm, yeah its a bit hotter.. But you do not have to use it, you can dial things back to PPU or if you are a cheap skate and want to shoot surplus ammo.. Romanian 8mm is perhaps some of the best surplus... and heck Romanian is now being sold commercial with all the modern non corrosive qualities..
    Thanks, The major question was how slick was the Turkish modified enfield when you handled it. the question of strength and steel was relative to an enfield firing a much hotter 8 x57 that is loaded way hotter than the .303 is loaded. Later enfields were chambered for the 7.62 nato and there was some question about the ishapore arsenal Enfield being up to that conversion to 7.62 nato.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been discussing steel quality of the enfield rifle and high pressure cartridges. The ishapore arsenal Enfield were purpose built to handle the 7.62 Nato loads with last ones coming off the production line in the late 1960's. The guns the Turks converted to 8x57 were not intended to handle those kind of pressures, but they apparently did it well enough. Most military actions will handle more pressure than they were rated for. What often happens if you fire just a few rounds there is no problem. It is when it is used for 1,000 rounds that the issue of action stretching and loose headspace becomes an issue.
    Video on the Ishaspore enfield and I would really like to own one lol.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    To me, the best U.S. surplus rifles are as follows:

M1903
    M1903A3
    M1 Garand
    M1 Carbine

3iaj5QY.jpg

Of the foreign rifles, here is my list:

K98K
    Swiss K31
    M39
    Enfields

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    When my house burnt I lost all milsurp rifles except my M1903A1 NM and M1922MII which were in the safe. They were in the safe as they were too scarce and precious to me to not be in the safe except when being shot. Although I suppose a real 1929 National Match Rifle might not be considered a milsurp.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    When my house burnt I lost all milsurp rifles except my M1903A1 NM and M1922MII which were in the safe. They were in the safe as they were too scarce and precious to me to not be in the safe except when being shot. Although I suppose a real 1929 National Match Rifle might not be considered a milsurp.

very much a bummer, that wasn't recent, was it?

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Oh wow! That really sucks! I keep all of my long and short firearms, if they are not being fired at the time, regardless if valuable or not, in my safe if I can fit them in it. Even got a $50 22 rifle in it. The reason I bought/invested in a fire proof safe.

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a concrete vault that is detached from the house. It is connected via a wall to the house. The wall of the house are Concrete blocks filled with rebar and poured concrete. For the vault there is steel in each block vertically and every other course horizontally and welded them together and then poured it. If we ever got an F4-5 tornado i would go inside it for shelter. for the house with a steel roof and also steel-concrete in every cell a hurricane is not much of a threat to the house. It will render hell in my orchards for sure knocking down my trees.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Of all of the surplus guns the most useful is the M1 carbine. All of the WWII vets I grew up with all said they would have loved to have an M1 carbine.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a concrete vault that is detached from the house. It is connected via a wall to the house. The wall of the house are Concrete blocks filled with rebar and poured concrete. For the vault there is steel in each block vertically and every other course horizontally and welded them together and then poured it. If we ever got an F4-5 tornado i would go inside it for shelter. for the house with a steel roof and also steel-concrete in every cell a hurricane is not much of a threat to the house. It will render hell in my orchards for sure knocking down my trees.

sounds like you are good to go on your vault! Sounds like a splendid idea to me!

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Of all of the surplus guns the most useful is the M1 carbine. All of the WWII vets I grew up with all said they would have loved to have an M1 carbine.

it is a fun little carbine..

A year or so ago I had a chance to pick one up for about $450 and passed on it. Still kicking my rear end for doing so til this day!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A year or so ago I had a chance to pick one up for about $450 and passed on it. Still kicking my rear end for doing so til this day!

my last carbine was $150 and i though that was a lot for an inland. Pricing has change for sure and i still think $450 is a lot. I paid $20 for my winchester from the old former DCM. But everything today is more expensive. For child or a small statue person a carbine is the best gun one can issue.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may be wrong but I think the one for sale at that price was a US Postal Meter. Yep, the prices of them have gone up tremendously over the years. I think even the Universal ones are commanding some astonishing prices as well these days.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been discussing steel quality of the enfield rifle and high pressure cartridges. The ishapore arsenal Enfield were purpose built to handle the 7.62 Nato loads with last ones coming off the production line in the late 1960's. The guns the Turks converted to 8x57 were not intended to handle those kind of pressures, but they apparently did it well enough. Most military actions will handle more pressure than they were rated for. What often happens if you fire just a few rounds there is no problem. It is when it is used for 1,000 rounds that the issue of action stretching and loose headspace becomes an issue.
    Video on the Ishaspore enfield and I would really like to own one lol.

I think I see where some of the Confusion might be from.. In the Forgotten Weapons Video he referenced the Enfield being made in India by Ishapore.. But that is a rifle made in the early 1910s, those shot 303 rounds. Those guns made in India at the time were made under British control and were made up to British standards. Even the ones made after India took over were made to high standards.. And yes 8mm mauser is hotter then 303 its is still in the range. And you are right to want a Ishapore 7.62 Enfield.. They where made in the 1960s and truly a fantastic bolt action firearm..

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I have never been upset with myself buying something... I seem to always get upset with myself with the things I did not buy..

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have never been upset with myself buying something... I seem to always get upset with myself with the things I did not buy..

I agree. Could have, should have, but didnt. Changed my mind at the last minute to go after something else that caught my eye at the time.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont know anything about them but, when it comes to the Arisakas rifles, which is the best or most desired of them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom