• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys, I'm looking to get an outdoor camera system for my house. Nothing complicated but something with a hard drive and maybe something that can feed to my phone. Any suggestions for whats working for you guys would be appreciated.

Also, I’d prefer not to have a monthly subscription type system either. Just something you plug in and it runs off WiFi

Last edited:

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Look at the Arlo Pro 2. Comes with free 7 days cloud storage - Sam's sold a 2 camera package with base station for $350. Add more cameras as you need them. Capture on motion and or sound. Easy to install and set up, rechargeable batteries for power, accessible remotely from iPhone, android or PC with userid/password.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/landing/arlo-pro-2/

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Let me begin by saying I haven't install this system yet. I am looking for cables to make it more or less plug-n-play and to use at my office. I went with NorthernVideo for the little better cameras. My goal was to absolutely recognize anyone that came in. Nothing will be installed over 6' high. Redundancy would be your friend if your cameras were low to make things more recognizable in an outside install where someone could reach them. You would still have an image of someone disabling a camera. $6-650 would be a price range. I think it will do most everything you are looking for.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah I’ve been looking at the plug and play ones on Amazon. 4-6 cameras and 1080P video for $4-600. Just have to read the reviews and check their websites I guess. Hardly any of them list cable length which I feel like should be an important detail for them to add.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I glanced at some 25' and haven't had a chance to look farther. In my case I could centralize the DVR and just have the monitor in view. I think all of these cameras have an SD port and still record for a time after disconnect too as well as good IR capabilities. If someone got the DVR I may still have some stored on the cards. I am a novice at video but I think I am on the right track. If it goes well there I will install one at the house as well.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for making me look more. Found 50' M-M BNC and power along with F-F BNCs to connect

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    premade cables are on their way. They discontinued the made up 50' so I ended up getting more 25s' and the female connectors. I want to see just how plug and play and the image quality I get from doing it this way. If the image quality from the connected cable is an issue I will order jacketed power and video in a single cable like these and put the ends on the correct length cables without the unions. Should arrive mid week. I will get it hooked up and report back.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm using Blink XT cameras from Amazon. Free cloud storage, feeds to your phone and 100% wireless. The cameras run roughly 90 days on a pair of AA lithium batteries and the system monitors battery life and lets you know when it's time to change. The furthest cam from the hub is about 40 yards.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm using Blink XT cameras from Amazon. Free cloud storage, feeds to your phone and 100% wireless. The cameras run roughly 90 days on a pair of AA lithium batteries and the system monitors battery life and lets you know when it's time to change. The furthest cam from the hub is about 40 yards.

How good is the night video? Are facial features easy to recognize? Would you be able to easily identify someone from the night pics/vid? I have some areas that don't get any light at night from my security lights and would like something that takes identifiable video.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How good is the night video? Are facial features easy to recognize? Would you be able to easily identify someone from the night pics/vid? I have some areas that don't get any light at night from my security lights and would like something that takes identifiable video.

Sorry, just saw this. Yea, the video is great and the night vision mode works great.

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    I bought the 4 camera system from Harbor Freight and it works great I have it set on a three-day Loop and image quality is good and price was excellent hell I've even got some Hundred-Foot cables left over from the install I'm looking to get rid of so if you need them let me know

Members online

Top Bottom