• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Senojeelnodnarb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I believe this will be a simple request, I have my grandfather's Vietnam era Hunter Corps shoulder holster. One of the buttons has broke and needs to be replaced, I did some leatherwork in the Boy Scouts over a decade ago but don't trust myself with this. It more sentimental value than anything and I don't want to mess it up.
    Thanks in advance.
    b79add96bef51e30d62b1183035fa64a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have used shoe repair shops to fix snaps on boots, luggage, backpacks and holsters. They have the tools to make it happen.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    There used to be a leather shop on Michigan Ave I believe. Ole Time Leather or something like that. Not sure if it’s still there.

Senojeelnodnarb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have used shoe repair shops to fix snaps on boots, luggage, backpacks and holsters. They have the tools to make it happen.
    Hmmm never thought of those I'll have to give it a try. Thanks

Senojeelnodnarb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    There used to be a leather shop on Michigan Ave I believe. Ole Time Leather or something like that. Not sure if it’s still there.
    Are we talking Pensacola?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand you don't want to do the work but it is really a simple and easy repair. I've changed dozens of snaps (both male and female sides. You can buy a kit that includes snaps, a double sided punch (for spreading the center post (locks together two parts of each snap half) and a double sided (flat and concave) plastic base/anvil (or 4 place metal anvil) that support the snap while you punch the center. Snaps are removed by slowly drilling off (not through, remove metal not leather) the mushroomed center post. Some factory snaps are directional and have a dimple on the outside that marks the primary edge to lift. These would need to aligned for the direction of pull. Your holster rig is probably too old to have origional directional snaps.

Any store that sells fabric (like Hobby Lobby) will have the snap kits. You need a Kit with "center posts" that are taller the0an the thickness of the leather. After installation you can paint them black but don't paint contact surfaces. Here's a few vids on installation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4S84EQHykI
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBNL6lluLM

Senojeelnodnarb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'm a machinist on hurlburt, usually when I drill into rivets its all the way through haha. I'll keep this in mind as an option. Thanks for the insight
    I understand you don't want to do the work but it is really a simple and easy repair. I've changed dozens of snaps (both male and female sides. You can buy a kit that includes snaps, a double sided punch (for spreading the center post (locks together two parts of each snap half) and a double sided (flat and concave) plastic base/anvil (or 4 place metal anvil) that support the snap while you punch the center. Snaps are removed by slowly drilling off (not through, remove metal not leather) the mushroomed center post. Some factory snaps are directional and have a dimple on the outside that marks the primary edge to lift. These would need to aligned for the direction of pull. Your holster rig is probably too old to have origional directional snaps.

Any store that sells fabric (like Hobby Lobby) will have the snap kits. You need a Kit with "center posts" that are taller the0an the thickness of the leather. After installation you can paint them black but don't paint contact surfaces. Here's a few vids on installation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4S84EQHykI
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mwBNL6lluLM

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I went by the other day looking for them...think they have moved, or redesigned so drastically I did not recognize it....it was between W st & 29, on the south side

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me look in my stuff and I'll see if I have any brass snaps. If I do I work on Hurlburt also and can meet next week and pick it up from you. It's a 5 minute fix if I have the correct snap.

Senojeelnodnarb

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Let me look in my stuff and I'll see if I have any brass snaps. If I do I work on Hurlburt also and can meet next week and pick it up from you. It's a 5 minute fix if I have the correct snap.
    Alright, well that's convenient. Let me know and I'll bring it to work.

Chaos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Leather shop a TW flea Market indoors sat/sun. Lady makes Holsters and sheaths..

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If it’s an older snap, may be hard to match up....all you have to do is change both the male and female. I have upholsterers where I work on Hurlburt at the C-130 CMT program, we use to do all of the AFSOC refurbishment of C-130’s, so if no one can do it let me know, I live in Milton.

Top Bottom