• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Brand new out of the box, I had a box of tula 150 Gr 308 here. went to the range, short stroke every time. it ejects the spent case just fine with plenty of gusto... but fails to load the following round into the chamber. I will admit, the gun was dry the first trip to the range. I have since cleaned and lubed her all up... lol

I got a box of Brass Winchester 308 (150 Gr) from wal mart to try. think this will work itself out after a little break in? I did call S&W, they gave me a slip to return the gun to them, however the turn around time is about 4-6 weeks.

wadda ya'll think?

The gun is super accurate @ 100 yds, but the feeding issue, I'm concerned about....

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Wetter is better with the AR platform. If that doesn't work, try a different mag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    MagPul mag + super wet gun(w/Break Free CLP)(since new) + full power,good quality,brass cased ammo(since new) ='s no jam . . . almost guaranteed. ---- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tula can be under powered and not cycle some guns. Had that happen with me and Tula before!

I stick with brass cased US made ammo in my .308 AR platform rifle! Only problems I have ever had is when using import ammo in my .308 AR.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    MagPul mag + super wet gun(w/Break Free CLP)(since new) + full power,good quality,brass cased ammo(since new) ='s no jam . . . almost guaranteed. ---- SAWMAN
    I hate doing this y'all... I have to agree with Sawman. *♂️

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I hate doing this y'all... I have to agree with Sawman. *♂️

You're going to break the forum...
    Aaaannndd I will concur with Sawman, quality parts and lube equals quality performance.
    That goes for other aspects of life as well...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Gonna try it again tomorrow, run some brass through it then try some cheapo tula…. (fingers crossed) Its oiled and ready to go I hope,....

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The only 308 I have that will reliably cycle steel cased ammunition is my RFB.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And . . . may I please also add - - -> RUN WET means really wet.
    IMO - - -> You do not need oil or grease although you can surely use it. In my time in the military we used copious amounts of Break Free CLP. Sprayed on thick or in some cases we actually submirged the BCG in it then let it drip dry if we had time,or blew it off with high pressure air. We used it in full auto belt fed weapons also.
    There are plenty of choices,just as long as it is a lubricant and not just a cleaner. ---- SAWMAN

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    On my last new build I cleaned and oiled it up then cycled it by hand about 100 times. Wiped it down again the re-oiled it. It was surprising the amount of black stuff that wiped of after just hand cycling

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Tula can be under powered and not cycle some guns. Had that happen with me and Tula before!

I stick with brass cased US made ammo in my .308 AR platform rifle! Only problems I have ever had is when using import ammo in my .308 AR.

This exactly. I would never recommend using Tula ammo. It is under-powered and inconsistent. Use only good quality brass-cased .308 ammo. The short-stroking is most likely attributed to the Tula ammo.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This exactly. I would never recommend using Tula ammo. It is under-powered and inconsistent. Use only good quality brass-cased .308 ammo. The short-stroking is most likely attributed to the Tula ammo.

I have some here.... my ar15's eat the steel 223 like theres no tomorrow. Hope to make it tomorrow, I hav e40 rounds of brass here 20- 150 gr and 20 168 gr....

RumbleWepnz

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had the same problem a little while back with a clients S&W AR 10. Tried everything, cleaning, running very wet, different ammo, etc.
    Noticed the bolt charging required quit a bit of force. We measured the buffer spring and found out the length of the spring and number of coils were consistent with other AR 10 springs but the wire diameter was almost .020" thicker.

We replaced the factory buffer spring with a standard AR 10 buffer spring and the problem resolved itself.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Had the same problem a little while back with a clients S&W AR 10. Tried everything, cleaning, running very wet, different ammo, etc.
    Noticed the bolt charging required quit a bit of force. We measured the buffer spring and found out the length of the spring and number of coils were consistent with other AR 10 springs but the wire diameter was almost .020" thicker.

We replaced the factory buffer spring with a standard AR 10 buffer spring and the problem resolved itself.

Thanks, if today it doesn't work, this will be the next step, can you link to the correct spring? Thanks.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No joy, shot 10 rounds of brass and 4 rounds of steel Tula. same results. The bolt does not stay back on an empty mag. Not on any of the ammo, 150 gr brass, 150 gr tula, or 168 gr brass. I did come close to getting a cycle, but the 150 gr brass got caught and failed to make it to the chamber.

If the gun were "over gassed" the bolt would stay back on the last round, right? If the buffer spring is to strong, its not allowing the bolt to travel far enough to pick up the next round, or hold the bolt back, is my thinking correct?

Here are pics of the "round that almost made it. This was on the second try with 2 rounds in the mag. every other time, it was a single shot rifle.

Attachments

• 0628181025.jpg
      0628181025.jpg
      305.1 KB · Views: 159
    • 0628181025a.jpg
      0628181025a.jpg
      282.3 KB · Views: 161

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you drop a rd into the chamber and close the action . . . THEN . . . insert an EMPTY mag,will the action lock back after fireing ??
    AND . . . what mag(s) were you using today ??? ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom