• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No, I just allowed the round to come from the mag, its a Pmag. My neighbor has a scale, we just weighed the buffer, its 2.985 OZ. Just for kicks we weighed the buffer from the M&P 223. It weighed the exact same (2.985), however the spring was shorter in the 223. so this leads me to thinking I either need a heavier buffer (5.4 OZ) or a lighter shorter spring. My 308 spring is 13 inches, and I see the standard 308 spring is 12 3/4...
    I can't imagine, S&W put the incorrect buffer in this?

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think you may be overthinking an undergassed issue. Is the gas block properly aligned?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Did you try the .223 spring?
    Can you lock the bolt back?
    Are there scratches on the case like there may be some extra finish in the chamber?

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If lubed and good ammo does not work on a new gun I'd be sending it back

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    No, I just allowed the round to come from the mag, its a Pmag. My neighbor has a scale, we just weighed the buffer, its 2.985 OZ. Just for kicks we weighed the buffer from the M&P 223. It weighed the exact same (2.985), however the spring was shorter in the 223. so this leads me to thinking I either need a heavier buffer (5.4 OZ) or a lighter shorter spring. My 308 spring is 13 inches, and I see the standard 308 spring is 12 3/4...
    I can't imagine, S&W put the incorrect buffer in this?

I think you may be overthinking an undergassed issue. Is the gas block properly aligned?

Yes, no obstructions anywhere

Did you try the .223 spring?
    Can you lock the bolt back?
    Are there scratches on the case like there may be some extra finish in the chamber?

NO, I sis not try the 223 spring. its smaller than what's in the 308, didn't want to bottom it out and damage anything. yes, the bolt locks back manually with an empty mag. yes, and no strange marks on the spent cases.

if the springs don't correct the issue, she's going back to s&w...

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I agree, it needs to go back to SW before you start swapping parts.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    at this point 50 bucks for a buffer and spring is worth trying. 4-6 week turn around when you send it in, if I'm lucky....

SGB

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Have you checked the gas key too insure it's staked properly and not loose?
    Do the fired cases have a dull "frosty" look to them?
    Does the extractor ever slip off the rim of the case during extraction?

RumbleWepnz

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Realtor,

Use the Brownell's Modified 308AR buffer spring, part # 100-007-354. It should solve your problem. Leave the buffer alone, it is correct and will work with the new spring.

Good luck.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

My thought also undergassed for some reason. Or there is s serious mechanical issue. Use NATO spec 150 grain loads that the gun was likely designed around. If the gun is undergassed or mechanically wrong send it back to get fixed. Does not sound like you want lighten the spring or fool with the buffer since it is already less than 3 oz.
    The most important thing prior to sending it is back is too make sure you use the precise ammo type recommended in your owners manual.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you checked the gas key too insure it's staked properly and not loose?
    Do the fired cases have a dull "frosty" look to them?
    Does the extractor ever slip off the rim of the case during extraction?

the cases come out looking just like they did when they went in. less the internals...

Realtor,

Use the Brownell's Modified 308AR buffer spring, part # 100-007-354. It should solve your problem. Leave the buffer alone, it is correct and will work with the new spring.

Good luck.

I already ordered the PA stuff, if that doesn't do it, It's getting sent back to S&W. I'm pretty disappointed in S&W right now. The other gins I have from them has been great, they work the same every time....

My thought also undergassed for some reason. Or there is s serious mechanical issue. Use NATO spec 150 grain loads that the gun was likely designed around. If the gun is undergassed or mechanically wrong send it back to get fixed. Does not sound like you want lighten the spring or fool with the buffer since it is already less than 3 oz.
    The most important thing prior to sending it is back is too make sure you use the precise ammo type recommended in your owners manual.
    yes, there is a problem, it wont completely cycle brass. so I've used 150 gr 168 gr 308 win. that's what it states to use. Its close to being sent back......

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the cases come out looking just like they did when they went in. less the internals...

I already ordered the PA stuff, if that doesn't do it, It's getting sent back to S&W. I'm pretty disappointed in S&W right now. The other gins I have from them has been great, they work the same every time....

yes, there is a problem, it wont completely cycle brass. so I've used 150 gr 168 gr 308 win. that's what it states to use. Its close to being sent back......
    I understand the disappointment. So often brand new guns are not right. Means the manufacturer did not bother to at least function fire the gun. For what you paid for it I am sure that should have been included. I would want to see a target and the empty fired cases. Never is done.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    new spring, new heavy buffer did nothing, this thing is headed back to Smith and Wesson for them to figure it out.... Thanks for the suggestions and all, but this just IS NOT right. It's going back....

strange, same as before, could not even tell I did anything....

Again, Thanks for the efforts of the forum, It's time for this to take a trip...

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    has to be..... they'll figure it out at this point.....
    Unfortunately, the way the industry is, S&W has had to adapt, and get in to the market of building budget rifles. They make phenomenal wheel guns, but how many of us have a 30yr old revolver that still works fine? I do. Kind of hard to stay in business without selling new guns... enter the budget ar-10/ar-15...

Send it back. The wait will suck but they will make it right.

Realtor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Too bad you didn't pick up that DPMS for sale here. ---- SAWMAN

I did...… :smile: it shot just fine this morning. I was hitting clay pigeons (not in the air lol ) at 125 yards... I mixed in Brass and steel case ammo in the same mag, and the gun didn't even burp... lol I don't think it knew...

The S&W is still going back.... I'm sure they will fix it, but I just wanted it to be right out of the box....

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Congratz on that new gun. My DPMS Panther Arms runs with all my reloads. From light loaded 110's to heavy loaded 220's. So far . . . no adjustable gas block needed.
    My guns favorite are the Sierra 155gr Palma's. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom