• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any one else interested in doing this? On my bucket list. For many years I have been wanting to do this. Have a good bit of repelling but not skydiving or parachuting experience.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can have my spot.

I will gladly take your spot! Had a chance to do it in Hawaii in 2006 but decided to take a glider ride with my wife instead. Going to try and set up a date and time this year at an airport about 40 miles from where I reside.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will gladly take your spot! Had a chance to do it in Hawaii in 2006 but decided to take a glider ride with my wife instead. Going to try and set up a date and time this year at an airport about 40 miles from where I reside.

I have a friend that tried to get me to do this a few years ago, an invitation I declined. He went ahead and tandem jumped. He had one of those little cameras on his helmet to record the event. They got out of the plane in good shape, but the only thing you could hear all the way to the ground was my friend screaming at the top of his lungs. That did not persuade me to reconsider.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would like to tandem jump the first time and then freefall jump the next time or times. Would not even mind experiencing the "flying body wing/suits" either! Yeah, I am a glutton for punishment! LOL

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Been their . . . done that.
    It is a younger mans game. Fairly costly in the civilian world also.
    A good jump school will guarantee their chutes. If it fails for any reason,you can take it back and they will switch it for another . . . FOR FREE !! ---- SAWMAN

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been their . . . done that.
    It is a younger mans game. Fairly costly in the civilian world also.
    A good jump school will guarantee their chutes. If it fails for any reason,you can take it back and they will switch it for another . . . FOR FREE !! ---- SAWMAN

I hear you but, at some point and time we will all "auger in". When it is our time, it is our time and we have no choice of the date, time, or method! I have long accepted that fact! Those who refuse to accept that, well, its on them!

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you're interested, DO IT.

I didn't get into full time but I got about 135 jumps before kids/job kept me from keeping my currency. Nearest drop zone is over 2 hrs away so it became a time issue. If you do it a lot, there usually seems to be a pretty tight knit group at the DZ. I was jumping in Elberta before they shut it down several years back. I miss it. Tons of fun.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did it as a short lived hobby in 76. I think it was a "Gumby" manual, a couple hours ground school and jumps the next day using mil surplus 28 ft chutes. No tandem, did two static line, three hop & pops then true free fall. First few were exciting then it lost the thrill/rush and wasn't worth more time and money. I recommend it for anyone who is a thrill seeker. It might just be a check in the Box or become a full blown passion.

I keep looking into powered paragliding. The beach runway is a few blocks away and watching them from the backyard isn't reducing the temptation.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did it as a short lived hobby in 76. I think it was a "Gumby" manual, a couple hours ground school and jumps the next day using mil surplus 28 ft chutes. No tandem, did two static line, three hop & pops then true free fall. First few were exciting then it lost the thrill/rush and wasn't worth more time and money. I recommend it for anyone who is a thrill seeker. It might just be a check in the Box or become a full blown passion.

I keep looking into powered paragliding. The beach runway is a few blocks away and watching them from the backyard isn't reducing the temptation.

I dont think I would get into it full blown. Just would like to experience it a few times since I have always wanted to try it. A few years back there were a few of the paragliders at the local small community airport. Have not seen them in awhile though.

Kanaloa

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did HALO in the military and then as a hobby in the civilian world. Stopped when I had kids- it can get fairly expensive. I would suggest you start with a tandem jump to see how you like it and get a feel for free fall. It takes quite a bit of training to get your license to jump solo. Used to be a min of 18 jumps if I remember correctly. My uncle always had the itch and finally took the plunge when he was 65. He did it tandem and has the video to prove it. He really enjoyed it and was very happy he went for it, but wished he had done it sooner. Statistically it's safer than driving to work, so they say.

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I got started in high school. 30 minute jump school, learned the PLF off a picnic table, then did 2 static line jumps first day. $5.00 per jump.
    Then 2 no static line hop and pops. Then more altitude using altimeter. Jumped a military modified cargo parabola, then graduated to para commander, then wings with attitude and altitude. Then HALO, and HAHO. Didn't care for LALO.
    Technology/equipment has changed considerably since I was jumping.

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You should jump out of the plane while appendix carrying a Glock 43 in a G-code Tactical IWB holster and wearing a Trump MAGA shirt, be sure to take pictures.:lol:

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Any one else interested in doing this? On my bucket list. For many years I have been wanting to do this. Have a good bit of repelling but not skydiving or parachuting experience.

I skydived alot back in the day. I was addicted to it for a while. Went to the 1996 World Free Fall Convention... That was a blast jumped out of the 727 and everything else they had there. We stayed in tents next in the airport.

I learned to skydive at Elberta, AL did the AFF program. Not sure how they are doing it nowadays.

I remember getting off work in pcola and riding to the airport leave are cars there and then jump to the beach we would land right there in front of The Dock.

I have well over 400 - 500 jumps logged. Including a couple of HALO's we did at the free fall convention. Had to have O2 on the way up. Don't need it when you are falling at 120+ MPH. LOL

Do it. I have thought about getting back into it!!!

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a parachute I’ll sell ya. It’s in good shape, never been opened. Only used once.....small stain.

Ha ha ha.

Here are a few pics from back in the day...

19aCoOh.jpg

0AGdD7G.jpg

WwokcAV.jpg

kb6a8CB.jpg

bDIhriV.jpg

pgsePiA.jpg

Top Bottom