DK Firearms

Legal Age to Purchase a Rifle in Florida/Alabama is Still 18 Right?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ok, I know asshole companies like Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart are demanding that someone be 21 to buy a rifle from them but now I've seen private sellers requiring persons to be 21 too. So is the legal age still 18 or did I miss a change in the law?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FLORIDA’S NEW GUN LAW CHANGES THE AGE TO PURCHASE ALL FIREARMS TO 21

Posted on March 14, 2018 by U.S. & Texas LawShield Staff

SB 7026 became law in Florida on March 9, 2018 when Governor Scott signed the bill. Since then we have received numerous questions regarding the effects of the new laws. Section 12 of the bill amends Florida Statute §790.065 to ban the sale of any firearm to a person under 21 years of age. The text of the new law creates a conflict with §790.17 and leaves unclear whether or not a person between 18 – 21 may purchase a firearm in a private sale.

Florida Statute §790.065 Sale and Delivery of firearms relates to the steps that a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer must take prior to selling or delivering a firearm to a purchaser. Nothing in this section has previously dealt with the private sale of firearms. However, under the recently adopted amendment to the law, §790.065(13) now begins with the sentence, “A person younger than 21 years of age may not purchase a firearm.” The rest of this amended section deals with the same group of licensed importers, manufacturers, and dealers as before and no penalties are listed that apply to a private sale to a person under 21 years of age. However, the first sentence as noted above does not include language stating that it applies only to those purchases made from a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer and seems to be a blanket prohibition against any sale to a person under 21 years of age. This section does not make it illegal for a person under 21 to possess a firearm, but they cannot purchase one.

On the other hand, Florida Statute §790.17(2)(a) was not amended by SB 7026. It still reads, “a person may not knowingly or willfully sell or transfer a firearm to a minor under 18 years of age, except that a person may transfer ownership of a firearm to a minor with permission of the parent or guardian.” Because this section was not amended and §790.065 deals with licensed manufacturers, importers, or dealers, it is unlikely the new law was intended to be a blanket prohibition against all sales of firearms to those under 21 and was likely intended to apply to only licensed manufacturers, dealers, and importers. Until there is clarification, we strongly caution that the actual wording of the 790.065(13), “A person younger than 21 years of age may not purchase a firearm” be heeded. We are reaching out to the office of the Attorney General for guidance and will update this blog should guidance be provided.

—David Katz, U.S. LawShield Independent Program Attorney for Florida

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nothing in the law that says you can't drive to Alabama or Georgia to purchase at 18. Long guns can be purchased directly and transferred via an FFL in the neighboring state with no shipping required. We are going to end up the way it used to be with liquor laws and people driving over state lines to where the drinking age was lower.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nothing in the law that says you can't drive to Alabama or Georgia to purchase at 18. Long guns can be purchased directly and transferred via an FFL in the neighboring state with no shipping required. We are going to end up the way it used to be with liquor laws and people driving over state lines to where the drinking age was lower.

I live in Alabama and already drive across the state line to buy liquor. Al taxes the fire out of liquor, I can save about $15-18 per bottle of Jack Daniels by driving to Florida. Even found a store in Pensacola that offers a 10% discount if I purchase 6 bottles, last trip I bought 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just wait....that new rich dipshit libertard trying to be Governor (can't remember his name,trying to buy his position) was already on the news last night talking about getting rid of AR's because they shot 50 rounds (????) and if someone wants a gun like that they need to go into the military. The dreamword Democrats live in is full of freaks!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have bought my last 5 guns off the internet and one purchase from a forum member.
    I go into the LGS's to look at their stock and be able (if possible) to see and feel what I want. Same as gunshows.
    I believe that these new laws will make forums such as this one even more valuable to the younger people just starting their collection. But hurry. The day that ALL gun sales/transfers have to go thru a FFL is approaching quickly. ---- SAWMAN

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah Scott will NEVER get my vote for anything, POS. If they want to do this crap then change the law to state you're not an adult until your 21.

If people are not responsible enough to own a rifle under 21,then they are not qualified to vote;which the Democrats count on. Ill informed, immature idiots who will blindly believe the liberal lie.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If people are not responsible enough to own a rifle under 21,then they are not qualified to vote;which the Democrats count on. Ill informed, immature idiots who will blindly believe the liberal lie.

Add driving into that also, because if someone isn’t responsible enough to own a gun, I certainly don’t want them cruising down the interstate in a 4,000 pound vehicle at 70+mph all the while playing on their phone while I’m driving next to them.

Glock31c

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Add driving into that also, because if someone isn’t responsible enough to own a gun, I certainly don’t want them cruising down the interstate in a 4,000 pound vehicle at 70+mph all the while playing on their phone while I’m driving next to them.

Hey I see that 5 days a week on I 65 when I'm driving a big rig. Summer time I see family traveling and everybody in the SUV have a phone or tablet and laptop in their hand.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I'll tell ya with 30+ years experience that the military would be better off if they coudn't come in until 21......

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Waaaaaay back when the <21 year olds had much more upbringing than the softie snowflakes of today.
    TODAY . . . I would be in favor of the 21 year old rule to join the military.
    Back in my day we had young men that were kicked out because they could not get through the training due to their IQ. None broke down and started crying or so much as told the instructors to f*ck off.
    The ones that left were the farm boys that traded school for helping to work the family farm. Or the big city ghetto kids that had severely underfunded and under taught school systems.
    Myself . . . I almost flunked out of highschool. Not until I joined the military did I learn how to study,or seemed to have the incentive to study. ---- SAWMAN

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After dealing with those mealy-mouthed little twerps like David Hogg, I can't blame Rick Scott for signing the bill.
    A week of those little hooligans screaming would have convinced me that not only should they not own guns,
    that they shouldn't vote, drive, serve in the military or have sex either!!

Florida's Congress basically listened to them for a week, and said, "YEP! Those little weasels should NOT own firearms!"
    Scott signed it...and it became law.

All kidding aside, they really should boost the age limit for all that to 21 & up only.
    Include MJ use while they're at it. That'll teach the little monsters ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom