• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunsite

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I want to find a light weight .38 revolver for my wife to carry,let me know what you have. Thanks

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Has your wife shot a lightweight .38? If not rent or borrow one and let her try it out. There are a lot of used lightweight .38's out there that people bought and discovered they can be very unpleasnt to shoot. OTOH if you find a steel k frame S&W or Ruger Six series they are heavier but MUCH easier to shoot well. They can be found w/ shorter barrels as well. I have an LCP and they are very easy to carry but not fun to shoot! My wife shot it once and said never again! She likes shooting my 9mm Shield which is almost as easy to carry (being very thin) as a lightweight .38 with equal or better power and increased capacity. Good luck!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sent you a PM yesterday.

Most ladies do not like 38 snubs because their husbands expect them to shoot the +P loads out of the guns. Try a full wadcutter at 700-800fps.
    My wife finds this combo perfect for her CCW. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live in Cantonment. I have two lightweight revolvers your wife can shoot to see if she likes. Neither is for sale though.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Don’t underestimate grip to hand fit either, and material. One of the beautiful things about revolvers is there’s 101 flavors of grips to find what fits you best.

K frame snubs are great but every bit the size and weight of a compact 9mm(xd compact, gen 1 mp9c). An all steel model 36/60 is still as light as a shield and with wadcutters like sawman suggests should be real easy to shoot, especially if she can fit wrap around grips.

Or, if she’s already shot one, and Noone will part with theirs, gulf coast jewelry and pawn on 90 used to sell 642/442 without a lock for about 380$ otd.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Remember also . . . a DAO revo has approx. the same pull through and weight as a DA/SA that is fired DA.
    My wife carries a DA/SA revo that she has been taught to fire SA very fast. (Right handed,use left thumb to cock action) ---- SAWMAN

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have couple of small 38 Rev. will sale A s-w and I think a Taurus You can come and try them before you buy from about 300 -- to 350 can try them with diff. loads. With hammer and with out. jj 850-572-6611

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May I please ask - - -> What ammo were those 5 shots ??
    My wife is not a big woman and she can shoot my snubby(642) about 30 shots using a 148gr full wadcutter at 750fps.
    Would suggest that you have her practice "staging" the trigger also. I find the 642's are quite easy to "stage" depending on how you place your finger on the trigger. "Choking up" helps. ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May I please ask - - -> What ammo were those 5 shots ??
    My wife is not a big woman and she can shoot my snubby(642) about 30 shots using a 148gr full wadcutter at 750fps.
    Would suggest that you have her practice "staging" the trigger also. I find the 642's are quite easy to "stage" depending on how you place your finger on the trigger. "Choking up" helps. ---- SAWMAN

Winchester White Box.

For perspective she can go through a 50 round box of the Winchester White Box 9mm in her S&W 39-2 with no problems at all.

Mouser

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a ruger LCR .38 snub revolver... 5 shot. I shoot wadcutters that I load to practice and I can say it makes my hand hurt after 20 rounds or so hopefully she can shoot it. I also have a GP 100 3"bbl 38 that is sweet to shoot...but heavy. I might part with the LCR as I don't carry it much anymore so if that is in the realm of interest, let me know...haven't worked up a price as I wasn't intending to sell it. Have a speed loader or two for it too though it is not a clean fit for that model...sort of works, but not like it should.

rockb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Winchester White Box.

For perspective she can go through a 50 round box of the Winchester White Box 9mm in her S&W 39-2 with no problems at all.

Went back and looked. 158 grain Federal Round nose.

I did have a box of 125 Grain Winchester White box +P but we never got to those.

I did borrow a G42 and she liked the feel of it but it threw the brass right in her face so she did not want it. Her uncle has one of the 642s and she liked the weight of it and was more comfortable with a revolver so that is what we got.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The good news is 130 grain fmj should be a little lighter on recoil, if I remember correctly it’s about the same velocities but a lighter round.
    The better news is with some snap caps or dummy rounds, she can get the majority of practice she needs without any recoil. Yes, you’ll still want some live rounds to be familiar with point of impact, recoil etc.

However, the answer may be staring us in the face: I’ve found smith 39’s to be accurate and reliable, and standard pressure 125 hollow point 9mm’s Out of a 39 isn’t a big deal on your hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom