• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So I have fairly recently added a 24” 5.56 ar15 and a 18” .308 ar10 to the stable. I have a burris xtr ii 1-4x on the 24” 5.56. I have had the optic almost since they first came out and it has been great no complaints except Im pretty sure I would like a touch higher magnification. It was lacking a little at the 6-700 yard line for my eye. I also would like to put a similar optic on the 18” .308. I have been researching the past couple days and cant wrap my mind around all the current choices. I seem to like the trijicon accupower 1-8 and the burris xtr 1-8 the best right now. But Im also not opposed to going with a 1-6x. I like the specs of the trijicon vcog but the price is a little higher than I would like. I have seen them at the $1700 range but I was hoping to stay around $1400 or less per optic. I also have not seen many reviews other than promos on the vcog. Im also torn between a moa reticle or a bdc. Any experience with either of these? What do you guys use and why? Im not a gamer im just looking for short to medium range optic. I have red dots on carbines for up close stuff and bolt guns for real long range. All help and opinions are appreciated.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I had the trijicon 1-8x on a 556 rifle which was built to be a lightweight 16" carbine. Overall the optic was great, clear glass edge to edge, solid turrets with positive adjustments, and almost daylight bright dot. It was FFP(first focal plane) with a mil reticle. My two main reasons for selling came down to the busy reticle and the weight. It made the balance of the rifle move off center or top heavy and I found myself compensating for it while shooting. Now for an AR10 where weight is not a big factor, absolutely, it would work great IMO.
    I ended up with a Steiner Px4i 1-4x and given your budget I'd be looking hard for a Kahles 1-6x or splurge on the new hotness...Nightforce 1-8x.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Do you find yourself missing the 8x or is 6x or 4x enough for say a solid 600 yard shot
    600 yds is doable with a 4x but it's not ideal, the 8x makes it easier, or more clear rather. But... If I was focusing on shots past 350-400 yds I wouldn't be looking for a lpvo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    After more thought ive decided to put a higher power scope on the 24” 5.56 as this rifle would primarily be used in a fixed position. Still want a lpvo on the 18” .308 I think as it is light enough to be used on the move. Do you prefer a bdc or moa type reticle? Do you find that a bdc may be “close enough” to your ammo?

Top Bottom