• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a bit of a problem getting one to group . New it shot about 3 to 4 inch groups . But after 300 or so rounds it has settled down to inch and three quarter groups. I'm thinking that that's pretty good for a pistol caliber carbine. Anybody else have any experence with pistol caliber carbines?

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have one of the 77/44 carbines and love it. I have only got about 150 rounds through it so far but not having much of a problem with accuracy. It has loved the 225gr leverevolution rounds the best so far. I also have a 96/44 and the accuracy on that one is not quite as good. Probably 2.5” groups at 100 yards but I try to keep my shots at animals within 75 yards and has not let me down. What it lacks in pinpoint accuracy, it more than makes up for in knock down. I have actually been looking for one in .357 though as I have more pistols chambered in that round.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have one of the 77/44 carbines and love it. I have only got about 150 rounds through it so far but not having much of a problem with accuracy. It has loved the 225gr leverevolution rounds the best so far. I also have a 96/44 and the accuracy on that one is not quite as good. Probably 2.5” groups at 100 yards but I try to keep my shots at animals within 75 yards and has not let me down. What it lacks in pinpoint accuracy, it more than makes up for in knock down. I have actually been looking for one in .357 though as I have more pistols chambered in that round.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The bolt guns chambered for "pistol" cartridges seem to be pretty accurate. The 38/357 being the most accurate shooting a mild'ish Special.
    At one point I owned a 454Casull lever gun that was super accurate shooting 45LC loads. The single shots are also known for their accuracy. I have several friends that have either a long bbl'ed T/C or a NEF Handi Rifle that is super accurate using the proper hand load.
    My NEF 500S&W Mag with it's chopped bbl (18") will cut one ragged hole at 50yds shooting a "mild" (yeah,right) 440gr hardcast load. With the "pistol" chamberings you can do a lot using a single shot as far as COAL and pressures.
    I feel that the single most accuracy degrading factor of shooting "pistol" chamberings out of rifles is cleaning. Most people shoot soft lead over and over without cleaning. ESPECIALLY when they switch from lead (hard or soft) to jacketed. If you do this . . . you will quickly degrade the accuracy. ALSO . . . at the top end loads,you could start seeing overpressure problems (think Glock).
    Next is trigger. Don't settle for the norm of 7lbs+. I would suggest 4lbs for a hunter OR target/range gun. My 500S&W Mag rifle has a <4lb trigger.
    Next is scope/sight. Don't go cheap here. I use Leupold on most everything. They make an excellent 1-4X24 or a 2-7X33 that is parallax free at 75yds. I use both and they are of the heavy duplex variety also. They are both about $200. Even cheaper on sale at Cabela's.
    As far as red/green dot sights go. Don't use a bigger dot than 3MOA and green is better.
    Accuracy . . . I consider a 3MOA gun a keeper in any chambering. That will most likely be achieved with the right ammo/load,at the right pressure. Ya gotta tinker. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom