• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have acquired different types of "ivory" over the years when I was traveling the world in the USN.
    I picked up elephant ivory in Hong Kong and Thailand. Whale and walrus tusks in Spain,Portugal, and The Azores.
    I bought all this "as real" however I am now thinking of putting it up for sale,so I want to make sure that it is the real deal + get a "in the ballpark" appraisal.
    Does anyone know of a place or someone that I could contact to find out these things before I advertise it "as real" ??
    My only thoughts would be an antique dealer like Garth or possibly a gold,silver,and coin dealer. ---- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I took the liberty of posting your question on the Colt forum - lots of ivory crazy guys over there. If it gets any good information, I'll post the link so you can read the responses.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is what I found on the possession of ivory: https://www.fws.gov/international/travel-and-trade/ivory-ban-questions-and-answers.html

"On July 6, 2016, a near-total ban on commercial trade in African elephant ivory went into effect in the United States. The information on this webpage is intended to provide guidance for those who wish to buy, sell, or otherwise trade in elephant ivory. It’s important to note that the new regulations do not restrict personal possession of ivory. If you already own ivory – an heirloom carving that’s been passed down in your family, or a vintage musical instrument with ivory components, those pieces are yours. We know those items created long ago aren’t threatening today’s wild elephants."

There is more info on that site than what I posted above. Hope it helps.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks to you guys above. Good info.
    ( Joel,are we gettin' along now ?? Hope so. Will see you at the next gun show. Lets don't talk politics. )
    I only have one rather large piece of carved elephant ivory. Any gov't agency should be able to tell the approximate age from the coloration. It gets yellow with age.
    The rest is whale and walrus that is carved. Some rather large,some in pendent form.
    Any further info will be much appreciated. Thanks gentlemen. ---- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    No responses on the Colt forum yet. I think the fellows over there may be a little topic shy re: ivory. Quite a few threads got shut down over there when the laws were changing, but I do recall many different opinions regarding the exact application of the laws. Some grip makers were suspending the use of ivory, (unless they already had the material in inventory), until they could make sense of the laws. Sorry I can't be of any help.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Thanks for this Joel. Great info.
    The elephant ivory that I have are 1-2 foot pieces of the tusks. The pointed ends. They are carved their full length in the shape of a oriental girl,in costume. Unknown if the pieces are African or Asian elephant. I have had the elephant ivory for almost 50 years. I have NO documentation to prove this.
    I would rather not post a picture of this ivory at this time. ---- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Contact Duke McCaa at Gulf Breeze Firearms. His shop is out towards Midway.
    Some of you may remember him as the owner of The Pistol Parlor back in the 80s and 90s.
    I was in there a couple of weeks ago and noticed he had several pieces of ivory. We talked some about them.
    He’s knowledgeable and knows the laws.
    He doesn’t really encourage walk-in business. He mostly does estates and internet sales. He’s got connections all over the world.
    Lots of high-end rifles and shotguns in his shop as well as Randall knives.
    It’s probably best to call and make an appointment as his hours can be erratic.

gameaholic

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My dad has a 45 Colt SAA. If you find out a value, and it is legal for me to buy, I might be interested in trying to get him some ivory grips made. Provided I could find somewhere to carve them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom