• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have, of late, found myself increasingly unsettled with the tone of the forum. It has become apparent that the level of vitriol currently present in American politics is such that civil discourse is no longer possible without degenerating into denigration and name-calling. It has almost come to the point where starting a political thread is the equivalent of shouting "FIRE!" in a theater. It has even fallen to the level where people are joking about how long it will take to get a thread shutdown. A couple of sites I visit expressly prohibit political discussion for this very reason and the resulting tone and demeanor is far more pleasant.

I am, therefore, calling upon the management to ban all political discussions from this forum immediately.

Censorship? Call it what you will but I am tired of this shit.

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That would be the smart thing to do. At least make a political sub forum or whatever its called and let these idiots go in there and verbally beat each other to death. I cant see this forum lasting much longer if this shit keeps up. Its already been sucking balls for a few months now.

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Either ban it or have a sub-section for it like has been mentioned. I do not want to read this shit. The same people state their opinions over and over again (on BOTH sides) and no one will ever change the others mind. It is a sad representation of out political system when the only way "To WIN" is if you beat the other guy to death. Used to be that the parties would COMPROMISE on an issue for the good of the country. Neither side WON but neither side really LOST either and the country became better for it. Now I truly fear for the country I will be leaving my grandchildren.

Idoono

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    About that...
    I've been on this forum for some time now, and although I enjoy some heated discussions and joking back and forth, I will agree that politics has become an over discussed topic. In the past members have not let feelings get in the way of logical conversations.
    I wouldn't say that the general tone of the forum has changed. I believe there are a few members who are only here to discuss politics and bait others into chasing "well beaten and killed horses".
    Here's the thing about a political subsection, who is going to regulate it? I would give it a few hours before I start getting emails and PMs about certain language or innuendoes or racist comments or personal attacks or etc, etc. I don't want or need that responsibility.
    This. Is. A. Gun. Forum.
    Most of the political discussions have nothing to do with firearms. Absolutely nothing...
    We, the admin and mods, have discussed both options for awhile now and it will be addressed. Whether thru a subsection or no politics that's not my sole call.
    But as a reminder, this forum is "Respectful dialogue of firearms enthusiasts".
    Thanks JW

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have, of late, found myself increasingly unsettled with the tone of the forum. It has become apparent that the level of vitriol currently present in American politics is such that civil discourse is no longer possible without degenerating into denigration and name-calling. It has almost come to the point where starting a political thread is the equivalent of shouting "FIRE!" in a theater. It has even fallen to the level where people are joking about how long it will take to get a thread shutdown. A couple of sites I visit expressly prohibit political discussion for this very reason and the resulting tone and demeanor is far more pleasant.

I am, therefore, calling upon the management to ban all political discussions from this forum immediately.

Censorship? Call it what you will but I am tired of this shit.

Same here... I have found myself on this website alot less because of it. Lets talk about guns... I don't care about anything else. LOL

Idoono

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you make a separate section just make sure the heading states that it is a free for all and not moderated. Problem with that is some potential physical threats may be made. The best option is to tell them to start their own political board and keep this one gun related ONLY. JHMO

Idoono

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with making it a separate section that’s a unmoderated free for all, plus I still have political memes to use. For the record I’ve been on this forum since November 2012 and have never reported a post or emailed a moderator, it’s an anonymous internet forum if you’re skin is not thick enough to handle some back and forth banter the you probably have sand in your vagina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I find it ironic that folks on a GUN forum are proposing a BAN on something simply because a few people can't be responsible with it.

How about we continue to enforce the rules as they are?

We should be able to regulate ourselves.
    There is already an "Ignore" function. There is already a report button.
    If the post is inappropriate, give the warning, give the short/long/permanent vacation, etc.
    If the moderators would like us to police ourselves or report something to them in a more useful way, to alleviate some of the burden on them, I see no problem.

This is NOT a free-for-all venue, even a new sub-forum, because it reflects on the gun community as a whole. If the posts won't comply with already Generous guidelines for decorum, then delete the post and hold the user responsible.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a demonstrable fact that these problems existed before Trump. All one has to do is look at the third sticky in this very section:

https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/forumdisplay.php?5-Off-Topic

And they would see that the forum was shut down for several days in May of 2015 for this exact problem.

If posters would hold themselves, as responsible adults, to the standards Ian asked everyone to respect in that thread, there would not be any problems. But instead we have persistent name calling and labeling of others in an effort to demean them, posting of memes deliberately designed to inflame, and so on. The fact that it eventually gets out if hand is predictable.

We could all do TexKev a favor, who's running this place as a partial way to earn income for the care of his wife, and police ourselves. We're adults. It's time every one of us acted like it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Money is being made by the owner of this forum. The flow of money into his pocket is DIRECTLY controlled by the number of members,number of posts,number of threads,number of times the advertisers adds are clicked on,etc.
    If the number of posts include these shitty political posts,it is money in the owners pocket. It is NOT in his best interest to close down threads/posts. This is why the members that are stiring the shitpot do not get banned or time out'ed. A thread is closed down,then the people that got it closed down are allowed to start up another,almost exact same,thread. These people should be warned (BY PM) then banned if their behavior does not change.
    ^^^^^ The above is my opinion.
    This forum has gone waaaaaay downhill. I do not come here as often as I used to. I have gone elsewhere to post some <-> most "For Sale" items. I do not reccomend this forum to others as much as I used to either. I have been here a long time now. Long enough to be able to see a CLEAR difference.
    Other forums that I am on have some great mods and owners. Nothing political is allowed. Works great.
    IMO the owner and mods need to take a look around and follow the lead of other successful forums.
    GUNS,AMMO,RELOADING,HUNTING,GUNSMITHING,BUY and SELL . . . what else ?? ---- SAWMAN :confused:

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This thread will just help legitimize the three or four douchebag, communist, paintywaist liberals, and make them want to stir the pot even more. Don't feed the trolls, just ignore them.

latch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Without a doubt one of the strangest threads I think I’ve seen in here in a while. A group of “the 2nd Amendment defends the 1st” types debating between censoring political discussion or creating a “safe space” to either contain it or protect themselves from it. How bizarre.
    My thoughts:
    1. I like the debate. I like the banter and I like the back and forth. And I like making fun of liberal-loving idiotic hypocrites. Although I will admit I like it a WHOLE lot more since I put about 3 members on my ignore list. I added another one just a little while back and my blood pressure is still in normal limits and the road rage is still manageable.
    2. Keep the politics out of the gun discussion? Huh? Someone needs to explain to me how that is healthy or realistic.
    3. This seems to me to be a situation of one guy (or 4) shits his pants and now we all have to wear diapers. I agree with Snake Eyes. We have rules and we are all supposed to be adults and be able to police ourselves. Along with that we should all have the thickness of skin to ignore or bypass anyone that we don’t seem to get along with. We’ve all kind of agreed that we are not changing anyone’s minds on these threads, so they’re just for fun. If they’re not fun, don’t open them.
    4. Now, the moderators aren’t getting paid and I am sure that some parties are making their lives harder than they need to be. If so, ban these retards that are creating the strife. Like I said, I enjoy the banter so maybe I am one of the guilty parties in this. If so, ban me. I’m not an NFL player. I don’t expect to be catered to. I have agreed to join this forum and agreed to follow the will of the moderators.

Anyways, however this turns out, this is still one of the sites I go to more than any other. Because the vast majority of the folks here are the ones I’ll share MREs with when the zombies or the liberals come down my road.
    tacticalsht-1529080804494.jpg

Attachments

• tacticalsht-1529080804494.jpg
      tacticalsht-1529080804494.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 244

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Instead of banning politics ban those liberal members that currently abuse to privilege, I did not see any of their names in green as supporters of the forum. I have availed myself of the ignore feature and refuse to do business with the 4-5 trouble makers, pretty simple to me to adjudicate these folks.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a GUN FORUM, not a 1A or political forum. The problem is the derailing of Threads then general or specific insults. Even when you ignore certain members, others engage them and off it goes. Its very apparent from Post History that a few shit slingers don't Post firearm related Threads or Comments: Are they really contributing to this Gun Forum or detracting from it? No place or "Safe Place" for political debate. If people want to exercise their 1A Rights on those issues go to a Political Forum and have at it, THIS IS A GUN FORUM! Mods have better things to do than babysit political shit slingers.

The closest this Forum should ever get to politics is when addressing existing or proposed Laws (pro/con and not the politicians involved in it).

BAN ALL POLITICAL issues, satire, pics, vids and comment. Next violation: 30 day Ban, another violation: permanent Ban.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom