• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TactiNormal

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a CZ75 barrel that has a super short chamber. It won't feed most reloads unless they're loaded super short. Looking for someone with a chamber reamer to open up the barrel rifling a bit so I can use my normal reloads.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've got a CZ75 barrel that has a super short chamber. It won't feed most reloads unless they're loaded super short. Looking for someone with a chamber reamer to open up the barrel rifling a bit so I can use my normal reloads.
    No criticism and more a question about factory loads. Does that cz chamber accept all factory loads and if not which factory loads will not chamber. This could be useful information.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What work do you "really" need done. Do you need the CHAMBER lengthened,or the throat lengthened ??
    Chances are it is not a CHAMBER problem. If you alter the chamber you will have a headspace problem with SAAMI brass.
    Anyway,as stated,jj is your man. Best contact for him is a phone call. Look thru his past posts. He has put it up quite a few times. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What work do you "really" need done. Do you need the CHAMBER lengthened,or the throat lengthened ??
    Chances are it is not a CHAMBER problem. If you alter the chamber you will have a headspace problem with SAAMI brass.
    Anyway,as stated,jj is your man. Best contact for him is a phone call. Look thru his past posts. He has put it up quite a few times. ---- SAWMAN
    More than likely it is not the length of the chamber that fits the shell casing and actually the leade where the rifling starts. Per SAMMI
    LEADE (LEAD)
    That section of the bore of a rifled gun barrel located immediately ahead of the chamber in which the rifling is conically removed to provide clearance for the seated bullet. Also called Throat or Ball Seat
    The 9mm luger parabellum round does have a taper and it might still sort of work if the case part of the chamber were extended, but it is not a good idea. It should head space on the mouth of case, but it is possible the base might work and also the seated mullet might stop it. It depends on far the firing pin extends. Once I accidentally fired some .380 reloads in an Astra 600 which is 9mm; they worked even if the rear of the case was badly bulged. It was likely the extractor that holding the case enough for the firing pin to make a good impact.
    Note case taper on 9mm case.
    800px-9x19mm_Parabellum.svg.png

Attachments

• 800px-9x19mm_Parabellum.svg.png
      800px-9x19mm_Parabellum.svg.png
      11.1 KB · Views: 190
    Last edited:

TactiNormal

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most CZ forums refer to it as "short chamber" but the specific issue is the leade as Frommer is saying. On this particular barrel the rifling starts immediately after the chamber and results in my normal 135gr reload not feeding unless it is loaded shorter than 1.09". This bullet is normally loaded to 1.135" in all my other pistols.

I do not like loading so short, as there is less margin for safety as well as poorer feeding through my other guns.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most CZ forums refer to it as "short chamber" but the specific issue is the leade as Frommer is saying. On this particular barrel the rifling starts immediately after the chamber and results in my normal 135gr reload not feeding unless it is loaded shorter than 1.09". This bullet is normally loaded to 1.135" in all my other pistols.

I do not like loading so short, as there is less margin for safety as well as poorer feeding through my other guns.
    On a target gun a short lead had merit. On a combat gun it does not since it could lead to malfunctions in a dirty barrel.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Do have a 9mm reamer have had to do some chamber,s on some barrels have found some of the newer barrels, such as a gock regular barrels you can't cut they are hard. Just my 5 cents. jj

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do have a 9mm reamer have had to do some chamber,s on some barrels have found some of the newer barrels, such as a gock regular barrels you can't cut they are hard. Just my 5 cents. jj
    Barrels with specific surface 'coatings or treatments' may be to hard to ream with conventional reamers.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jj, would you mind trying on my barrel?
    My gunsmith normally tests the surface of suspect steel before trying a reamer. stainless steel and many coated steels will not react to certain blueing solutions for example. Not a good idea to use a reamer when the steel is too hard. Bad for the reamer and maybe not so good for the chamber area of the barrel. You may still be able to remove some metal for clearance, but not the right way to do it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    JJ could do it . . . and I know how he could do it . . . but I'm not gonna try to tell him.
    Last time - -> he threw something at me. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Out of bed already ???
    I was too damn slow.
    If you need "help" with this I will come over and show you how to do it.
    I could be wrong,but I do not believe that the inside of a bbl is face hardened.
    I have polished and deburred quite a few chambers on pistol bbls(including Glocks) and the forceing cone on revo's. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom