Target Sports

Croc Eats Terrier That Taunted Him for 10 Years!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walking near the waters edge of ponds, lakes and rivers in most of Florida is just not a good idea. Once a Gator grabs you and pulls you in the water you're done as they are much better swimmers than you are. Pulling humans into the water for a big gator I doubt is that tough. I mean their cousin, the Crocodile in Africa, sits at the waters edge and pulls water buffalo into the water for a meal!
    The point is that alligators seldom pull people into the water, but they are certainly capable of doing so. If they start doing so is the concern. This eaten woman was not in the water as we understand the story. I am reading claims that humans can out run a gator on land. I wonder. I read a claim that for the initial few feet as the gator goes from the water to land it is moving at the sprinting speed of a human. I think a young fit person that was aware could run away. 50 yr woman in condition brown might not be able to react fast enough to escape.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ambush predator... I don't care what shape you're in, if you're 5-7ft from the water, and not paying attention, you are phooked. The gator is coming from the water and using it's tail to force itself up on land. These animals have evolved over 1000s of years to do what they do, and they are the best at it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Again, just look up a video of a Croc grabbing a Water Buffalo and pulling them in the water. The Water Buffalos know they are there and still get nabbed by the surprise lightning fast lunge!

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think the threat level of a 18’ Nile crocodile to a Buffalo is a bit different than that the average American aligator poses to most humans. Further, from the documentaries I’ve seen those crocs fail far more often than the succeed.

Anyone else find it interesting that one of the dogs had bite wounds and it was the woman’s arm that was found in the gators stomach?
    Think that may paint a type of picture, maybe evidence of what may have happened?

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ambush predator... I don't care what shape you're in, if you're 5-7ft from the water, and not paying attention, you are phooked. The gator is coming from the water and using it's tail to force itself up on land. These animals have evolved over 1000s of years to do what they do, and they are the best at it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

And yet, as you pointed out earlier, deadly attacks on humans are rare.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are a couple that hang out on a sand bar in the river behind our house , one appears to be 12/13 feet long. If you will come over and catch him I'll tape his mouth shut and you can take him home with you. I'll even buy your gas to make the trip less expensive for you. No need to thank me as it will be you that's doing me a favor. Cheers :peep::grenade::peace:

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think the threat level of a 18’ Nile crocodile to a Buffalo is a bit different than that the average American aligator poses to most humans. Further, from the documentaries I’ve seen those crocs fail far more often than the succeed.

Anyone else find it interesting that one of the dogs had bite wounds and it was the woman’s arm that was found in the gators stomach?
    Think that may paint a type of picture, maybe evidence of what may have happened?

I'd compare an 18' Croc pulling a 1000 lb Water Buffalo in to a 10-12' Gator pulling a 150 - 200 pound human in easily! I'm sure Gators that get to that size aren't afraid of anyone or any other animal.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    No doubt. In fact I dare say pound for pound, the buffalo is likely faster, stronger and more resilient than a human. But we have a couple advantages over buffalos and reptiles. Namely intelligence, which allows us to be aware of the threats and avoid them, and if for whatever we can’t we can employ any number of tools to equalize the playing fields.

You’ll never be as at risk as a water buffalo, since I can tell your not only aware of large alligators existence and danger, but also your own mortality.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I'd compare an 18' Croc pulling a 1000 lb Water Buffalo in to a 10-12' Gator pulling a 150 - 200 pound human in easily! I'm sure Gators that get to that size aren't afraid of anyone or any other animal.

I am allergic to anything over fence post lizard size....
    10461895_8ea875da3d_z.jpg

crocs get much bigger and more weight than gators, but below is a whopper

Alabama Alligator (The Stokes Alligator) – 15 feet and 9 inches (4.8 meters)Five members of the Stokes family captured and killed a giant alligator at the Alabama river on August 16, 2014, which measured 15 feet and 9 inches long and weighed 1,011.5 pounds (~458.8 kg). Most sources pick this one as the largest alligator ever recorded. It can be viewed in the Mann Wildlife Learning Museum, Montgomery. Mandy Stokes, who shot dead the animal, has said the the alligator was 24 – 28 years old, which was determined from an analysis of its leg bone.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am allergic to anything over fence post lizard size....
    10461895_8ea875da3d_z.jpg

crocs get much bigger and more weight than gators, but below is a whopper

Alabama Alligator (The Stokes Alligator) – 15 feet and 9 inches (4.8 meters)Five members of the Stokes family captured and killed a giant alligator at the Alabama river on August 16, 2014, which measured 15 feet and 9 inches long and weighed 1,011.5 pounds (~458.8 kg). Most sources pick this one as the largest alligator ever recorded. It can be viewed in the Mann Wildlife Learning Museum, Montgomery. Mandy Stokes, who shot dead the animal, has said the the alligator was 24 – 28 years old, which was determined from an analysis of its leg bone.
    For large crocs the big maneaters are the nile crocodile of africa and the salt water croc of the indian ocean. In recent historical years it has been difficult for alligators to make it to maximal size, but in recent years with protection they are living long enough. So far about 16 ft seems to be the current max for an alligator. Any that is plenty big relative to eating people. I think there is a caiman in south america that also gets huge.
    Black caiman is the largest caiman species
    It is also significantly larger than other caiman species. Most adult black caimans are 2.8 to 4.26 metres (9.2–14 ft) in length, with a few old males growing larger than 5 m (16 ft) and exceeding a weight of 400 kg (880 lb).

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW: We actually have crocodiles in addition to the run of the mill alligators in Fl.
    Yes i knew we had crocs and I had previously had read they were not so big, but apparently that is no so.
    The American is one of the larger crocodile species. Males can reach lengths of 6.1 m (20 ft), weighing up to 907 kg (2,000 lb).[5] On average, mature males are more in the range of 4.1 m (13.5 ft) to 4.8 m (15.7 ft) in length weighing about 400 kg (880 lb).[6] As with other crocodile species, females are smaller; rarely exceeding 3.8 m (12.5 ft) in length.[7]
    Fortunately their range in the USA is said to be limited to South FL and from a map I guess some US controlled islands like Puerto Rico.
    American crocodiles are dangerous to humans; attacks in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama are not unprecedented. These attacks rarely make international news, so this species is not as well-documented as a man-eater, as are its relatives.[16] The species is often reportedly timid, and seemingly lacks the propensity to attack people as regularly as Old World crocodiles do.[10] Crocodiles are, as a general rule, more aggressive than alligators, at least towards humans. The American crocodile rates, temperamentally somewhere in the middle of all crocodilians.[41] A study by the IUCN found that the American crocodile has the highest incidence of reported attacks on humans of any of the crocodilians from the Americas, but fatalities were rare.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just what Florida needs.
    Scientists verified the animals were Nile crocodiles linked to native populations in South Africa, and confirmed the species can survive in Florida—and potentially thrive, said Kenneth Krysko, herpetology collections manager at the Florida Museum of Natural History on the UF campus.
    They article claimed the nile croc could survive throughout the gulf coast that I hope is not true. We get freezing temperatures up this way and I could not find any information on what was the lowest temperature they can survive.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just what Florida needs. They article claimed the nile croc could survive throughout the gulf coast that I hope is not true. We get freezing temperatures up this way and I could not find any information on what was the lowest temperature they can survive.

dang immigrants....eating all our little furry critters up...between them and the pythons, everglades are done...

Top Bottom