Target Sports

Croc Eats Terrier That Taunted Him for 10 Years!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It depends on if there is any pressure. right now not so many are killed by gators and as I have suggested property owners tend to on the quiet take care of problem on their own. Last i heard the FL Wildlife people were still looking for who ever killed a black bear last year in southern santa rosa county. A few months ago black bears were raiding porches and garages near me in the pace, FL area and then the problem suddenly just stopped. Was the bear relocated or did something else happen to it?
    Trust me.... there is a shit ton already killed every year in the state legally... probably close to 10k every year. If you have a legitimate gator problem there are legal ways to handle it.... people just need to not be dumbasses and show a little caution around the water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trust me.... there is a shit ton already killed every year in the state legally... probably close to 10k every year. If you have a legitimate gator problem there are legal ways to handle it.... people just need to not be dumbasses and show a little caution around the water.

if there is a gator of any size in near by waters, showing caution means your dogs and small children can not go anyway near the water Basically it means the gators own the water way. Not acceptable at all. In the worst case scenario I have ever heard of a friend that years ago while walking her dog in a FL subdivision on dry land got chased by what was the local neighborhood 8 ft gator. This was some years ago. She grabbed her dog and climbed on top of a car to get away from the gator. She was not mistaking the intentions of the gator. It was likely hungry and after the dog. I believe the wildlife people are better at dealing with such gators these days. I do live near a creek, but do not think there is enough food to keep them too long. The major attraction would some of the ponds that many have on their land that hold fish. Shooting them at night should not be too hard since with a light their eyes really glow well. An alligator hunter wants to recover the body does not want to simply shoot them having them sink out of sight while someone that just wants them dead does not have the same considerations.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Full disclosure I am a licensed nuisance trapper for the state... I would shoot every one of these stupid bastards if I could... 99% of the gators I catch, are not a true nuisance, but rather just happened to swim by some rich person's house who thinks there shouldn't be alligators in Florida. I would shoot them if I could, but it's too much paperwork, and too much liability. After gas/tackle, I never break even financially. I do it strictly as a hobby. This will probably be my last year doing it, however.
    44d106eec5b957c98d19ca75e99bab51.jpg
    fd9b1d0386ef047e8f32395411e00877.jpg
    b429e359e6701588ed282ba0a0d91ce3.jpg
    274259fb8ccc0209d4c598350d1193e8.jpg
    9dac9d4cc266d410f3d9562812856fd4.jpg
    db312b69ddedebbb671258cdf501ba22.jpg
    e4e26b1c1d6fb7d2f63756cf545399ff.jpg

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a tricky subject, both gators & bears.
    There are disappearances of small kids that occur near water or forest,
    and everyone thinks "WHO TOOK THEM?" instead of WHAT took them.
    But nobody wants to go down that trail of exploration...
    Nobody wants to talk about those big coyote/wild dogs either...

Prior to around 1980, homeowners pretty much took care of any problem critter they came across.
    When I was growing up, rarely ever would a bear or gator be seen...then after coming back from
    the Army in '95, a favored fishin' hole was chock full of Gators...was up there and saw a pig get taken...
    ugly scene for the pig but a great warning to tell me to get the heck out of there & never fish there again.
    Dead River...Bone Creek...seems like the older folks really knew how to name the water features ;)

The reason there are so many alligators and bears now is the lack of control over the population.
    It's why they're becoming a problem more often...and Fish & Game knew about a lot of bears being
    taken illegally...a whole lot more than was being reported, to be certain. It's why they opened an
    actual Bear Season, so that folks could clear out the nuisance bears and they could gather the Information
    on the ones that were taken...can't get any info if the homeowners do a "Shoot, Shovel & Shaddap".

They were even slower to react to the Python/other big snakes problem when it erupted after Andrew...
    they thought most of them would die off in the Glades, gator chow, but it's become rather obvious that
    the gators were the chow for the snakes, and now there's a real big problem, and it's moving towards us
    as the snakes aclimate to Florida...

So, in my view, if you gotta take care of your family/other familes, do what you gotta do.
    Prefferrably call Animal Control, but as we all know, they're overworked as heck and may not
    be able to deal with it in a timely manner. Deputies responses can vary wildly as well, from being able
    to handle an animal issue, to totally fogging it. I can tell ya it's sad to see someone shoot a deer in
    the back of the skull, only to have the deer bleat in pain and require another shot in a better place.
    (This is why I'm so against 9mm, BTW. It's not humane for deer, much less humans.)

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shot placement... a 22lr will ruin a 10ft alligator

I have watched films of people catching gators for meat and skin and as they pulled the live gator to the boat I saw one where a hatchet was used and in another an M1 carbine. The brain case of a gator is very small. exactly where would you place a .22 lr in the skull of a gator?
    Allidors.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Attachments

• Allidors.jpg
      Allidors.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 301
    • maxresdefault.jpg
      maxresdefault.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 312

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You shoot em in the eye and they fold up like a cheap lawn chair... (so I've been told)

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Of course if you have one boat side, or are from an angle where you are over top one, right behind the head, severing the spine will do just fine.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's a tricky subject, both gators & bears.
    There are disappearances of small kids that occur near water or forest,
    and everyone thinks "WHO TOOK THEM?" instead of WHAT took them.
    But nobody wants to go down that trail of exploration...
    Nobody wants to talk about those big coyote/wild dogs either...

Prior to around 1980, homeowners pretty much took care of any problem critter they came across.
    When I was growing up, rarely ever would a bear or gator be seen...then after coming back from
    the Army in '95, a favored fishin' hole was chock full of Gators...was up there and saw a pig get taken...
    ugly scene for the pig but a great warning to tell me to get the heck out of there & never fish there again.
    Dead River...Bone Creek...seems like the older folks really knew how to name the water features ;)

The reason there are so many alligators and bears now is the lack of control over the population.
    It's why they're becoming a problem more often...and Fish & Game knew about a lot of bears being
    taken illegally...a whole lot more than was being reported, to be certain. It's why they opened an
    actual Bear Season, so that folks could clear out the nuisance bears and they could gather the Information
    on the ones that were taken...can't get any info if the homeowners do a "Shoot, Shovel & Shaddap".

They were even slower to react to the Python/other big snakes problem when it erupted after Andrew...
    they thought most of them would die off in the Glades, gator chow, but it's become rather obvious that
    the gators were the chow for the snakes, and now there's a real big problem, and it's moving towards us
    as the snakes aclimate to Florida...

So, in my view, if you gotta take care of your family/other familes, do what you gotta do.
    Prefferrably call Animal Control, but as we all know, they're overworked as heck and may not
    be able to deal with it in a timely manner. Deputies responses can vary wildly as well, from being able
    to handle an animal issue, to totally fogging it. I can tell ya it's sad to see someone shoot a deer in
    the back of the skull, only to have the deer bleat in pain and require another shot in a better place.
    (This is why I'm so against 9mm, BTW. It's not humane for deer, much less humans.)

Just how far north have those pythons gotten to so far. Are there any herpetologists that think they could make it to NWFL. Not a pleasant thought for sure. Best way to hunt them is with a tracking dog on a very short lease from what I hear.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apparently there was a warning issued and no control hunters were sent to deal with the issue until after the woman was killed and eaten. Too bad someone had not put a bullet into it earlier. https://abcnews.go.com/US/warning-i...n-attacked-killed-alligator/story?id=55788640

An alligator warning was issued to residents of a South Florida homeowners association two days before a 47-year-old woman was attacked and killed by an alligator, according to a report.
    The Isla del Sol Homeowners Association in Plantation reportedly issued the wildlife alert on Wednesday in an email that urged residents to "exercise caution with our families and pets, mindful that alligators, snakes, and other wildlife may be in the area." ....................
    Gator hunters were dispatched to the scene and captured and killed an alligator measuring 12 feet 6 inches. When the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission performed a necropsy on the reptile, they found Matsuki's arm, identified by a tattoo, in the gator's stomach, officials said.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The gator was doing what gators do... not sure how it's anyone's fault but the woman's...

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To be honest, especially with dogs, I do not go by any water that a gator can hide in if possible. Legally this might be considered an attractive nuisance. At a construction site if after hours for example little boys go into play and get hurt. If those legally responsible for site did not take measures they can be sued. There was no signage or fencing at this site that was recreational spot that people and dogs would frequent. Is what happened a big surprise to you?

Years ago as a graduate student I was helping another student collect specimens on an island at the mouth of the Mississippi river and we were warned there was 12 foot gater on the reserve. It was assumed that a big gator was more likely to attack a human than a smaller one would. The bigger the gator, the more likely it is to attack larger prey and a small woman (victim had Japanese name suggesting she was small) equals for sure being in the prey range for that gator. Gators are eating machines working on instinct, reflexes, and responses.
    So you say the victim was responsible. I say she made a made a fatal choice just like most victims of crimes, but she still was the victim and the gators was killed afterwards. Better to kill or remove the gator first from a public recreational area. Just happens to be common sense. Gators are no longer endangered in FL and taking out the larger ones from public areas will not hurt the ecology so much. The major impact could be genetic selection against big gators.

What is not clear if people were feeding that gator which often happens and will teach them that humans mean the presence of food.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I killed a 12'6" gator last year. The same length as the gator that ate the woman... putting my hands on a gator this big, I have no doubt he is able to eat any normal sized adult given the opportunity. I weighed about 180 at the time of this pic (August 2017) and I'm 5'9"... damn large animal.

a065d606d2ea23b3deaf2f9593ef8fae.jpg

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    here lizard lizard....come to the light...

There is an old story in my family of an uncle that worked in the engine room of freighters. He said they were docked in I believe Brazil and the cook got drunk and purchased an anaconda that got loose I think in the engine room. Anyway the cook was down there drunk according to the story with a sac going here kitty trying to get the snake back. They eventually paid some indians to remove the snake.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Walking near the waters edge of ponds, lakes and rivers in most of Florida is just not a good idea. Once a Gator grabs you and pulls you in the water you're done as they are much better swimmers than you are. Pulling humans into the water for a big gator I doubt is that tough. I mean their cousin, the Crocodile in Africa, sits at the waters edge and pulls water buffalo into the water for a meal!

Top Bottom