• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Need some insight from GCGF. I’ve spent a lot of time researching 6.5mm cartridges over the past couple of weeks, and have decided I’d like to try one out. Problem is, I can’t decide if I want to build up a 6.5 Grendel or try out the Creedmoor wonder round. I understand that it’s kind of an apples and oranges situation - one is a full size cartridge, the other intermediate. They’re both great at a lot of things. Perhaps it is obvious, but in theory the Creedmoor should do everything the Grendel does, but better. Question is - is it “better” enough to justify the investment over a Grendel? Right now, I could put together a very nice Grendel upper, or I could put that money into a Creedmoor bolt gun. Not really interested in doing a semi auto if I go the Creedmoor route.

My purposes for the rifle will be a multi-function rig. I’d like to take it out hunting, hit the bench and punch some paper, and eventually take it out to very long range.

If you could pick one, which would it be and why?

ETA - somehow this ended up in Giveaways... must have fat fingered on my phone. Could a mod please move the thread into General Gun Talk?

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Given the parameters of your question . . . my pick would be a Ruger RPR chambered in 6.5C.
    I have shot them . . . low(ish) recoil . . . extremely accurate . . . ok for fixed position hunting. Wish the bbl was longer - - - - BUT ?? ---- SAWMAN

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    How far will you shoot?

Where I hunt, it’s anywhere from 50-400 yards. Been checking into local ranges that offer distance shooting. I know both of these cartridges really shine at longer range; to be honest this is my first foray into distance shooting, but I want to do it right the first time.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Grendel should be just fine. Plus, you can build it out of AR15 parts and be semi auto

If 500+ Creedmoor is king, but seems to work best out of bolt Guns. RPR being a solid option since it’s ready to go.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Creedmoor isn't necessarily "better".... It's definitely bigger. More capacity to move the bullet farther/faster. Do you need that? That's up to you. If you're going to push the 600-1000 more, I'd go with the big one. If it's going to be mostly 600 and in, I'd go with the little guy. That's just me though. I don't actually shoot my guns, I just stare at them dreaming of the day when I'll get to.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    3-400 is really not that far. My SBR can do 400 all day with crap mil ammo. However, you need a larger better bullet for a good kill.
    I vote Grendel, unless you want a bolt gun. Cost of ammo is a toss up.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would go with the Creedmoor in a bolt gun...should cover all of your requirements and then some...I run .260s

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Creedmoor isn't necessarily "better".... It's definitely bigger. More capacity to move the bullet farther/faster. Do you need that? That's up to you. If you're going to push the 600-1000 more, I'd go with the big one. If it's going to be mostly 600 and in, I'd go with the little guy. That's just me though. I don't actually shoot my guns, I just stare at them dreaming of the day when I'll get to.

The struggle, lol. Yeah, the "better" is completely dependent on the shooting situation. Breaking it down realistically, I don't necessarily need the 600+ yard capability - but the option to grow into that is appealing. Grendel can do it, but Creedmoor can do it easier.

Dan1612 said:
    3-400 is really not that far. My SBR can do 400 all day with crap mil ammo. However, you need a larger better bullet for a good kill.
    I vote Grendel, unless you want a bolt gun. Cost of ammo is a toss up.

No worries there, I'll be reloading either way. You run a Grendel SBR?

Jester896 said:
    I would go with the Creedmoor in a bolt gun...should cover all of your requirements and then some...I run .260s

Yep. If I end up going Creedmoor, it's going to be a bolt.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Got a buddy that just finished building a 260AI in a 26" bolt gun. Waiting on his assessment of vels and accuracy.
    The 6mmCreedmoor is another "interesting" chambering although not much difference in that and 243Win. Some great vels out of the 243AI though.
    Shooters that want to get the most out of chamberings like this need to have a minimum of 22 inches of bbl. To me . . . 24 or 26 would be mo bedda. ---- SAWMAN

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    You run a Grendel SBR?
    No Sir, just a 5.56 shooting XM193 out of an 11” barrel with a 1-6x on top.
    My point was that while 5.56 doesn’t have the terminal ballistics, hitting 400 doesn’t need a magical bullet, but the extra weight and velocity from the Grendel will be plenty to take down a deer or hog. I’ve got a buddy who’s a farmer that has no problem taking deer out to 800 with his Grendel.

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Opinion - - -> A good gain in vels. The price you pay is at the reloading bench (brass) and bbl wear.
    This chambering is a good bit overbore. ( powder burned,for bore size,for attained vels)
    The reloader should probably drop the charge back a bit. But then . . . your back down to 6.5C or 260Rem.
    Kinda like the 220Swift. "ONLY" push the 50gr bullets to 3850 . . . then your back "down" to 22-250 vels.
    The 6mm Creedmoor is overbore also. --- SAWMAN

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Opinion - - -> A good gain in vels. The price you pay is at the reloading bench (brass) and bbl wear.
    This chambering is a good bit overbore. ( powder burned,for bore size,for attained vels)
    The reloader should probably drop the charge back a bit. But then . . . your back down to 6.5C or 260Rem.
    Kinda like the 220Swift. "ONLY" push the 50gr bullets to 3850 . . . then your back "down" to 22-250 vels.
    The 6mm Creedmoor is overbore also. --- SAWMAN

Sawman, when you have a chance watch the YouTube video I just posted on the 6.5 PRC being compared to the 300 Win Mag, pretty interesting!

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My 6.5WSM runs a 142 3200 fps and the primers are just starting to get flat

Top Bottom