• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ordered my Suppressor months ago and was wondering what type of ammo is best for suppressed shooting in 9mm, .40,. 45, .223, and .308 , and where is best place to get it?. I got a Silencerco. thanks for any info.:painkiller:

StrangerDanger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty much any 45 ammo will work fine because it’s all below 1100 FPS. The others you will just have to shop around. Subsonic 308 ammo getting more common. I don’t think I’ve ever seen factory made sub 223 ammo. 9 will require some shopping too. People still shoot 40?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ordered my Suppressor months ago and was wondering what type of ammo is best for suppressed shooting in 9mm, .40,. 45, .223, and .308 , and where is best place to get it?. I got a Silencerco. thanks for any info.:painkiller:

Regardless of the ammo, always "paper test" it without the suppressor attached, before you ever use it through your can. Meaning: shoot some paper targets at close range to ensure the ammo is not "keyholing". The ammo might very well be subsonic, but it could be for different reasons: very heavy projectile, very light powder load, or a mix of the two. The various cocktail may not stabilize the bullet with your barrel length and rifling twist. Better safe to check first, than be sorry with a baffle strike.

Also, some subsonic pistol ammo may very well go transonic or supersonic out of the longer barrel of a pistol-caliber carbine. (Again, always papertest first).

Try the ammo before you buy a case of it.

As for recommendations:
    9mm in 147-grain or heavier is generally subsonic already (unless it's a Self-defense round).
    45acp is almost always subsonic
    .223 and .308 are subsonic by exception, not the rule.

latch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    hes-right-you-know.jpg

Attachments

• hes-right-you-know.jpg
      hes-right-you-know.jpg
      31.4 KB · Views: 157

Latest posts

Top Bottom