DK Firearms

WTB Appliance Dolly and moving boxes/supplies.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I wouldn't mind buying an appliance dolly to help with the upcoming move, especially given what Uhaul charges to rent them. If anyone has one of them, or any moving boxes or storage tubs, please let me know.

Thanks!

StrangerDanger

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im too far away to loan you anything but advice.
    Hand trucks can be purchased reasonably cheap at Lowe’s or local hardware stores. The flat Dolly’s with the casters on bottom can be purchased at harbor freight for practically nothing

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Im too far away to loan you anything but advice.
    Hand trucks can be purchased reasonably cheap at Lowe’s or local hardware stores. The flat Dolly’s with the casters on bottom can be purchased at harbor freight for practically nothing

Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably going to pick up one of the flat dolly's, but I'm really hoping to find an appliance dolly for less than new prices. Harbor freight has them for around $100 and Uhaul rents them for $40. I question the durability of the HF dollies, since I'd like to use it to help move my safe.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A lot of pawn shops have appliance dollies for sale.
    There’s one on FB Marketplace for $60.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd stick with a regular dolly. A while ago I spent some time in the moving industry and frankly in all the many moves I did and ran, the appliance dolly was very rarely used. Most regular dollies are rated to 800 to 900lbs which is the same as appliance dollies. Other than massively wide things such as wide fridges or are using the sliders on a appliance dolly to go up and down stairs they aren't as versatile as a regular dolly. This is all assuming you have someone to help you move large bulky things which you should anyway.

Oh, and get your packing materials from Uhual unless you have a industry hookup who can buy them wholesale they are the cheapest anyone can buy. I would also stay away from free boxes from when stores do restocking. They will make your move longer and generally aren't as sturdy.

Last edited:

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    get some heavyduty furniture pads, they can be put on floor, many pcs of furniture can
    go on them, to pull them around corners...

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. Lots of great tips here. Can't believe moving could be that difficult. How about calling someone to move that crap and be done with it. Where is this gun forum headed? It should be called gulf coast politics,bullshit and gimme your crap for free forum. Get you some rollar blades and skate your crap out of there.. Good luck with your move Tenn Jeep!

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How about calling someone to move that crap and be done with it.

We are definitely going to have a couple moving companies come give us quotes next week once we have a good amount of our stuff boxed up and our realtor tells us what she wants us to leave for staging. The more we box up, the more we're leaning in the direction that it'll be worth it to pay someone else and us just focus on unpacking and getting settled.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are definitely going to have a couple moving companies come give us quotes next week once we have a good amount of our stuff boxed up and our realtor tells us what she wants us to leave for staging. The more we box up, the more we're leaning in the direction that it'll be worth it to pay someone else and us just focus on unpacking and getting settled.

If you go this route, there's a lot you can do on your own to minimize the cost. For most 3-4 bedroom houses your looking at around $1000 to $2000 for a reputable national company depending on distance, stairs, how much prep work you do and how much stuff you got (assuming your staying local).

Honestly, doing a self-move isn't too hard if you know what your doing and have the right equipment. FYI, I no longer work in the moving industry so I really don't have a dog in selling anything. I'm just trying to help someone one.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You moving out of Baldwin County?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Staying in Baldwin County.

If you go this route, there's a lot you can do on your own to minimize the cost. For most 3-4 bedroom houses your looking at around $1000 to $2000 for a reputable national company depending on distance, stairs, how much prep work you do and how much stuff you got (assuming your staying local).

Honestly, doing a self-move isn't too hard if you know what your doing and have the right equipment. FYI, I no longer work in the moving industry so I really don't have a dog in selling anything. I'm just trying to help someone one.

I greatly appreciate all the advice! We haven't even packed up half the house yet and $2000 seems like a worthwhile investment to have someone else deal with all of this stuff. Since it's just my wife and I (and possibly a friend or two), I especially think it'll be worth it to have someone else deal with all of the furniture at the very least. But not having to worry about any of it seems like a better and better idea.

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Moving is not any fun, I'm not sure there is a right way to do it. Hopefully it will go smooth and you'll be happy about it once you get settled in your new place. Best of luck to you.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you are moving straight from one house into the other, and you have the luxury of time, a partial self-move will be less expensive and you will reduce the risk of damages.

Moving companies won't take responsibility for boxes they didn't pack (unless they completely crush the box or something ridiculous), so your dishes, fragile electronics, or the glass/frames of pictures, etc... all at your own risk if you packed/wrapped it and let them throw it into a truck and unload it on the other end. Also, making a claim for damages is a pain, and I never felt like we were "made whole" by the settlement.

For heavy/bulky stuff, though? Heck yeah, pay some linebackers to literally do the heavy-lifting. Just be there to supervise, nicely.

They'll need to wrap all sides of those safes with layers of furniture pads, or you could have nasty gouges/scratches from the furniture dollies and walls of the truck. Ask me how I know... "Oh, those scratches were already there before we moved it, sir"... Yeah. Those kinda movers exist.

New boxes from a store will be uniform in size, sturdier, cleaner (roach/spider "free"), and easier to pack in the truck/trailer. Also, U-Haul will let you return any unused/unopened stuff, with your receipt, once you're done.

Lift with your legs. Take breaks. Have fun.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got a dolly you are welcome to use. Need help call. got a lot of moving blankets, just helped with one move so got experience. Just my 5 cents jj save money buy ammo.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    60520_I.jpg

$90 from Harbor Freight. When you're done with it, sell it on Craigslist for $60.

Edit: $76.50 with the 15% off coupons that are everywhere

Attachments

• 60520_I.jpg
      60520_I.jpg
      75.4 KB · Views: 25
    Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    63098_zzz_500.jpg

11 bucks same place.