APOD Firearms

WTB Appliance Dolly and moving boxes/supplies.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    You will absolutely need an appliance dolly to move a heavy gun safe. A regular dolly isn’t stout enough.
    I bought mine at an estate sale. It weighs 800 lbs.
    I used an appliance dolly and a 5x8 trailer to bring it home.
    I backed it up to the trailer (I took the ramp/tailgate off) and laid it down on the floor of the trailer making sure the floor and corners were well padded with blankets.
    I had 2 friends helping me, mostly for balancing the safe on the dolly.
    I didn’t have any stairs to deal with so your situation may be different.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I paid a safe company $500 to move all my safes, and they used safe jacks and a trailer with hydraulics that lowered all the way to the ground. Money well spent.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I paid a safe company $500 to move all my safes, and they used safe jacks and a trailer with hydraulics that lowered all the way to the ground. Money well spent.

I've moved my 850lb safe two times since I got it and hated it every time. The next time I move I'd rather just hire someone for safety and deflection of liability. I've personally seen several injuries from movers dealing with safes and they weren't pretty. Last one was a team who decided to dolly a 800lbs safe up stairs. They almost made it until someone slipped and the safe fell and broke a leg on one guy bracing it on the bottom. I only weigh 150 and have moved stuff 400 and 500lbs in weight up stairs with a good team but I know my limits and the laws of physics.

Most dollies, even the appliance ones are all rated to a max of 800lbs. So for the most part your going to need specialized equipment. If I absolutely had to do it myself I'd rent a liftgate Penske or a Uhual low trailer and then go rent a safe jack.

Top Bottom