• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This large boar was just over 300 yards out... I estimated a hold over and you can hear the bullet hit on the first shot. As he reappears you can see he is hurt... he was recovered just feet from where you see him enter the woods.

He was recovered the next am, the rifle in the picture was not the rifle used.

Don't think I'll shoot at them that far away anymore.

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Somebody sure needs to come up with a way to remove the bad taste/smell on all that pork?
    But the big nasty boars are left for buzzards and coyote to eat

Anybody has any suggestion on how to remove that bad ass taste on all that "PORK"? :flypig::deadhorse::hungry::rockon::grouphug:

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Never researched it, but mature wild boar is considered prime eating in Europe I have read. Must be in the cleaning, preparation, and cooking as in all wild game cooking.

Now, contacting folks to come and get them late at night....good luck!

Edit: Good work Bow! You are hooked on this night game. It seems cool, but in this climate at this time of year...dedication shows. Thanks for sharing all the vids!

Last edited:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Never researched it, but mature wild boar is considered prime eating in Europe I have read. Must be in the cleaning, preparation, and cooking as in all wild game cooking.

Now, contacting folks to come and get them late at night....good luck!

Will need to do some research on the process, Must be in the cleaning, preparation, and cooking as in all wild game cooking.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    nice!...ran straight to the deer too :) My longest has been 200...we normally stalk to 100 or less and shoot. What are you shooting with?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I've never killed or had a night hunting partner kill one that really smelled bad in our opinion here in NW Florida. Yes, all have a faint "wild animal" odor, as in get your nose about 2' away, but it's never been bad or obnoxious.

OK, with that having been said, after cleaning, I was told and read the secret is to wash off the meat with the garden hose, put the meat in a cooler, cover with ice and sprinkle salt (I use Morton Coarse Kosher Salt) on top of the ice. Every 24 hours open the cooler drain and water red from the blood will pour out. Put more ice on as needed to keep the meat covered and put more salt on top of the ice. Drain after the next 24 hours, cover with more ice and salt. It takes at least 3 24 hour cycles until the water draining off has lost the red color, with each drain cycle getting lighter and lighter in red to pink color water that drains off. I typically go 4 24 hour cycles if I have enough time. I then clean any remaining hairs off, cut away chunks of fat and blood shot areas, and wrap and freeze the meat I'll be making pulled pork with or giving away or taking meat to have sausage or cured ham made from. The goal is to get most of the blood out of the meat. After such soaking and salting and draining, much of the meat will have a pale color to it.

One of my neighbors, who now grows peanuts and cotton used to raise hogs in Illinois. He can tell by taste when I make pulled pork from a wild boar vs make it from a sow, but no one else who's tasted it seems to be able to tell and says they all taste good.

My brother happened to be here when I got my largest boar of 272 pounds. My brother lives in Georgia and said "they" (Georgia hunters) would have left such a boar to the coyotes and vultures, but on a later trip here he had to admit the meat tasted fine.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    All I do is salt water brine 1 cup Kosher salt in a gallon of water over the ice, drain in 24 hrs then add ice and more brine 1/2 cup to a gallon, keep adding ice for 3 days, then process. I never take a hog to a processor as they simply hang or butcher immediately and the meat sucks.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    nice!...ran straight to the deer too :) My longest has been 200...we normally stalk to 100 or less and shoot. What are you shooting with?

Mix of 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel. Thermal is a Pulsar Trail XP50.

Jason

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    At 300, that 6.8 shouldn't be that far off. Must have been nicking his back.... Need ta kill more of them jokers. Take one out and 8 more will replace em... HAHAHA

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My 18" Bison 6.8 is zeroed at 50yds. (using thermal)
    Shooting a 85gr. Barnes TSX at just under 3100fps I can hold "hair" on hogs at 300yds+.
    The reason that I shoot that bullet at that speed is so that I will not have to adjust my POA if I target the smaller yotes.
    I would reccomend that you change your bullet/load or rezero your thermal sight. ---- pruhdlr

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    DANG!!! That seems like a heck of a drop but I never have looked into the 6.8's

I kind of thought the same...
    30-30 has about the same drop at 300 yrds

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    ran this in Sierra Software assuming a MV of 3000 and sight height of 1.75...doubt they are running that fast

Scan.jpg

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
      Scan.jpg
      252.3 KB · Views: 127

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Plug in a sight height of 3.5 - 4.0 inches and see what you get.
    Guessing . . . that bullet is coming out of his gun at ABOUT 2600fps if it is a factory load coming out of 16 inches of bbl.
    I am not trying to pick his methods apart. Just cannot understand why,in the vid,he was holding soooooo high. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Me and Frank tried to convince him to switch to the mighty 300BLK . . BUT Noooooooooooo.
    The Blackout will kill 'em if you just come close. ---- SAWMAN

Top Bottom