• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So the family and I were leaving WalMart tonight after getting a few things and when we walked out the alarm went off. There were other people walking out at the same time so I stopped and went back and and came back out and it went off again with just me going through. So it was me. A worker came over and was very nice saying sometimes expensive purses will set them off (that is what my wife was carrying) and looked at my wife. She said she could look in her purse and I told the lady it was me for sure. I walked back in and back out and it went off again. All I had on me was my wallet, gun, and car keys. They lady said sorry some times it will go off it the person has a metal hip or something. I said sure I’ve got a metal hip let’s go with that. She said have a good night and we left.

Has anyone else set off the detector when when leaving because of a gun? I had not old tags in clothing or anything that you would think would set them off. I’ve carried in that Walmart plenty of times before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    103   0   0
    I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I want to say I'd own it and tell I was packing but on reflection maybe not. I go in and out of the Walmart on Creighton Rd. in Pensacola and have never had that experience. What is the size of your carry and is it all metal and do you carry extra metal loaded magazines? That may all contribute.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For me - - -> Am I stealing from them ?? I have my receipt for everything that I have bought from them.I keep walking.
    END OF STORY !!
    They do not deserve or need to know anything else about me. They can't look anywhere or touch/feel anywhere.
    If they want to take THEIR screwup any further,they or I will need to call a REAL cop and I will answer any and all of his questions. Even beyond . . . this is my merchandise and this is my receipt. BTW . . . I will not tell him that I have a concealed weapon unless he asks.
    After that . . . I will demand a "real" apology from both the local store manager AND corporate. Remember,all this hassle is because of their damned machine.
    ( And this is me being nice !! ) ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The REAL discussion begins with this question - - -> Does Walmart have the legal right to physically detain you ?? ---- SAWMAN

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    unless someone comes out after me, I keep walking, esp if others went thru the same place at the same time...I know I am clean, so the onus is on them, not me.

been a long time since anyone even asked for a receipt when leaving.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Florida State Statute 812.015(3)(a)

A law enforcement officer, a merchant, a farmer, or a transit agency's employee or agent, who has probable cause to believe that a retail theft, farm theft, a transit fare evasion, or trespass, or unlawful use or attempted use of any antishoplifting or inventory control device countermeasure, has been committed by a person and, in the case of retail or farm theft, that the property can be recovered by taking the offender into custody may, for the purpose of attempting to effect such recovery or for prosecution, take the offender into custody and detain the offender in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time. In the case of a farmer, taking into custody shall be effectuated only on property owned or leased by the farmer. In the event the merchant, merchant's employee, farmer, or a transit agency's employee or agent takes the person into custody, a law enforcement officer shall be called to the scene immediately after the person has been taken into custody.

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They never accused us of shoplifting. In fact when we started talking to her she never asked to look at a receipt. She wanted to say it was my wife’s “expensive” purse. But it would only go off when I walked through the “gate” if you will. So I ruled that out. Really my question was has this happened to you BECAUSE you were carrying. I had my Glock 19 in a kydex holster. This was a first for me. The only time this has happened to me was I bought a pair of old navy jeans and they sew their anti theft tag into the jeans. That time it would only happen at old navy.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I would suspect it might be y'alls magnetic personality. In today's world I would say security in any place of business must be a total nightmare and X 10 at walmart. In my little world if I don't see you steal , I don't feel comfortable to assume you did. I imagine I lose a lot of smaller items, but what can you do, how far is too far ?

cablechris

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am carrying every time twice a week at a walmart a G26 so i don't think that would cause it

I wonder what it could have been. I pulled all my clothes inside out to see if I had a security tag see in and there was not one. It was going off with me. So I don’t know what else it could have been.

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Simple to test your theory, after leaving the store, leave your wife and gun in the truck and walk back in. If it alerts again, then it wasn't your gun.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife bought a new pocketbook a few months ago that caused alarms to sound when walking through them at walmart and publix. She took it back to Bealls where she bought it and told them. The first women said she never heard of such a thing but someone else came over and said it has happened before. Apparently if it has a magnetic clasp and the sensitivity is set too high on the theft device at some stores this will happen.

She likes the bag so now she leaves it in the car when going in stores and just takes her wallet.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife bought a new pocketbook a few months ago that caused alarms to sound when walking through them at walmart and publix. She took it back to Bealls where she bought it and told them. The first women said she never heard of such a thing but someone else came over and said it has happened before. Apparently if it has a magnetic clasp and the sensitivity is set too high on the theft device at some stores this will happen.

She likes the bag so now she leaves it in the car when going in stores and just takes her wallet.

The same thing has happened to my mother and one of her purses.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I would suspect it might be y'alls magnetic personality. In today's world I would say security in any place of business must be a total nightmare and X 10 at walmart. In my little world if I don't see you steal , I don't feel comfortable to assume you did. I imagine I lose a lot of smaller items, but what can you do, how far is too far ?

I have stolen quite a few things from your store. Large and small. I thought you saw me and just didn't care. Now I feel bad. I'll send you a check next week.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I have a "metal hip" and two stents and have never set it off. Interesting.

Top Bottom