• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody know the drill to obtain the Vet's ID card, the non-retiree one? Pensacola area.

Rick

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Stand by while I look. I just saw an article about this. Creepily enough, since this was mandated by congress but not funded, they now come with an Office Depot advertisement on the back .

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oh sorry. I am interested in this also. Thanks for posting.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=3979

VA Announces Rollout and Application Process for New Veterans ID Card
    WASHINGTON — Today the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service.

This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor Veterans, and today’s rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.

Only those Veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide proof of military service, and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD-214 form to obtain promotional discounts and other services where offered to Veterans.

“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for most Veterans to show proof of service,” said VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, Veterans with honorable service to our nation will no longer need to carry around their paper DD-214s to obtain Veteran discounts and other services.”

The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated time in service, but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the armed forces, including the reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) can request a VIC.

To request a VIC, Veterans must visit vets.gov, click on “Apply for Printed Veteran ID Card” on the bottom left of the page and sign in or create an account.

Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of their cards at vets.gov. A digital version of the VIC will be available online by mid-December.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/02/16/should-you-get-new-veteran-id-card.html

HOW DO YOU GET THE VETERANS ID CARD?
    Getting the card is actually pretty easy, at least as easy as dealing with the VA can be. It took me about 15 minutes to log on to VETS.GOV, create an account, enter my service data, and upload a selfie that I took with my phone. Of course, I did this back in November when the program started and had several issues with the website freezing up. According to the VA, those problems have been fixed.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is different from the VA health Care card. If you want one of those, in order to be able to receive VA health care, you'll need to go on down to the VA hospital there in Pensacola. Takes about 15 minutes for them to complete the application and a few weeks for it to get mailed to you.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All you need to prove your VA status in Florida as a honorably discharged veteran is to take you DD-214 down to the drivers license bureau and have them add the Veterans V to your driver's license. The last time I renewed my drivers license I did this and I've had no problem using to get veteran's discounts.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You can get the Florida DL with the Vet info on it...

Can veterans get a special designation on a driver license or identification card?
    Yes, veterans who live in the Sunshine State can add a veteran designation to their driver license or ID card.

To add Veteran to a license or ID card, veterans can visit any Florida driver license office, to include those operated by county tax collectors. They should plan to:

Present their DD-214, which shows their honorable discharge from active duty.
    Pay a one-time $1 fee, in additional to the replacement or renewal fee.
    Visit our What To Bring page to ensure they have all the other documents required.
    Veterans who need to obtain a copy of their DD-214, may request it through the National Archives, which provides information on how to make the request online at www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's all true, but you have to pay the replacement license fee ($30+?), and may still have to convince random checkout operators at various stores, etc. that's what it actually means. Its just a blue/black V placed at the bottom of the licence. Its not like they actually spell out the word "Veteran", or anything unambiguous like that.

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's all true, but you have to pay the replacement license fee ($30+?), and may still have to convince random checkout operators at various stores, etc. that's what it actually means. Its just a blue/black V placed at the bottom of the licence. Its not like they actually spell out the word "Veteran", or anything unambiguous like that.

Yea I don't have but figures that anything from the Govt is useless!!!

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Arkansas, at least seems to have it together.

View attachment 64336

I've got the V on my Florida license, and I definitely wouldn't have to want to on a regular basis, convince random people that's what it actually meant.

flllll.png

Attachments

• flllll.png
      flllll.png
      96.3 KB · Views: 125
    Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If you were an AL resident they will put VETERAN on the lower right side of your AL DL w/ a copy of your DD-214. *FWIW, AL also issues FREE Concealed Pistol Permits for retired military.

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My License has had the V on it for a long time and no one knows what it means that have ever seen it. A variety of online stores offer discounts and I always had to send a copy of the DD-214, this card supposedly replaces that, not that non holders will ever know that unless told IF they accept it..

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    All you need to prove your VA status in Florida as a honorably discharged veteran is to take you DD-214 down to the drivers license bureau and have them add the Veterans V to your driver's license. The last time I renewed my drivers license I did this and I've had no problem using to get veteran's discounts.

Yep, my wife just did that.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thought I posted this already but guess not, the new Florida Licenses spell out the word Veteran instead of just having the V.

Attachments

• New Florida Drivers License.JPG
      New Florida Drivers License.JPG
      37.1 KB · Views: 77

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Cost me under 10.00 for a new license. It wasn't time for a new one, but I knew I wanted to get veteran added to it.

Top Bottom