• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks like another one of our old enemies will help lead Iraq. Hmm...Our democracy in a box strategy is akin to SNL's Dick in a Box skit. It is so stupid its almost funny.

I fought this guys jaish al madi milita in eastern Baghdad up by sadr city. We lost quite a few brave patriots on those highways and narrow alley ways.

Can the powers that be let us win a war for once? We keep bragging about "back to back world war champs" but umm we don't have the best track record since then.

I am just a trigger puller though, what do I know about anything. I am sure we have so many combat experienced politicians that know how to win wars.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In addition, I read an article this morning that mentioned that for the first quarter of any year, we had dropped a record number of bombs in afghanistan in 2018 (the subject of the article was that we're actually running out of bombs). So I guess that's going pretty good too.

I have no idea what we're dropping this record number of bombs on after 17 years of bomb dropping.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My biggest fear was Iraq turning into another Vietnam... I only did 3 deployments so I can only imagine what those that are still in feel about the situation and have been in since the initial invasion.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its pretty much Boeing, Raytheon, and Northrop-Grumman. All the JDAM stuff is Boeing, of which there seems to be endless varieties. Block 11 software testing will be this summer.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Welp, I don’t see why not. Wouldn’t be the first Mid East country that we ousted a regime, so someone who hates us as bad *or worse* can take over. Probably won’t be the last.

I got lucky and didn’t go to Iraq, so I can’t comment on that. As far as Afghanistan.... I remember seeing birds flying out of the ANA compound with Afghan flags painted on the side, and said out loud “great when our kids come to fight here theyll have to deal with close air support”. I honestly thought we’d of have left first though.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For instance, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction concluded that 1,186 munitions were dropped in that country during the first quarter of 2018 ― the highest number recorded for the first three months of the year since tracking began in 2013; that number is also more than two and a half times the amount dropped in the first quarter of 2017.

Sure makes me wonder whats going on.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    More U.S. Bombs being dropped should not be a suprise, Trump made his position clear, put HIS Secretaries/Generals in place and told them to go to work! A bit different strategy from from obama.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    More U.S. Bombs being dropped should not be a suprise, Trump made his position clear, put HIS Secretaries/Generals in place and told them to go to work! A bit different strategy from from obama.

The graph above clearly shows you are correct. Guess who a couple of the secretaries/generals used to work for?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The graph above clearly shows you are correct. Guess who a couple of the secretaries/generals used to work for?

The Generals have worked under different Administrations based on time in Service. SecDef and the Service Secretaries could have varied prior positions but the clear difference from the past is the source and content of the Marching Orders they have been given.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With the ROE levied on our guys, I find it surprising that the number of bombs being dropped has increased. But then my guess is that the number of precision munition vs. dumb munitions has also increased, along with the cost of doing business. Oh, and now that Iraq will be led by a communist sympathizer and assisted by terrorists, some of our "old" enemies will have direct access to the hardware we gave Iraq, and plenty of time to devise ways of defeating it. M1 tanks and MRAPs come to mind. Nice, really nice.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When war becomes that profitable, you're going to start seeing a lot more of it

U.S. Air Force Secretary Pick Has Stock In 16 Defense Contractors

President Donald Trump’s pick for Air Force Secretary has stock in 16 defense companies and will have to divest from them if she is confirmed for the role, according to financial disclosure reports. Many appointees for high-level Pentagon posts before her have had to sell stock and quit their corporate gigs, but nominee Heather Wilson is unique in that she may have skirted lobbing restrictions after she left her congressional position in 2009.

A Republican congresswoman from the state of New Mexico from 1998 to 2009, Wilson served on the House Armed Services and Energy and Commerce committees, according to Defense News. She later got a gig at Sandia Corp, a subsidiary of Lockheed Martin. Lockheed oversees Sandia National Laboratories, which is owned by the government. That lab develops components for nuclear weapons, which, obviously, the government uses.

According to a February report from the Center for Public Integrity (CPI), Sandia benefited from her insider knowledge and used it to craft strategy so that the company could win a noncompetitive contract to continue its work on nuclear weapons. Basically, it avoided a government practice designed to keep costs down.

Here is more on how that played out, per CPI:

For example, in a July 2009 email to David L. Goldheim, Lockheed Martin’s director of corporate development at Sandia, about what to tell top federal officials, Wilson advised that “your message to these people is that competition is not in the best interest of the government and ask them to call [name redacted] today and tell him that a recompete at Sandia is not needed,” according to a copy of the email obtained by the Center for Public Integrity and shared with POLITICO.

The emails shed new light on how Wilson, 56, swiftly embarked on a career of “strategic advising,” a niche that’s been fashionable among many ex-lawmakers and officials since lobbying rules started becoming tighter in Washington. They provide a rare window into how such well-connected consultants, with virtually no public disclosure, leverage their experience to help private firms get their way with the government.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Trump taps Raytheon VP as Army secretary

By CONNOR O’BRIEN 07/19/2017 03:10 PM EDT Updated 07/19/2017 09:56 PM EDT
    President Donald Trump has chosen Raytheon executive Mark Esper to be the next Army secretary, the White House announced Wednesday night.

Esper, who is now Raytheon's vice president of government relations, is Trump's third pick for the Army's top civilian job after the first two candidates withdrew.

A Gulf War veteran, Esper is a retired Army lieutenant colonel and a 1986 graduate of West Point. He has worked for Raytheon, one of the "big five" defense contractors, since 2010.

Esper has also held senior positions at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Aerospace Industries Association.

Esper is a veteran of both Capitol Hill and the Pentagon. He has been the policy director for the House Armed Services Committee as well as director of national security affairs for then-Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.).

He was also a deputy assistant secretary of Defense during the George W. Bush administration and was the national policy director for the late Sen. Fred Thompson's 2008 presidential bid.

Esper must be confirmed by the Senate before heading to the Pentagon. But slow nomination and confirmation processes and a cramped calendar before the Senate's August recess mean the chamber likely won't take up his nomination until at least September.

Trump's first pick for the Army post, billionaire New York financier Vincent Viola, withdrew in February amid difficulty untangling his complex finances. The second pick, Tennessee Republican state Sen. Mark Green, withdrew amid mounting opposition over controversial statements he'd made about LGBT rights and Muslims.

So far, only one of Trump's service secretary nominees — Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson — has been confirmed.

The Senate Armed Services Committee has approved Navy Secretary nominee Richard Spencer, and the full Senate is expected to act soon.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How do any of the responses reply to the original post? This is not the first time our nation building has gone south, Iran is a pretty good example.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    How do any of the responses reply to the original post? This is not the first time our nation building has gone south, Iran is a pretty good example.

Probably be easier to list all attempts that didn’t go south.

Top Bottom