• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been buying/selling guns online using FTF as my primary means of transfer but never have shipped just due to hassle and potential for scams. I have a buyer that's interested in a rifle that's located in Tampa. I don't know him at all. What's the best way for me to protect myself from fraud or scam? Multiple times I've heard that long guns can be sold in your home state and shipped not using an FFL. This seems illegal and not in my best interest going this route. I don't know but I would much rather ship to an FFL to cover myself. Second is payment. I've read a lot about fake MO's being used or bad checks and Paypal having charges reversed so I'm wary of which route to take. I need to sell because I'm trying to pay off an expensive vacation so holding off isn't eaxctly an option. It wouldn't be the end of the world but I don't like paying interest on my credit card either. Anyone have some tips or advice on how you would proceed in this circumstance? Thanks everyone!

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unless it's something exotic, in my opinion, a fairly priced firearm will sell easy enough locally that shipping and all it entails, shouldn't be necessary. For example, you seem to be within a reasonable distance from at least Gulf Breeze, Navarre, Milton, Pace, Bagdad, and of course Pensacola, and Pensacola Beach.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ship to an FFL, AFTER you have cash in hand. That means AFTER the check/MO is cashed.

If any of that is not something you have time for, sell locally.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've had 2 shipping transactions, one went great with a paypal account and the other sucked cause I got a messed up gun and couldn't get my money back. I only do FTF now with proper I.D. etc, etc.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have purchased several online. Get his FFL to send you a copy of his Lic/info for the transfer. You can ship it to the FFL even across lines. You would need to enclose a copy of the FFL in the box along with a copy of your DL and send it to the FFL in a trackable shipment. If he can't log it in he can't log it out. Like mentioned above...get money..ship to FFL. Keep a copy of the FFL for your records. That way if you filled out a 4473 to get it and someone is tracking it to you.. you have all the info they need to keep moving.

It's really kinda easy... I have not been able to figure out why people advertise something to a national audience and only want to sell something within a 50 mile radius of the house :D

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer to sell online/shipped instead of ftf especially if I dont know the person I am dealing with. Much safer for me and them in case they decide to get stupid at the meetup. If and when I do ftf deals with someone I do not know, I never go alone. As mentioned above, all you need is a copy of the recieving ffl and send it with an adult signiture required at delivery. When selling, I only accept usps money orders as they are difficult to forge, or paypal payments.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Personally, when selling to a person from out of my area, I have always made it a rule to have them pay by USPS money order ONLY. Once I receive payment and get the cash in my hand, I ship the item. In state, you DO NOT have to use a FFL to ship a long gun. UPS will do it. You do want to make sure you get a copy of the buyer's DL for your records. If something looks fishy, you can always return the USPS MO before cashing it and, in turn, avoid shipping the weapon. I have yet to get burned with any USPS money orders.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The only reason I like it to go through an FFL is I don't have to be responsible for the background check for someone I can't see. If I can look at your DL, CWP, and the person I will transfer it...got to have all 3. Otherwise it goes through an FFL.

Ross7

Virtuoso
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A USPS Money Order is the only kind I accept when I've sold online. Besides the MO having strong security features (with supposedly the might of the Postal Service there to investigate any fraud), I like that it can be cashed at the Post Office.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR GUN TRANSACTIONS!!!

If you haven't been paying attention, if they find out, they'll close your account and keep the money.
    The End. No reimbursement of ANY kind.

They've also shut down any dealings with gun forums, most lately burned was RimfireCentral.com
    RFC lost nearly half a million due to their account being frozen by Paypal last year.

They are not a bank, if you break their terms of service by buying or selling guns or gun paraphenalia,
    or even are Pro-gun on Facebook accounts, they can shut your account down with NO notice,
    and you are squish out of luck. Know that they are ferverently anti-gun.
    And they've been advertising that fact quite heavily for over 5 years...

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    DO NOT USE PAYPAL FOR GUN TRANSACTIONS!!!

If you haven't been paying attention, if they find out, they'll close your account and keep the money.
    The End. No reimbursement of ANY kind.

They've also shut down any dealings with gun forums, most lately burned was RimfireCentral.com
    RFC lost nearly half a million due to their account being frozen by Paypal last year.

They are not a bank, if you break their terms of service by buying or selling guns or gun paraphenalia,
    or even are Pro-gun on Facebook accounts, they can shut your account down with NO notice,
    and you are squish out of luck. Know that they are ferverently anti-gun.
    And they've been advertising that fact quite heavily for over 5 years...

Don't ask and don't tell. LOL How would they even know???

I just sold a 2500 dollar airgun to a buddy of mine because he talked me into it. Used paypal and I shipped FedEx to NY. Yes he FF me 2500 on paypal. Do it all the time. I have sent people over 3k for an airgun using paypal FF.

I don't leave not a red cent in my paypal account and I have a totally separate banking account for them. I get money and transfer before I ship any item.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer to sell online/shipped instead of ftf especially if I dont know the person I am dealing with. Much safer for me and them in case they decide to get stupid at the meetup. If and when I do ftf deals with someone I do not know, I never go alone. As mentioned above, all you need is a copy of the recieving ffl and send it with an adult signiture required at delivery. When selling, I only accept usps money orders as they are difficult to forge, or paypal payments.

Must of been weary of the first time I rolled up eh? Should of done a wheelie... More fun that way.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Must of been weary of the first time I rolled up eh? Should of done a wheelie... More fun that way.

LOL! A wheelie on your sportbike most likely. A wheelie in you truck, naw, I dont think so!

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LOL! A wheelie on your sportbike most likely. A wheelie in you truck, naw, I dont think so!

Forgot that the first time was in my truck... Then I managed to forget things the next time... I was so pissed with myself... That one time on my bike I wanted to beat the crap out of this kid at the MCD there... Sitting chilling drinking a cold drink... and he comes up messing with my helmet sitting next to me... The stare of "This may be your last day on earth" caused him to back off... He then proceeded to mess with everyone else but me in the store lol.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Forgot that the first time was in my truck... Then I managed to forget things the next time... I was so pissed with myself... That one time on my bike I wanted to beat the crap out of this kid at the MCD there... Sitting chilling drinking a cold drink... and he comes up messing with my helmet sitting next to me... The stare of "This may be your last day on earth" caused him to back off... He then proceeded to mess with everyone else but me in the store lol.
    Yeah I remember that time you forgot. You were pretty upset but like I told at the time, I was okay with it and knew you were good for it.

JoeCorrado

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Paypal would only know if you put something in the description box or if there was an issue and you told them what the money was for. I've used it before to purchase firearms and just left the description blank. The last time the guy drug his feet for 2 weeks about shipping and had me really concerned he wasn't ever going to ship. Next thing I know they showed up at my LGS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom