• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Every year it seems something I grow exceeds it's normal production. This year it was the English peas and new potatoes. Tomato and squash plants are looking better than I've ever grown too.

Out of 3 25' rows of new potatoes I planted I usually get two, maybe 3 buckets of harvested taters. This year I got 5, probably more if I count those I dug prematurely just to taste test. And I've never grown any this size before, they are huge compared to what I normally would grow, some approaching softball size.

I don't know what was different this year but most everything I planted did exceptional so far. You think after 25 years of gardening I'm finally learning how?

Rick

Attachments

• garden 001.JPG
      garden 001.JPG
      692.5 KB · Views: 129
    • garden 005.JPG
      garden 005.JPG
      580.5 KB · Views: 129

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That's awesome, congrats on a great harvest! So how often do you water when it doesn't rain? I'm looking at starting a container garden until I move and get some land to grow a real garden. I'm thinking container plants all around need more watering than those in the ground, almost everyday instead of every other day.

Edit: One more question, how do you store all those potatoes long term an keep them fresh?

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As for watering it depends on the size of the container and what plant is in it but yea, generally they need water most everyday as the container soil dries out quickly in the heat. I would water the plot garden less as there's moisture in the soil but keep an eye on it, don't let it dry out.

I see myself canning a lot of these potatoes, there's no way we could consume them before they'd all dry out.

Rick

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom