• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, I will soon have in my possession a Henry 45-70 lever gun!

I am looking to get into reloading for this round and this round only! Most all of my other guns are rounds that don't make since to reload for.

This gun will be a hunting gun only with the occasional show off at the range gun. So I don't plan to put a lot of rounds through it. I was looking at the simple Lee Kit where it just takes a rubber/plastic mallet to knock a few rounds out. Is there anything wrong with these small little kits for loading 25-50 rounds at a time. I just can't see myself spending the money on factory ammo on this thing over the long haul. And if I can sit at the coffee table and knock a handful of rounds out during a show or something, I like that idea.

It almost seems too simple. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos of folks using this kit for 45-70.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...00162RQU8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would not use that kit. I would get a single stage press and a set of normal dies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would not use that kit. I would get a single stage press and a set of normal dies.

I know that's the typical response from most of the folks that reload. Simple fact is that I don't have a bench area I can reload at. And I don't want a permanent setup either. I will only be reloading a handful at a time for this rifle.

If I did have a bench area, I'd go with a much more elaborate setup for sure. But for $30-$50 (few extra items) I can reload simply and efficiently with a small kit like this.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't even load 45-70 on a cheap single stage press. It's a tapered case and it puts A LOT of pressure on the press. I quit loading it on my Lee Classic Turret because I was worried the press was going to break.

Ummmm, I know I'm pretty new to this round. But I was pretty sure it's a straight wall cartridge? Are you talking about a taper crimp? I have no clue about this stuff if you know what I mean. Just trying to learn.

Last edited:

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Lee single stage bolted to a 2”x6” when you need to reload use c-clamps to attach it to a counter or other stable surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mac the knife

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I am looking to get into reloading for this round and this round only! Most all of my other guns are rounds that don't make since to reload for.

This gun will be a hunting gun only with the occasional show off at the range gun. So I don't plan to put a lot of rounds through it. I was looking at the simple Lee Kit where it just takes a rubber/plastic mallet to knock a few rounds out. Is there anything wrong with these small little kits for loading 25-50 rounds at a time. I just can't see myself spending the money on factory ammo on this thing over the long haul. And if I can sit at the coffee table and knock a handful of rounds out during a show or something, I like that idea.

It almost seems too simple. But I've watched a ton of youtube videos of folks using this kit for 45-70.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precisio...00162RQU8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It states right on the advertisement for this press ? NOT TO USE FOR LEAVER GUNS!

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It states right on the advertisement for this press ? NOT TO USE FOR LEAVER GUNS!

It does simply because it does not technically have a way to crimp. But I've seen where you can put a taper crimp on it easy enough and other lever gun users on their respective forums have used it. Hmmmm.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Are you willing to sacrifice your gun, or face, or hand to using subpar reloading equipment? 20,000+ pressures aren't something to play with. Be safe and get a single stage press. The price difference is negligible compared to the hand press. As mentioned before, you can bolt it to a 2x6 and use clamps to temporarily mount it. You don't need a dedicated reloading bench, hell a kitchen counter or dining room table would work with the clamps.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    This is from the Lee site:
    The Lee Loader neck sizes only, use only with brass fired through your gun. You can reload a round in 30 seconds. Recommended if you’re loading for a bolt action rifle in small quantities.

It neck sizes only and even after several firing you would have to push the shoulders back for a bolt gun. You probably should FL size the cases. I guess it seats too? I think a roll or profile crimp might be better but that is just my opinion.

If you do end up getting this you can feel free to send me your cases to FL size. I will even clean them before I return them :). I don't believe I have a case gauge or trim stuff I would have to check. Know I can borrow a trimmer if they need it.

StorMay05

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used one for .308 when I started reloading, I know it’s shouldered case and not a tapered case like a 45-70. Just trying to run those rounds through a bolt action were a pain. I tossed several rounds out because they wouldn’t fit into the chamber without being shoved, some would go in and the bolt wouldn’t want to shut. For a hunting rifle I’d want to full length resize for ease of reloading for a follow up shot. Even with a powder scale the accuracy of the ammo produced was mediocre at best, 3-5” groups @ 100 yds.

I’d find a decent used press and go from there. Might be a little extra money but it’s very much worth it.

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use the hand press for my reloading. Works fine. Its not fast but everything I need to reload with fits away in a filing drawer. A friend of mine uses the little kit you first mention, he likes it for building just a few rounds but even he would tell you to get something else.

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I used the lee as a teen put together thousands of 38 spl , mid power wadd cutters , no problem , milk jug at 75 yrds all day , mice rats . Lot of fun , simple , dont push high power loads , they also have a hand loader looks like a pair of pliers , have it in old school look . Uses dies , have fun ,

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...ct_top?ie=UTF8

To further explain is that lever action guns do not have the camming or closing leverage and extraction of a bolt gun. For hunting purposes the cartridge should be full length resized which requires a press that has strong mechanical leverage. A stronger quality press will make sure that the resized shell is true and concentric. If your chamber if right on most single shot actions you can get away with not full length resizing depending on the loads and other factors.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Not sure why you wouldn't just spend $9 more and get the Lee Single Stage press and mount to a 2 x 6 as suggested. Seems like it would be a lot easier to use IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Reloadin...106083&sr=8-1&keywords=Lee+single+stage+press

donut slayer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Find somebody that loads for that round and use their equiptment at their place. Ask them to show you how. I'll have my new 12x20 reloading room done in a bit if you want to come use my stuff. I'm in cantonment.

Top Bottom