APOD Firearms

3 day waiting clarirfcation.... or lack there of.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, in a certain chain of pawn shops, the wait sorta begins on the day Following the Purchase Day,
    and you pick it up the day AFTER the 3-days have passed.
    As in, you buy it on Monday, that's their Day 0.
    Tuesday is Day 1, Wed is Day 2, Thurs is Day 3, and you may pick it up on Friday if you clear Background.
    Why? They aren't based in Florida and have to follow the Federal Brady 5-day as well as the Florida wait,
    so they tie it all together like that so that few feathers are ruffled.
    Was also told that they got nailed on a BATF inspection for less than 72-hrs elapsing, even tho it was 3 days
    from purchase...so they came up with that system to make all Federal Agencies happy back around '96.

They've also got 12-month layaway, so I buy a LOT of guns from 'em :)
    Also have a FL carry permit, so none of the wait affects me anymore!

Last edited:

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well, in a certain chain of pawn shops, the wait sorta begins on the day Following the Purchase Day,
    and you pick it up the day AFTER the 3-days have passed.
    As in, you buy it on Monday, that's their Day 0.
    Tuesday is Day 1, Wed is Day 2, Thurs is Day 3, and you may pick it up on Friday if you clear Background.
    Why? They aren't based in Florida and have to follow the Federal Brady 5-day as well as the Florida wait,
    so they tie it all together like that so that few feathers are ruffled.
    Was also told that they got nailed on a BATF inspection for less than 72-hrs elapsing, even tho it was 3 days
    from purchase...so they came up with that system to make all Federal Agencies happy back around '96.

They've also got 12-month layaway, so I buy a LOT of guns from 'em :)
    Also have a FL carry permit, so none of the wait affects me anymore!

I talked with my inspector about the "day 0" reference but the only thing I've been able to find for clarification in FL was the AGO 92-47 that I linked earlier. "Day" defined as 24hrs with a further example in the final paragraph:

Therefore, it is my opinion that the phrase "working day" as used in s. 790.33(2), F.S., refers to the hours between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday,[10] excluding legal holidays. Thus, if a county adopts a waiting period ordinance requiring a delay of 3 working days between the purchase and delivery of a handgun, and a purchase is made at 4 p.m., Friday, delivery could not take place before 4 p.m., on the following Wednesday. However, while s. 790.33(2), F.S., authorizes counties to adopt a waiting period ordinance, the mandate of s. 8(b), Art. I, State Const., would continue to apply.

I attempted to get clarification from the AG to see if the above still applied but I'm a "private citizen" so they told me to pound sand.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which is why I have a CC Permit...skip the Wait.
    Also have a C&R, which skips other headaches & gets me some neat deals.

Top Bottom