• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I would like to get everybody’s opinion on two materials when it comes to durability. Stainless steel vs anodized aluminum. Both frames would use a stainless steel slide so take that wear into consideration. But not considering weight. Which material would be best durability wise when it comes to rust or pitting and wear and tear. Call it shtf or whatever you want, Im interested in the durability and wear characteristics of the two materials. Or, is there a better material than these that is commonly used for firearm frames?

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am no metalurgist, but I would go with stainless steel before I would go with aluminum regardless if the aluminum was anodized or not.

Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bill Wilson once stated in an interview that an aluminum frame should last about 10k rounds. I expect a Stainless steel would last a lot longer.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Properly anodized aluminum should stand up better against oxidation and the elements, but isn’t as hard and once the anodization is lost(think slide rails) the it looses hardness.

Carbon steel is even better, and if properly ceracoted or tennifer/nitron/etc rust and corrosion shoildnt be an issue.

ETA: in handguns aluminum is pretty exclusively used in lowers/frames, and it seems everyone agrees polymer is preferable.

Last edited:

FNHman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The one firearm that stands out in my mind is the AA-12 and it's stainless. Rumoured to sit on the ocean floor for a year and come up firing, only needed to clean after 10,000 rounds. Not sure how true the whole salt water thing is but.....

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All metals that are not properly matained will degrade.
    Gun steel is heavier and stronger then gun aluminum.
    Stainless Steel is harder to machine then steel and aluminum.
    There were a lot of stories of SS on SS wear surfaces gauling. I have and had several SS guns and have seen a dozen others stripped down and have never seen a "gauling" issue.
    Unless its going to be a "carry gun" with weight as a concern, steel is the way to go.
    More weight = Less perceived recoil = faster back on target.
    Aluminum mag wells can get beat up by aggressive reloading, steel holds up better.
    Steel slide/aluminum frame has a considerably shorter accuracy/life from wear then steel on steel.
    I don't have a clue on how "anodized" treatment hold up on guns and against common cleaning agents.

Depending on you intended use, these issues may not be a factor.

Top Bottom