• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This may not be considered reloading. Not sure what to call it but got the idea from a cowboy shooter about using shotgun primers only in a revolver cartridge and use paraffin wax mix to fire a wax bullet.
    677A1A36-2C5C-4595-92E7-D6387E45972E.jpg

7FF73973-EB3F-4D54-9963-55BAAB492878.jpg

MOAR powerful than I figured it was gonna be.
    Pretty sure it would easily penetrate skin.

Can see them being useful for the cowboy people practicing quickdraw on a IDPA cardboard person.
    NOT at each other for sure!!
    Maybe some close indoor target shooting.

Attachments

• 677A1A36-2C5C-4595-92E7-D6387E45972E.jpg
      677A1A36-2C5C-4595-92E7-D6387E45972E.jpg
      168 KB · Views: 365
    • 7FF73973-EB3F-4D54-9963-55BAAB492878.jpg
      7FF73973-EB3F-4D54-9963-55BAAB492878.jpg
      123 KB · Views: 374
    Last edited:

bowfreak

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    So how does that work??? Do you drill out the primer pocket and flashhole? I have seen hot glue used and it worked well but never considered wax.

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So how does that work??? Do you drill out the primer pocket and flashhole? I have seen hot glue used and it worked well but never considered wax.

Resize case & knock out old primer.
    Figure a way to hold case and use 1/4” drill bit to drill completley through case. Use a 3/8” drill bit to create a countersink for shotgun primer to flush out with cartridge base.

Get a block of Gulf Wax from the canning section of Winn Dixie along with a small throw away aluminum pan to melt the wax in. I melted about 1/2” thick and pressed cases in after it cooled. Load in your cylinder and drop in primers.
    Blast away and knock out primers and do it all over again.

I made 18 in no time at all.
    Important to countersink with bigger drill bit tip so primers flushed out to give clearance to rotate cylinder.

Moving fast and bullet drop at 15 yards is about 10” with my 4” barrel and will go through cardboard at that range.
    About as loud as a .22

Again, I’m thinkin these are great for cowboy quick draw stuff and maybe like what Gasport did.
    Kinda fun project that was quick to do.

Last edited:

tyfo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That’s pretty cool! I made wax slugs a while back with 12 ga. Bird shot and man are they deadly! They obliterated a center block with ease! Just emptied out all shot and put it in a container, then placed all the shells standing up on a cookie sheet lined with ten foil. Melt the paraffin wax in a skillet and mix in the bird shot, then top off all your shells with the mix and your in business. The bird shot mixed with the wax acts like rebar in concrete. Just make sure you clean your barrel up after as the wax residue could technically interfere with gas pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rebel32

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea man its loads of fun made some up for my 357 get bord shot cans in a cardboard box in the liven room the old lady had a blast doing this used regular pistol primers had no issues

par87

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to love plinking at soda cans in my back yard with the subsonic .22 rounds...this would be fun to be able to do with a larger caliber.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gas Port

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea man its loads of fun made some up for my 357 get bord shot cans in a cardboard box in the liven room the old lady had a blast doing this used regular pistol primers had no issues

I used regular small pistol primers as well and was easy to knock out several hundred. Think I might start an indoor plinking range. Should be a good way to add a family fun day. I have enough revolvers to go head to head with my wife and daughters.

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That’s pretty cool! I made wax slugs a while back with 12 ga. Bird shot and man are they deadly! They obliterated a center block with ease! Just emptied out all shot and put it in a container, then placed all the shells standing up on a cookie sheet lined with ten foil. Melt the paraffin wax in a skillet and mix in the bird shot, then top off all your shells with the mix and your in business. The bird shot mixed with the wax acts like rebar in concrete. Just make sure you clean your barrel up after as the wax residue could technically interfere with gas pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah like a giant Glaser round!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I once many years ago I watched bill jordan give an exhibition using wax bullets in his modified K frame revolver. Wax slugs are mainly for revolvers and not so much for auto loading pistols. For those Airsoft look alikes are better for training.

Top Bottom