• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So in my ever ranging taste to add to my collection I have been looking into Broomhandles(and P38s/Lugers if your selling one PM me lol), and have come across the land of the copies. So far I have found a Chinese Hunan marked Bolo model. Its less than half the cost of an old beat up German C96 (its beat up too), but figured it may be a good place to start. There is not much info out there, I assume that they are good enough to not blow up in your face if fired a few times(I hope).

So then comes my other half of the question, I was able to locate the ATFs C&R list that lists all the firearms removed from the NFA (they do have that power), it seems that all broomhandles (german pre-40, Chinese pre-45, and all Spanish clones) are exempt from the NFA w/ original stock. Sooo... My other half of research is starting.. what does the ATF say about reproduction stocks? I am trying to find a letter saying GTG or NG... But no luck so far.... You guys have any leads?

Also feel free to send me a PM if selling a C96 or clone anytime soon lol...

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Found out all the information. Chinese Clones are in fact treated the same as the German ones by the ATF(listed as exempt from the NFA). Reproduction stocks are a grey area many say as long as it is very close to what the original would be for the weapon you're GTG. But others do not like that. I am getting the Chinese one I'll deal with the stock issue only if this thing shoot decent lol.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrads on chasing down a few Broomhandles.. They are beautiful..

I know a guy with a Chinese one,, It fires very very very nice.. I think Chinese broomhandles are like period Chinese Mausers.. It all depends on who made it and the quality put in it.. and how they were treated after the war...

Do not overlook the Astra 900 Broomhandle.. A beautiful weapon that has high quality..

Now my understanding of the stocks are Original ones are perfectly legal.. Reproductions are not... Ones that are such good copies that they can not be told from the other ??? Hmmm nuff said about that...

It has been my understanding that if you purchased it as Original and it is not obvious no one makes a stink of it.. But I am not a lawyer nor did I even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. :)

What Caliber are you leaning towards??? Or is that not important in this equation????

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Found out all the information. Chinese Clones are in fact treated the same as the German ones by the ATF(listed as exempt from the NFA). Reproduction stocks are a grey area many say as long as it is very close to what the original would be for the weapon you're GTG. But others do not like that. I am getting the Chinese one I'll deal with the stock issue only if this thing shoot decent lol.

You know I actually asked about this on a different forum for you and got an answer(ish) and totally forgot to post.

The general consensus, with links to ATF responses, was so long as the repo stock mimicked the original in form and function you SHOULD probably be okay.
    The weapon has to be original though, and Chinese copies up until the end of ww2 were considered original.

I also made a mental note it’s because the ATF doesn’t think the original Mauser broomhandle and stock would ever be used as a weapon:p

If I can remember next time I’m on that site, I’ll snag the links and post them here.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Congrads on chasing down a few Broomhandles.. They are beautiful..

I know a guy with a Chinese one,, It fires very very very nice.. I think Chinese broomhandles are like period Chinese Mausers.. It all depends on who made it and the quality put in it.. and how they were treated after the war...

Do not overlook the Astra 900 Broomhandle.. A beautiful weapon that has high quality..

Now my understanding of the stocks are Original ones are perfectly legal.. Reproductions are not... Ones that are such good copies that they can not be told from the other ??? Hmmm nuff said about that...

It has been my understanding that if you purchased it as Original and it is not obvious no one makes a stink of it.. But I am not a lawyer nor did I even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. :)

What Caliber are you leaning towards??? Or is that not important in this equation????

Going to check everything over and replace all the springs. If it's gtg I'm not shooting it much so good springs mean that it can be fed 7.62 Tok ammo. There is a raging debate but the fact is that the two calibers are nearly identical. If it's in good condition with good springs it is fine. If the bore is shot out I'll be looking into either 9mm sleeve or original sleeve. That is yet to be determined. The one in getting is not matching with German internals which are the stress points anyway. Anticipating a few rounds here and there should not be an issue.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going to check everything over and replace all the springs. If it's gtg I'm not shooting it much so good springs mean that it can be fed 7.62 Tok ammo. There is a raging debate but the fact is that the two calibers are nearly identical. If it's in good condition with good springs it is fine. If the bore is shot out I'll be looking into either 9mm sleeve or original sleeve. That is yet to be determined. The one in getting is not matching with German internals which are the stress points anyway. Anticipating a few rounds here and there should not be an issue.

Well I know you are not in a time & place to post some photos, but I would like to see when you do... Do not know if I would shoot the 7.62 Tok ammo.. you know its not like you are going to drill with the gun and qualify with it needing to shoot 100s of rounds at a time.. I would just get as a couple of boxes of commercial ammo for it.. and start out doing things according to hoyle... And mind you I am an ammo cheapskate. I have ever removed corrosion from surplus brass before shooting it.. So purchasing commercial ammo is not my go to plan of action..

If you do not mind, wHat do you think the cost will be if you have to put in a 9mm sleeve???? I never even thunked doing such a thing and would like to know...

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I know you are not in a time & place to post some photos, but I would like to see when you do... Do not know if I would shoot the 7.62 Tok ammo.. you know its not like you are going to drill with the gun and qualify with it needing to shoot 100s of rounds at a time.. I would just get as a couple of boxes of commercial ammo for it.. and start out doing things according to hoyle... And mind you I am an ammo cheapskate. I have ever removed corrosion from surplus brass before shooting it.. So purchasing commercial ammo is not my go to plan of action..

If you do not mind, wHat do you think the cost will be if you have to put in a 9mm sleeve???? I never even thunked doing such a thing and would like to know...

The service can be done for around 200 or so. Plus or minus. I did some research and there are a few places still doing it. Just remember no one has any issue shooting 9mm in there... 7.62 Tok has about the same pressure as 9mm... Remember that. But the absolute big thing it's there bolt stop condition and good springs. Also good night, it's midnight here and I pissed off my NCOIC so I'm getting smoked in PT in the morning I need the sleep.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also good night, it's midnight here and I pissed off my NCOIC so I'm getting smoked in PT in the morning I need the sleep.

Good for you, I know how you are, serves you right! LOL!

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Crap, just show him a photo of this broomhandle.. That will ease him back a little

Well Her... Usually my only hope when I piss her off is to outrun her... and she can run surprisingly fast... I can't wait to be back... Being in the Guard in a few months I can actually sleep past 6am... I can actually do what I want, when I want... I can also shoot all my cool old guns that are waiting at my FFL lol.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Came across this on the way to other things.. The guy who is auctioning this seems to find some rare stuff and get the prices... But that is not even the issue.. But this is one of the coolest broomhandles I have ever seen.. Shows just how diverse and wild the pre war and war time Chinese arms manufacturing was.. anyone ever see one of these before...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768517768

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Came across this on the way to other things.. The guy who is auctioning this seems to find some rare stuff and get the prices... But that is not even the issue.. But this is one of the coolest broomhandles I have ever seen.. Shows just how diverse and wild the pre war and war time Chinese arms manufacturing was.. anyone ever see one of these before...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768517768

Now that is something else. People always seem to bash the Chinese but the one thing that they do not lack is the ability to make just about anything. While there can be an argument for a lack of imagination as they copy most things. They can make anything. Even the Broomhandle in 45acp!

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tradewinds in GB/Midway has a couple M96's...one is an Astra 900.
    Was just talking to him about Star pistols and that entered into the conversation today ;)

He's probably got as much in his safes as he puts out on the cabinets...
    in that store, it pays to ask about stuff you don't see...he's got oodles.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Tradewinds in GB/Midway has a couple M96's...one is an Astra 900.
    Was just talking to him about Star pistols and that entered into the conversation today ;)

He's probably got as much in his safes as he puts out on the cabinets...
    in that store, it pays to ask about stuff you don't see...he's got oodles.

Nice I had look that place up... Not too far of a drive... When I get back I may make a daytrip to go to the CMP south store and take a bit of a detour to check that place out...

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice I had look that place up... Not too far of a drive... When I get back I may make a daytrip to go to the CMP south store and take a bit of a detour to check that place out...

It's also close to the Oak Ridge Indoor Gun Range...for...reasons ;)
    ORIGR thought it would be a good idea to be sitting close to the store with the most guns in Santa Rosa County.
    Easy way to remember where it is, is Right Across from the Camping World RV center on 98...
    I used to zoom by it at Warp 9 before I figured out to use the RV center as a marker :D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom