• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ammunition plants and much worse are powder production facilities often go up. Fireworks factories are the worse of the worst for going up and killing people.

Former badger army ammunition plant. Different processing areas are separated. The most dangerous things are often very far away from everything else like where they make nitroglycerine that is used in double base powders,
    Badger_Army_Ammunition_Plant_view.jpg

Attachments

• Badger_Army_Ammunition_Plant_view.jpg
      Badger_Army_Ammunition_Plant_view.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 254

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why "supposedly" ? From the link in the OP:

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      30 KB · Views: 242

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Ammunition plants and much worse are powder production facilities often go up. Fireworks factories are the worse of the worst for going up and killing people
    View attachment 63832
    Not just fireworks factories, I remember all the fireworks for a 4th of July show catching fire with 2 dead and another severely burned because of a careless mistake. Ft. Myers area back in 03, think it was a cigarette but not real sure as I was busy with my wife helping her settle her mother’s last husband’s affairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not just fireworks factories, I remember all the fireworks for a 4th of July show catching fire with 2 dead and another severely burned because of a careless mistake. Ft. Myers area back in 03, think it was a cigarette but not real sure as I was busy with my wife helping her settle her mother’s last husband’s affairs.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Careless use of fireworks for sure. A few years ago, I think in Peru, a street that specialized in fireworks vendors caught fire and a block or two was destroyed and a lot of people killed. I have often felt that I would have been justified in shooting tracers in the general direction of the idiots that fire fireworks rockets that landed on my forested areas of my little estate. Real bunch of rectal apertures for sure.
    Wiki version of it
    The Mesa Redonda fire occurred on Saturday, 29 December 2001 in Lima, Peru. The disaster killed at least 291[1] people and injured at least another 134.[2]
    Origin

In 2001, the Mesa Redonda shopping center, located in Central Lima, consisted of largely of wood and adobe houses lining narrow streets. In December, fireworks merchants were known to sell their goods for holiday celebrations.[3] Wary of the danger, the municipal government of Lima declared the area an "emergency zone."[3]

The fire began at about 7:30 PM on the night of 29 December when a fireworks display created a chain reaction, setting off the fireworks of other nearby vendors.[4] A spark from the demonstration had landed on a stockpile of fireworks, creating the initial explosion.[5] The aftermath created a "wall of fire" that spread for four blocks and raged for several hours.[4]

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Back when I ran a seismic recording crew I had to fire a couple of idiots for playing with bottle rockets. They started a major fire north of Lake Charles,La. I have forgotten how many acres they caused to burn but it was over 1000.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They don't say what types of ammo or flammable component materials were consumed by the fire. Common firearms ammo poses little ballistic risk when burned,, even in large quantities. The main hazard is flame, radiant heat and toxic smoke not flying bullets/brass shrapnel from cook off. Cases fail without imparting full directional pressure to projectiles. There's a vid of a bulk ammo fire, standard Firefighter Bunker gear is adequate protection from projectiles. Bulk raw or processed materials are a much larger danger of explosive hazard. Small arms ammo is specifically packaged "as to not hinder nearby firefighters".

Fireworks carry exposed fuses, rockets carry their own pressure containment to achieve directional thrust and ultimately the explosive. Mortars need a base firing tube for directional control but otherwise are the same. These combined features allow simultaneous detonations, ballistic flight and detonations away from the initial conflagration area, randomly expandang the impacted area.

Small arms ammo falls well below fireworks on Hazard Charts.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here is a video produced by SAAMI on sporting amunition involved in fires and the firefigher. It is a bit long but is very interesting.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pepcon...3.5 on the richter scale. Hint, it ain't the first two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGSx54CkWsQ

That one caught the attention of every Firefighter in the world.
    Probably would have helped if they hadn't put a chemical plant right over a natural gas pipeline...

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pepcon...3.5 on the richter scale. Hint, it ain't the first two...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGSx54CkWsQ

That one caught the attention of every Firefighter in the world.
    Probably would have helped if they hadn't put a chemical plant right over a natural gas pipeline...
    Gas pipelines routinely go to chemical plants; there is an old gas pipeline that crosses the Escambia wet lands and also river going to the Ascend/Solutia/Monsanto site. I do not know if it is active.
    Below is a satellite photo the gasline going across the escambia river.

There also used to be some sort cyclo hexane tower that if it blew up would have taken out some neighborhoods.

Inkedgasline monsanto_LI.jpg

Attachments

• Inkedgasline monsanto_LI.jpg
      Inkedgasline monsanto_LI.jpg
      438.2 KB · Views: 71

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Attachments

• 1CFA3FEB-1885-4DCD-A7D0-04A8887F79A5.jpeg
      1CFA3FEB-1885-4DCD-A7D0-04A8887F79A5.jpeg