• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know that 855A1 hasn’t hit the market yet in any significant quantities, but anyone have some thoughts on this “green” round?

I read pretty much only the Army is using them since they cut weapon life in half from what I have read. Can’t say I have seen that just yet.

We used em on the last couple deployments along with various other match, Black tip etc. I gotta say I like what 855A1 does. Seems to hit harder and it does a number on tissue which is the goal I suppose. And you don’t have to worry about all that lead which for career soldiers depending on specialty can be a worry.

Hope to see this round hit the market soon and not be prohibitively expensive. Sure isn’t a match round but seems to group better than green tip.

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, Palmetto has had this for a while, and me and a captain at work were trying to figure out what the deal was, but since we're powerpoint rangers, we couldn't figure it out. So thanks for pointing it out.

It looks like the last several orders I placed were for the new version. Very interesting change.

Here's some powerpoint material for ya :)

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      114.8 KB · Views: 268

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seen some 7.62x51 built the same way. Man if the original wasn’t nasty enough this new one is going to be a monster on the receiving end

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So what is XM855? Is it the same as the M855?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    So what is XM855? Is it the same as the M855?

Same construction as M855, but didn't meet a military specification such as not shiny enough or small dent in case or too low velocity or too high velocity or imperfect primer sealant...military ammo has to be as perfect as it can, as it Must go bang and function perfectly.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same construction as M855, but didn't meet a military specification such as not shiny enough or small dent in case or too low velocity or too high velocity or imperfect primer sealant...military ammo has to be as perfect as it can, as it Must go bang and function perfectly.

Thanks Daezee.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I read pretty much only the Army is using them since they cut weapon life in half from what I have read.

I would like to know more about that or how they came to the conclusions. The bearing surfaces are the same.

IMG_1906.jpg

only PowerPoint version I have ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1906.jpg
      IMG_1906.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 187

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what I read the different propellant, and increased velocity is what is doing the damage. Noticeable at about 8k rounds but by that time you are looking at a new barrel anyway. For a military rifle anyway. And I guess they are not feeding on the M4 ramps correctly causing damage to where the upper and barrel mate which is very bad.
    I hadn't seen an issue in my issued carbine, but then again we rarely shoot 8k thru them with replacing a bunch of stuff preemptively

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    the velocity is only about 50 or so fps faster in carbine length and more pressure....so I guess that could give you some additional throat erosion. I wonder how close to CFE223 it is since it has fouling prevention. I know they will stick to a magnet pretty strong compared to green tips and the stuff might be pretty hard ....so I could see it possibly galling feed ramps by 8K rounds...but no more than the bolt lugs would have worn by then. 8K might be hard on anything :D

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    From what I read the different propellant, and increased velocity is what is doing the damage. Noticeable at about 8k rounds but by that time you are looking at a new barrel anyway. For a military rifle anyway. And I guess they are not feeding on the M4 ramps correctly causing damage to where the upper and barrel mate which is very bad.
    I hadn't seen an issue in my issued carbine, but then again we rarely shoot 8k thru them with replacing a bunch of stuff preemptively

the velocity is only about 50 or so fps faster in carbine length and more pressure....so I guess that could give you some additional throat erosion. I wonder how close to CFE223 it is since it has fouling prevention. I know they will stick to a magnet pretty strong compared to green tips and the stuff might be pretty hard ....so I could see it possibly galling feed ramps by 8K rounds...but no more than the bolt lugs would have worn by then. 8K might be hard on anything :D

Like Red was saying. It depends on which blog/site/article you read/believe.

Higher pressure, more wear and tear in general on the system. Penetrator is causing more wear on the feed ramps.

Old article, but worth a read.

https://gruntsandco.com/army-vs-marine-rifle-round-like-believe/

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know that 855A1 hasn’t hit the market yet in any significant quantities, but anyone have some thoughts on this “green” round?

I read pretty much only the Army is using them since they cut weapon life in half from what I have read. Can’t say I have seen that just yet.

We used em on the last couple deployments along with various other match, Black tip etc. I gotta say I like what 855A1 does. Seems to hit harder and it does a number on tissue which is the goal I suppose. And you don’t have to worry about all that lead which for career soldiers depending on specialty can be a worry.

Hope to see this round hit the market soon and not be prohibitively expensive. Sure isn’t a match round but seems to group better than green tip.
    On the environmental health issues of lead. In a normal lead core military round there are two sources of lead from firing a cartridge. The priming composition usually contains lead and this make deposits near the firing line, especially with the impingement gas system of the AR design. Military bullets with a lead core can have some small amount of lead vaporized off the exposed projectiles base. The military for green purposes is concerned where the lead core goes down range relative to contaminating training areas. So eliminating the lead from the projectile makes it green. But until the primer is lead free if you are concerned about lead accumulation from firing AR type rifles then wash your hands and face afterwards.

Top Bottom