• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I basically ditched windows operating systems about 8 years ago and now run Linux distros only on my laptops. Right now I run Manjaro dual booted alongside Linux Mint just in case for a backup system. On my son's laptop I have it multibooted with Windows 7, MxLinux, and Fedora. Any one else delve into Linux, Unix, or even Mac OS? Just curious.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started off my venture into Linux distros with such as Puppy, Tiny Core, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinuxOs, SparkyLinux, LXLE, Bodhi, 4MLinux, RoboLinux, and quite a few others trying them all out to see which was suitable for me until I settled on Manjaro. The labtop I have now came with LinuxMint Cinnamin desktop preinstalled of which I did not like so I wiped the drive and installed LinuxMint with the XFCE destop and installed Manjaro with the XFCE desktop along side for a dual boot setup.

Last edited:

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Thinking of dual booting Ubuntu onto my current PC since I'm trying to teach myself C. I have visual studios but I feel like it's cheating. Most of the other software I find is unix based as far as C is concerned. Trying to learn enough to merge into Ladder Logic for PLCs and automation. The next decade or so automation is gonna be where the money's at.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No. I'm responsible for over 300 computers at my job. The last thing I want to do when I come home is tinker with or fix a computer.
    At home we have a desktop and a laptop with Win 7, and a micro desktop with Win 10.

The latest Windows versions, though they are resource heavy, are a lot more stable than previous versions.

If I need Unix type tools for work functions, I just install an emulator.

bohica793

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did software development for over 40 years prior to retiring a little over a year ago. My eyes glaze over even thinking about coding again. I spend my time working with my hands now, not computers.

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont do any coding or computer work as a job. It is more of a hobby type of play toy thing for me.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I dont do any coding or computer work as a job. It is more of a hobby type of play toy thing for me.

Well damn I didn't know you were that savy... I love messing around with coding and what not (there has to be some reason). Over here I wanted to create a NAS solution so I ended up buying a Rock64 board that has USB3.0 and gigabit Ethernet. Have a light version of Ubuntu 16.04 configured for a SAMBA server from my external HDD (Movies here are easy to come by lol have 3tb out of 4tb full of them). I do not have time for linux to be my main computer but enjoy the occasional stint with it. I wish I had more free time as I would be learning how to code... My laptop while I am over here is full of games and other fun stuff have a VR headset (WMR) that I mess with but its just a distraction (it hit 100 today). I love messing around with computers...

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well damn I didn't know you were that savy... I love messing around with coding and what not (there has to be some reason). Over here I wanted to create a NAS solution so I ended up buying a Rock64 board that has USB3.0 and gigabit Ethernet. Have a light version of Ubuntu 16.04 configured for a SAMBA server from my external HDD (Movies here are easy to come by lol have 3tb out of 4tb full of them). I do not have time for linux to be my main computer but enjoy the occasional stint with it. I wish I had more free time as I would be learning how to code... My laptop while I am over here is full of games and other fun stuff have a VR headset (WMR) that I mess with but its just a distraction (it hit 100 today). I love messing around with computers...
    I am not that computer or tech savy. My wife says I am more like "sassy" instead. :sad:

spongemonkey

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Is that board similar to a rasberry pi or arduno (spelling) board?

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Win 10 and android, all I use

Same here... I do way too much hacking and rooting to be messing with apple crap. The only apple crap I have owned was given to me from work and then I would sell them...

It's like the new Mavic Pro Plat (drone) I bought. Can't do much to it having apple crap.

sportsbud

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is that board similar to a rasberry pi or arduno (spelling) board?

Similar to a Rasberry PI (Ardrinos have nothing on it) it has the same footprint as a Rasberry PI and can use many of the enclosures for it. The main difference is that it has 4GB of ram and a far more powerful CPU. It also has native gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0 which is why I chose it. For a NAS solution it makes it half the cost of pre-built NAS enclosures with just about the same performance. It also works better with emulators I do believe PS1(maybe PS2) and older run really good on it.

Whisky

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Same here... I do way too much hacking and rooting to be messing with apple crap. The only apple crap I have owned was given to me from work and then I would sell them...

It's like the new Mavic Pro Plat (drone) I bought. Can't do much to it having apple crap.

Yeah...... because you can't hack or root anything apple. My Mavic pro is also hacked using Apple, pretty simple stuff!

Tradewind

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not a computer guy, most of these posts look like a foreign language to me. I use Windows 7 on my laptop and Android on an old Samsung G4 phone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom