• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have only ever seen pictures of the Gibson Maps. Haven’t had one come thru the shop. I’ve seen a couple on eBay and reverb.com selling for $2000-$3000
    Not my taste or style but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I had a chance to get this one through a friend of mine in Mobile that sold Gibson and Fender. As awkward as it looks, it's actually a pretty good player. I just couldn't pass up the chance to get one when I had the chance. I believe they have been reissued under the Epiphone name in the last few years as well.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Epiphone is Gibson's "Value Line". Great guitars. Fit & Finish is usually pretty decent,
    but the electronics are of cheaper quality. In fact, I've got 3 Epi's in the stable.

Les Paul Goldtop for me, the Les Paul Pee Wee & the Les Paul Vee Wee for my boys :)
    Setup is often the most important thing, as a half-acre setup makes a guitar sound wrong...
    so getting the setup right is often more important than the guts...one can make a cheap guitar
    sound great through a good setup, where with a bad setup it'll always stink.
    So get Good Strings to setup with...no cheap stuff, no off-brands unless you are feeling lucky.

Next step is electronics, upgrading the pickups & wiring,
    heck, just checking if everything is soldered correctly is a good start...
    then make sure the pickup magnets are ALIGNED right & at the proper heights...
    if you do all that and the sound still isn't what you want, better pickups are called for.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Epiphone is Gibson's "Value Line". Great guitars. Fit & Finish is usually pretty decent,
    but the electronics are of cheaper quality. In fact, I've got 3 Epi's in the stable.

Les Paul Goldtop for me, the Les Paul Pee Wee & the Les Paul Vee Wee for my boys :)
    Setup is often the most important thing, as a half-acre setup makes a guitar sound wrong...
    so getting the setup right is often more important than the guts...one can make a cheap guitar
    So get Good Strings to setup with...no cheap stuff, no off-brands unless you are feeling lucky.

if you do all that and the sound still isn't what you want, better pickups are called for.

My very first guitar was an Epiphone, made in 1958 in Kalamazoo. A pretty nice acoustic, can't recall the model number. When his daughter and I divorced I gave it back to him.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Got an Epiphone in the closet that according to a search of the serial number was made in Malaysia
    I’ve always thought it was a knock -off, but I don’t know anything about guitars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LowriderRed, FYI, there’s an Epiphone map for sale on Craigslist in Naples for $900(?) I think, it sure but from the pictures it looked pretty good. I know it’s not a Gibson but it’s as close to a Gibson you can get and not spend a couple grand for a novelty guitar. I saw it listed a couple of days ago and I’ve been meaning to let you know about just for shits and grins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

This is very very good advise. There’s a ton of upgrades you can do to make a guitar sound and play better but if it hasn’t been set up properly, you’re wasting your time and money.

Top Bottom