• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apparently, they make many other instruments, under many different brands like Wurlitzer.

It does sound like most of thier creditors are wanting to work with them to preserve the business.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gibson decided to focus on rich baby boomers.The Les Paul Standard ($289.50 in 1959) has crept up to $6-8000 for "True Historics". The crash in 2007-8 woke up a lot of the boomers,more and more are dying off,and finally guitar based rock god music has about run it's course save for some dinosaurs out there.Those seeking to follow the path laid out by the Claptons,Hendrixes,and Pages cannot afford a used Gibson,much less a new one.Thay's one reason you see so many Fenders,etc. among newer musicians.Fender opened a plant in Ensenada and started turning out good versions of their staples at far reduced pricing from their Corona counterparts.Gibson was stuck with high labor and material costs as well as having the government go after their wood supply at one point. Anyone can make a bolt-on plank guitar but Gibsons are harder to duplicate without going overseas to cut labor costs.The Chinese are probably salivating to buy Gibson.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I guess I will forever be kicking myself for buying a Strat instead of the Gib Les Paul many moons ago. Dang it.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Gibson decided to focus on rich baby boomers.The Les Paul Standard ($289.50 in 1959) has crept up to $6-8000 for "True Historics". The crash in 2007-8 woke up a lot of the boomers,more and more are dying off,and finally guitar based rock god music has about run it's course save for some dinosaurs out there.Those seeking to follow the path laid out by the Claptons,Hendrixes,and Pages cannot afford a used Gibson,much less a new one.Thay's one reason you see so many Fenders,etc. among newer musicians.Fender opened a plant in Ensenada and started turning out good versions of their staples at far reduced pricing from their Corona counterparts.Gibson was stuck with high labor and material costs as well as having the government go after their wood supply at one point. Anyone can make a bolt-on plank guitar but Gibsons are harder to duplicate without going overseas to cut labor costs.The Chinese are probably salivating to buy Gibson.

Most of the stringed instruments Gibson makes are high quality, professional grade pieces. I've owned a few of their guitars, and a few Fenders as well. Both have their place in the music world, and I'm certainly NOT a professional. It's a very sad situation to see Gibson struggling and maybe shut down.

Red

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’ll be sad indeed if they go under. I always meant to get one in sunburst like Jimmy Page but it’s out of my league now. I’m not good enough for that kind of quality anyway

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Thanks. My original question was not a rhetoric one.

polebarn

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’ll be sad indeed if they go under. I always meant to get one in sunburst like Jimmy Page but it’s out of my league now. I’m not good enough for that kind of quality anyway

Jimmy-Page_2_Neil-Zlozower_600.jpg

Attachments

• Jimmy-Page_2_Neil-Zlozower_600.jpg
      Jimmy-Page_2_Neil-Zlozower_600.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 140

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I saw a video about the Mexican made fenders(I think it was fenders), about how many of the workers work at both facilities using the same technics and materials. One line is for the priests, the other for the frugal.

Hmm can’t help but wonder, since I know little about guitars, if there isn’t a way to save it by pulling a smith and Wesson?
    You know, you can still find plenty of 1,000$ revolvers and steel pistols in a smith catalog, next to the 4-600$ polymers and snubs, and then the 300$ sigmas and bodygaurd’s. They’ve got a model in just about every price range save the most bottom and top shelf. Then look at colt,

I wonder if Gibson could do like danner boots, or GM and maybe import some entry level “value line” stuff, badge it as their own and get their foot into the entry level. Yes, the snob will take exception but with the alternative being a legend on the brink of oblivion(or worse, as polebarn said gets the name poached by someone)....
    It is sad. I don’t play guitar or ride motorcycles, but names like Harley Davidson Gibson and Colt are Synonymous with American.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I saw a video about the Mexican made fenders(I think it was fenders), about how many of the workers work at both facilities using the same technics and materials. One line is for the priests, the other for the frugal.

Hmm can’t help but wonder, since I know little about guitars, if there isn’t a way to save it by pulling a smith and Wesson?
    You know, you can still find plenty of 1,000$ revolvers and steel pistols in a smith catalog, next to the 4-600$ polymers and snubs, and then the 300$ sigmas and bodygaurd’s. They’ve got a model in just about every price range save the most bottom and top shelf. Then look at colt,

I wonder if Gibson could do like danner boots, or GM and maybe import some entry level “value line” stuff, badge it as their own and get their foot into the entry level. Yes, the snob will take exception but with the alternative being a legend on the brink of oblivion(or worse, as polebarn said gets the name poached by someone)....
    It is sad. I don’t play guitar or ride motorcycles, but names like Harley Davidson Gibson and Colt are Synonymous with American.

Fender does have some models made in Mexico. And Japan. And Korea. And I'm not sure where else. The sad thing about Fender is that they've been in the toilet for 50 years. CBS took over in 1967 and the quality went down the tube, kind of like when Harley Davidson was sold to AMF. To lose Gibson would be a tragedy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Losing Gibson would be tragic to say the least but to be honest, they have been pricing themselves out of the market. I bought a brand new Gibson J-200 in 1993 from Gruhn in Nashville for $1500.00. Today you can’t find a used one for that money. Now would be the time to invest in a couple of Gibsons if you can. Be careful if you do. I own and operate a guitar shop here in Englewood FL and I’m starting to see Gibson counterfeit guitars coming into the shop for adjustments, new strings, etc. These guitars are made in China, they have made in USA stamped in the back of the headstock nd have a serial number as well. The fit and finish on some of these guitars is pretty good and could fool an unwitting buyer. Do some research if you’re going to buy a Gibson online from an unknown seller. Gibson.com will instruct you how to interpret the serial number so you can tell what year the guitar was made. This would be helpful if the seller says the guitars is a 1995 model and the serial number indicates that it’s not. If you suspect you may have a fake, get the serial number and pictures if you can and call Gibson. Tell them you suspect you may have a fake. They have been very helpful whenever I’ve called with questions. Buyer beware, just like anything else in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Losing Gibson would be tragic to say the least but to be honest, they have been pricing themselves out of the market. I bought a brand new Gibson J-200 in 1993 from Gruhn in Nashville for $1500.00. Today you can’t find a used one for that money. Now would be the time to invest in a couple of Gibsons if you can. Be careful if you do. I own and operate a guitar shop here in Englewood FL and I’m starting to see Gibson counterfeit guitars coming into the shop for adjustments, new strings, etc. These guitars are made in China, they have made in USA stamped in the back of the headstock nd have a serial number as well. The fit and finish on some of these guitars is pretty good and could fool an unwitting buyer. Do some research if you’re going to buy a Gibson online from an unknown seller. Gibson.com will instruct you how to interpret the serial number so you can tell what year the guitar was made. This would be helpful if the seller says the guitars is a 1995 model and the serial number indicates that it’s not. If you suspect you may have a fake, get the serial number and pictures if you can and call Gibson. Tell them you suspect you may have a fake. They have been very helpful whenever I’ve called with questions. Buyer beware, just like anything else in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

Have you ever had in your shop a Gibson "Map" guitar? I managed to get one back in 1986 and I gave it to my nephew about 3 years ago. He's a MUCH better player than I am and since I have no kids he was going to get it one day anyway. Just curious what kind of value a guitar like that might have today.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have you ever had in your shop a Gibson "Map" guitar? I managed to get one back in 1986 and I gave it to my nephew about 3 years ago. He's a MUCH better player than I am and since I have no kids he was going to get it one day anyway. Just curious what kind of value a guitar like that might have today.

In that case, can I have your ruger 22?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have only ever seen pictures of the Gibson Maps. Haven’t had one come thru the shop. I’ve seen a couple on eBay and reverb.com selling for $2000-$3000
    Not my taste or style but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

LowRiderRed

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In that case, can I have your ruger 22?

Wellllllllll......lemme think about that................NO!

Plus you'd have to be a little more specific. I have more than one.

Top Bottom