• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CokeZero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just got a new anderson rf 85 treated m4 and it has no optics. I'm saving for a eotech exps3. but in the mean time i was thinking about getting some iron sights.

My question is are iron sights still needed after I get the eotech?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Folding iron sights can be useful with a 1x optic as you can flip them up to do a quick check on the optic still being sighted in. You can check to see that the optic's dot is in the same place relative to the iron sights once all are sighted in. If co-witnessed, you can quickly sight in the optic by simply moving the dot until it sits on top of the front sight.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second flipup iron sights. They will still be useful after you get you desired optic. We don't know how long it will be saving up for the EOTech, some folks its weeks other my be much longer. Do get "Irons" first but you might want to follow that with a quality Dot at a lower cost (like a Sparc). When you are ready to buy the EOTech, you can sell the Sprac. I think a bunch of folks here use te Sparc or Sparc II. They sell on here pretty quick when priced below retail.

Watch out for airsoft versions of iron sights and fake EOTtech units also. You can search the Net for info on both.

CokeZero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I second flipup iron sights. They will still be useful after you get you desired optic. We don't know how long it will be saving up for the EOTech, some folks its weeks other my be much longer. Do get "Irons" first but you might want to follow that with a quality Dot at a lower cost (like a Sparc). When you are ready to buy the EOTech, you can sell the Sprac. I think a bunch of folks here use te Sparc or Sparc II. They sell on here pretty quick when priced below retail.

Watch out for airsoft versions of iron sights and fake EOTtech units also. You can search the Net for info on both.

Honestly that's why I havent bought irons already. I'm not sure how to tell the ones I look at are for airsoft or not. unless it blatantly states it in the title/description.

Any local stores around here have them for a good price?

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly that's why I havent bought irons already. I'm not sure how to tell the ones I look at are for airsoft or not. unless it blatantly states it in the title/description.

Any local stores around here have them for a good price?

Buy from a reputable source, and dont purchase at an unrealistically low price.

Primary Arms just had Diamonhead aluminum sights on sale, for $85 (I grabbed a set). Regularly $160

Diamondhead USA Diamond Integrated Sighting System

Droshki

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Samson makes great sights, and Nate is a trusted source. There ya go.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I'll do mbus sets for $65 otd..... Slash rears in black are out of stock at all my distributors

Last edited:

nitro

Tired and retired.
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    PM sent, Nate.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I'd really like a set of iron sights but I'm so lost. There are so many. I know I want folding. That's about it. Price seams to be from way cheap to too much lol

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recommend Nates Deal in Post #9. I'm pretty sure you will never beat that price. Nate's a Dealer with a great Reputation! You don't need to worry about "Airsoft sights" with him.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'll do mbus sets for $65 otd..... Slash rears in black are out of stock at all my distributors

I have a related front sight problem for little Jack or anyone else. I have 16 inch barreled AR up set up with carbine gas tube and the front sight is on the gas tube. The front sight is much too close for my 70 old plus eyes to achieve proper focus.
    If I remove the sight post from the current front sight. Is there any way of placing a front sight near the flash hider of the proper ht? I would prefer not to remove the flash hider. I have a carrying handle mounted rear sight with two position flipping peep sight.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    ill take a set of the mbus sights

I'm waiting on rears to come back into stock. I've got some backordered and an email notification in. Just playing the waiting game.

I have a related front sight problem for little Jack or anyone else. I have 16 inch barreled AR up set up with carbine gas tube and the front sight is on the gas tube. The front sight is much too close for my 70 old plus eyes to achieve proper focus.
    If I remove the sight post from the current front sight. Is there any way of placing a front sight near the flash hider of the proper ht? I would prefer not to remove the flash hider. I have a carrying handle mounted rear sight with two position flipping peep sight.

There are some clamp on options (just sight or combo gas block/sight)out there. Most are for a barrel diameter of .750". You'll have to check your barrel profile to make sure it'll fit. Yankee hill has a few options. This architek is AK....ish. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-15-fixed-clamp-on-front-sight-prod85934.aspx.

You can put on the yankee hill versions without taking the FH off.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ignore this. Nate's "Fix" is simpler/cheaper. I hadn't seen those before. Live and learn

Fixed carrying handle and front sight? Don't want an optic? You may want to rig something to approximate the sighting distance to see if a longer radius will actually fix your vision issue. Change gas block and install long free floating quad rail, install proper height front sight. That's the only idea I have that would provide a strong base for the tall sight you will need. Its not going to be cheap. Good luck

Last edited:

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fixed carrying handle and front sight? Don't want an optic? You may want to rig something to approximate the sighting distance to see if a longer radius will actually fix your vision issue. Change gas block and install long free floating quad rail, install proper height front sight. That's the only idea I have that would provide a strong base for the tall sight you will need. Its not going to be cheap. Good luck
    I can use the open sights on an AK or glock pistol and also the sights on my PTR91. I may eventually put something like an aim point on that AR like I have on my AK. Right now I need to find out about Co-Witness working with an aperture sight set up and before I put out for money for an optic I simply want to shoot that AR in 7.62x39 to see if I want to keep it. Might just go back to my MAK 90. Now that I have cleared a lot of tree and underbrush away from my homestead I can see two hundred yards and figured the AR type rifles might be better for longer range shots.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "PTR91" . . . A REAL PTR91 with accessories ??? ---- SAWMAN
    Mine is basic without a rail mount on it, without the paddle mag release, and only the normal l USA legal semiauto trigger group. I have a vortex variable power on it. Be nice if it was an HK91.

Top Bottom