• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeb21

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A while back, I bought a lightly used Glock 19 5th gen and before I get to my thoughts on the gun let me say that I own three 3rd gens (22, 23, 26) and one 2nd Gen (22). I do not mess with my glocks. I leave them stock - including the sights and the trigger. One of my 22 was a police trade in and the previous owner installed factory iron night sights. My other 22 has a nickle finish, also put on it by the prior owner. I don't customize my Glocks because they fit me fine and because, for my purposes, stock is just fine. I view them as working guns - and in my case mostly farm guns (which is why I have so many in 40 cal. I want more power if I have to shoot a rabid animal ).

Now as to my Glock 19 5th gen. I like it. The biggest surprise for me was the factory trigger. It is very crisp and significantly better in my opinion than the stock triggers in the 3rd gen and 2nd gen. I don't know the poundage of the pull but I think it is a bit more than the 3rd gen, but I still prefer the 5th gen trigger.

I have 1000 rounds through it at this point with 115 grain FMJ from Freedom and so far no issues at all. I have shot the gun in 4 IDPA matches and it runs well. The factory plastic sights shoot to point of aim in my hands with the 115 grain load.

I also like the grip texture. Much more secure with damp hands than the 3rd gen or second gen pistols.

I have used 4th and 5th gen mags and aftermarket mags in the gun with no issues at all.

What I don't like (and I suspect the cause of the prior owner trade it) is the stupid carve outs on the bottom front of the grip frame. This is supposed to allow you to rip out the magazine if need be. However, for someone with large or meaty hands that half moon carve out might irritate the 4th or 5th fingers of the shooting hand. Fortunately, for me, this is not an issue. But for some shooters I can imagine this would be a huge negative.

I live in Cantonment and shoot at ERGC. If anyone is considering buying a 5th gen and want to try one out PM me and I will meet you at the range so that you can run some rounds through it.

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I’ve seen a lot of talk about that cutout but didn’t even notice it when firing one. I did feel the need to shower twice afterwards,

Didn’t the gen 2’s have the same cutout?

Top Bottom